Question About Parrots

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Balloons&killies

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok so i got anothr parrot today , but im usually weary about letting fish bite me , but i know blood parrots can really bite?

Mine are only like 3" so should i test this theory?

Why not? Video it too! LOL.. Only worry about big fish and fish with teeth! If you find you are comfortable then look up noodling! :crazy:

LOL u usually do that with my angels but they dont hurt, im gunna do it later but i just got one of the parrots yesterday so i might wait until hes alittle comfortable,

LOL u usually do that with my angels but they dont hurt, im gunna do it later but i just got one of the parrots yesterday so i might wait until hes alittle comfortable,

So then, where's this video?
:D
LOL i know lol
i still have to get it ready
lol
ill have it up soon

Do you guys think 3 parrots would be fine with angels in a 55g?
i was thinking 1 kingkong

a 55 gallon is ok for ONE bp.

for two you need 75+ and for three you should have over 100+ if not more.

it would be tight in my honest opinion - - thing about parrots is they are not only lengthy - but VERY BULKY and massive waste producers. also, they are still cichlids and can display serious territorial tendencies. While they may not be able to bite very well - they can be massive bullies -ramming other fish into wall and decor and herding other fish into one corner and harassing anyone who ventures into "their" area.

KKP get even larger than BP so your best bet is to just have one BP in the 55 unless you can upgrade

i have kept parrots once before for qute a while and yes they can bite but never had a problem with them hurting me as they cant really close ther mouth,

hope this helps

Parrot bites are nothing to worry anbout though they can take you by surprise. King Kongs can draw blood though.

Parrot bites are nothing to worry anbout though they can take you by surprise. King Kongs can draw blood though.

I have a pretty big sized parrot, they're bites surprise me/make me jump but they dont hurt whatsoever.
Also, alot of people say they're territorial/aggressive. Neither of mine were ever territorial or aggressive except every now and then to each other, but nothing serious. They were male and female, and even laid eggs a couple times. No babies thought, since most of them are infertile from being hybrids. My uncle has a 175 gallon tank that they were in originally, and didnt want them anymore. I didn't want him to put them down so he gave them to me. I had both of the in a 30 gallon, and they actually thrived just fine.. They were always by themselves though, no other fish, until the male died. The females been with other fish many times.

I wouldn't recommend having them in anything smaller than a 55 though, especially a pair. or else their growth will stunt.
even though i have one in a 30. :X

I've noticed a lot of the blood parrots LFS's are selling are the one's without the beaks.
They got their names for having those beaks and they cannot bite you, even though they may try...
It looks to me like the one's without beak shaped mouths COULD actually bite.
I had 2 Blood Parrots with the beak shaped mouths. Bought them small and started them in a 29 gallon, then up to a 55 and then a 90. They were the most personable fish I have ever owned.
I wouldn't think keeping two in a 55 would be too terrible if they had good filtration and you keep up with water changes. Of course, bigger is always better for them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back