Rainbowfish ID help

Eridinus

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
91
Reaction score
3
Points
8
Anyone know what this is?
Is it just a very green turquoise?
 

Attachments

  • 09B90A76-3A78-4E96-983D-FF118159C9EF.webp
    09B90A76-3A78-4E96-983D-FF118159C9EF.webp
    124.2 KB · Views: 320
The rainbowfish in the picture is Melanotaenia boesemani. It's either a female or juvenile and will grow to about 4 inches. They need hard alkaline water and should not be kept with Pseudomugils or anything small.
 
The colour is typical of juveniles and females.
 
Okay, thank you for your help Colin!

Guess you would strongly advise against having it in a 5 gallon for about 2 weeks? I plan to set up a 55 gal using well established media and water to hopefully insta-cycle.
 
In Colin's rainbowfish link in your other thread, there is a photo of a boeseman's that looks very similar to your photo.

Don't forget these are shoaling fish. If there is just that one in a tank of other fish at the shop you would need to find some more from somewhere else.
 
In Colin's rainbowfish link in your other thread, there is a photo of a boeseman's that looks very similar to your photo.

Don't forget these are shoaling fish. If there is just that one in a tank of other fish at the shop you would need to find some more from somewhere else.

Oh yes of course, but she was on her own and I would love to have her and then stock it up to about 6 or so. But my point is I can't provide full space yet and she would need to be in a 5 gal for 2 or 3 weeks, but I know several places I can get more boesmani within a 15 minute drive.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top