*Urgent* Help Weatherizing My Fish/Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maybe get some of those Hot Hands things? I know hunters will put them in their boots and gloves to stay warm. You could put a few of them around the tank and then wrap with blankets or foil or something to keep the heat in.

Will you have access to hot water? If so maybe you could periodically check the tank temps and take a cup of hot water and pour a bit in as needed to maintain a suitable temperature.

Maybe get some of those Hot Hands things? I know hunters will put them in their boots and gloves to stay warm. You could put a few of them around the tank and then wrap with blankets or foil or something to keep the heat in.

Will you have access to hot water? If so maybe you could periodically check the tank temps and take a cup of hot water and pour a bit in as needed to maintain a suitable temperature.
We will have two fires running and maybe a camp stove, so maybe.

Ok, so I will have access to water downstairs, just not upstairs. So I guess I could periodically get cold water and heat it up by the fire, then pour it into the tank.

I'm really hoping none of this actually happens, I'm just getting prepared. I'm not even going to open the packages until I absolutely need them.

I really hope none of this happens.

(I am getting 4 of the baby bubble pumps)

You don't have heaters?

Not to brag or nothin but this photo was just taken out my front window....?

20210210_092502_HDR.jpg

An inch of ice ain't nothin. Hehe.

Fair enough that you're probably not used to cold weather down there, as it's usually 2,000 degrees, but hey, it is possible to survive it! We do it for MONTHS every year.

You may experience power outages, as ice storms tend to demolish power lines. But I would agree that covering the tanks with blankets is the cheapest, most readily available prevention for you. I doubt you'll be down on power long though. Your weather down there will thaw the ice very fast, should it arrive. I'd be more worried about inexperienced drivers....

We will have two fires running and maybe a camp stove, so maybe.

Ok, so I will have access to water downstairs, just not upstairs. So I guess I could periodically get cold water and heat it up by the fire, then pour it into the tank.

I'm really hoping none of this actually happens, I'm just getting prepared. I'm not even going to open the packages until I absolutely need them.

I really hope none of this happens.

(I am getting 4 of the baby bubble pumps)
Is your oven in the kitchen electric or gas?
If gas, no problem heating water...if electric, use the camp stove.

Is your oven in the kitchen electric or gas?
If gas, no problem heating water...if electric, use the camp stove.
It's electric, unfortunately. However, we do have a propane grill. (We will be saving all of the gas for food though.)

OK, how about your neighborhood, does it have underground wiring? Do you live in an older neighborhood with fully growth trees? Typically in ice storms, they get the main lines up quickly, it is the older neighborhoods which may be down for a long time. The worst storm in our area, we lost power for 9 days.

Another suggestion, move your fish to a big cooler and cover it with blankets.

Tell your dad, just keep some faucets dripping instead of draining all the water lines. Every once in awhile, just turn on the water to warm the pipes back up.

Mark

OK, how about your neighborhood, does it have underground wiring? Do you live in an older neighborhood with fully growth trees? Typically in ice storms, they get the main lines up quickly, it is the older neighborhoods which may be down for a long time. The worst storm in our area, we lost power for 9 days.

Another suggestion, move your fish to a big cooler and cover it with blankets.

Tell your dad, just keep some faucets dripping instead of draining all the water lines. Every once in awhile, just turn on the water to warm the pipes back up.

Mark
I live out in the middle of nowhere, if that answers your question... my closest neighbor is 2 miles away.

Wouldn't catching all the fish and moving them be super stressful? I would like to have them all stay in their tanks...

I keep hot water bottles (the old red rubber grandma kind) and have them handy. They are good to keep on the outside of the blanket on the tank, like one side. They are also good for keeping people warm.

An inch of ice ain't nothin. Hehe.

Your weather down there will thaw the ice very fast, should it arrive.

I live in western New York, the land of lake effect snow. We average around 100 inches (250 cm) of snow every year. A storm dumping 2 feet of snow means we stay home for a day then back to normal.

An inch of ice is completely different, it took 2 week to fully restore power in our metro area when a major ice storm hit and this was with utility crews from neighboring states coming in to help. The ice may melt in a day but by then the damage is already done. Even experienced drivers can't drive on a sheet of ice.

So with all due respect, I disagree.

Mark

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back