Red alert weather warnings

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I wet a hand towel in cold water last night, wrung it out and draped it over me in bed...was absolutely gorgeous! Kept me cool and was easier to sleep...gave both my kids a damp teatowel each as well and they slept well too. My little boys room is the hottest in the house, we wrapped some cardboard in tinfoil and put them in his windows to reflect the sun...worked a treat 👍🏻

I do pity the blokes at the pub behind the wall at the back of my flat. They have been constructing a metal framed extension to the pub's original conservatory for the last week or so.

They are out there, working on fitting the roof panels and supports today. I can hear them banging away at the fixtures and lifting the sections that are about 8ft x 6ft strengthened glass.

They must be absolutely roasting in what is currently 97 degrees that is due to rise to 104 degrees by 4pm.

Frankly I am amazed that they are working today...they were yesterday too. Hopefully the pub is keeping them well hydrated.

My husband went shopping this morning, the bus drivers were all wearing shorts and T shirts instead of uniforms. He says the busses were nearly empty as were the roads.

My son's flat backs onto the railway line. He tells me there was a lot more freight traffic than usual during the night and he hadn't noticed any trains by 11 this morning. The lack of passenger trains is because LNER have cancelled all trains from London, and the Transpenine service between Redcar and Manchester has been cancelled for today.

Son's rubbish is usually emptied mid afternoon on Tuesdays. They came around 10 this morning instead.

The secondary school my children attended is closed today. Lessons will continue on-line as during Covid lockdowns.

The town on the other side of the river had problems yesterday. A water main burst and 4600 people were without water for 7 hours. The supermarket ran out of bottled water.

All curtains on the south of our house are closed because of the current heat. Try to keep the place as cool as possible. And water the plants in the backyard is without effect. The soil dries up that fast. For also the backyard is on the south. I'm staying indoors at this point. I do love such weather with my background. But since the COPD has gotten worse (and I also have asthma and hay fever) and I already felt the pressure on my chest, I'd better stay indoors. But I also have to be careful that my blood won't thicken with such weather.
I'm just wearing my swimming trunks because of the heat...
IMG_E2824[1].JPG

And I'm keeping the temperature down for my tanks as well. The thermometer that's shown was not in the water but it's air temperature.

It's not due to get that hot here, thank goodness. Down south it may do. We keep all sun-facing curtains drawn every time we have a heatwave and it's currently 26 deg C in the house. Going outside is like walking into an oven.

My curtains are all closed, fan is on overtime....27 degrees indoors and 99 degrees outside

It had better flippin' well rain tomorrow....or else....

If Elon musk needs volunteers for his mars trip , I’m available ASAP
When earth betrays you this hard with weather violations I’m all up for abandoning this planet right now

I had Barney a walk at 6:30 this morning and it was cloudy,breezy and 22 degrees.After about 25 minutes Barney was vomiting and he began swaying like he was about to pass out.I panicked and carried him back to the van and straight home where I had closed all the blinds.Currently 28 here,so Barney won’t be out til it cools well down.
A guy was arrested yesterday for leaving his dog in the car,I hope they throw the book at him because we all know not to do that by now surely.Hopefuuly the rains that are predicted arrive and with it some much needed cool weather.

I get soooo angry when I see people walking their poor dogs in this weather 😡 in fact, my blood boils! Playing games at home to make their brains work is just as good as physical exercise 🧐

About an hour ago I took a thermometer from the kitchen drawer. It read 27.5 deg C. I went outside and stood in the shade - 38 deg C.
We do not have air con, but we do have cavity insulation and curtains with thermal linings which are kept closed during a heatwave. It works.

Edit to add, that's 82 deg F and 100 deg F

Most reactions

Back