Python cleaners

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ella777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Pythons, are they actually worth it? I have a 200L tank and I want to start doing 50% water changes each week. It takes about an hour with a jug and a large bucket, how much faster would it be if I was using a python?
I read some of the reviews online and most of them are good, but they all say about the water waste when draining?
I need opinions!

I have the JBL version which is basically the same thing just a black fitting for the tap, it is definitely worth it but I understand the waste of water to empty it the traditional way, my solution was to add a pond pump to empty the tank with using the system then I leave it connected when its time to fill up and it flows through the turned off pump.

In my 300 litre tank I can theoretically be done in 30 mins for a water change - though I like to clean the substrate into a bucket with a separate hose, it can be done with a python but not with a pump - and clean all the glass down so I'm usually 45-60mins.

I have the JBL version which is basically the same thing just a black fitting for the tap, it is definitely worth it but I understand the waste of water to empty it the traditional way, my solution was to add a pond pump to empty the tank with using the system then I leave it connected when its time to fill up and it flows through the turned off pump.

In my 300 litre tank I can theoretically be done in 30 mins for a water change - though I like to clean the substrate into a bucket with a separate hose, it can be done with a python but not with a pump - and clean all the glass down so I'm usually 45-60mins.
How do pythons work? Why is there waste when the water is coming out of the tank?

How do pythons work? Why is there waste when the water is coming out of the tank?
I've tried a few ways to explain it but probably best to find a video but the reason its wasteful is you need to run the tap into the drain in order to empty the tank. But if you use a pump you don't have to do this.

running the tap water across the line going to the tank, creates a vacuum, that sucks out the water... most faucet hook ups, & consequently the drains in sinks, are higher or as high as most tanks... if you had a hook up & drain lower than the tank, you could shut off the water, once the syphon was created & water was flowing downhill, otherwise you need to run your faucet to keep pulling water from your tank...

I've used various versions of the python, which is a high quality hose connected to a water bed draining device. Water beds were a fad, but they helped the hobby.
I didn't waste water. I used gravity. As long as the tank is above the drain gravity will work, and toilets are low down. I drained into one, til I moved all my fish into a room with a floor drain.
If you use the water bed attachment, it's very fast, but wasteful.
The python was a great buy, the aqueon I bought after was garbage, and I now have a potable water safe hose and a quick release that I use. It saves the lifting. It's faster. If I were buying the python type system again, I would get the python brand because the hose always kinked less than the smaller diameter (slower) Aqueon. I haven't seen the JBL though. In fact, I would want to look at Python again, as shrinkflation and corner cutting my have hit there too. You don't want a cheap rigid hose that kinks. Kinks cause pinhole leaks, though each device I've used has been good for 10-15 years.

Thanks for people who's brains are working today haha!
I can't wrap my mind around your system either! Have also been wanting a cost effective (as in, I probably can't afford a python) way to change out the water faster and without buckets after I've done the substrate cleaning with a gravel vac into buckets.

With a decent length hose, I could drain the tank water (would need a net or something over the end in the tank, to avoid curious baby fish or shrimp going out the window) that I could drain outside the windows, directly into the flowerbeds and/or pots. I take the buckets of old tank water outside to feed the garden plants and save some for indoor plants too anyway, full of nutrients for plants.

The Python "pump" part that connects to the faucet is actually a two-way valve; it both drains and fills the tank.

But the "draining" aspect requires the faucet to be running, which is both wasting the faucet water, but draining the tank, at the same time, via a venturi effect.

I use gravity instead to drain the tank, as mentioned above...place the pickup-tube end of the Python hose into the tank, stretch the hose out of my door to my flower bed, then physically suck on the drain end of the hose with my mouth to get the water draining from the tank...many fear getting tank water in their mouths using this method, but you have plenty of time (around 7 seconds, with the 25 foot long version of the Python) between suction and tank water actually reaching the drain end of the Python.

After the tank has been drained for the amount of water I want to remove, I then hook up the Python to the sink to refill the tank.

Python water changers (and others that are similar) are well worth the $$$ for performing water changes; I wouldn't do WC's without one.

The Python "pump" part that connects to the faucet is actually a two-way valve; it both drains and fills the tank.

But the "draining" aspect requires the faucet to be running, which is both wasting the faucet water, but draining the tank, at the same time, via a venturi effect.

I use gravity instead to drain the tank, as mentioned above...place the pickup-tube end of the Python hose into the tank, stretch the hose out of my door to my flower bed, then physically suck on the drain end of the hose with my mouth to get the water draining from the tank...many fear getting tank water in their mouths using this method, but you have plenty of time (around 7 seconds, with the 25 foot long version of the Python) between suction and tank water actually reaching the drain end of the Python.

After the tank has been drained for the amount of water I want to remove, I then hook up the Python to the sink to refill the tank.

Python water changers (and others that are similar) are well worth the $$$ for performing water changes; I wouldn't do WC's without one.

@Essjay I'm concerned about temperature change, whether using the hot water from the mixture tap using gas central heating is okay? I have no idea if we have a water tank in the attic...

Does the boiler turn on when you run hot water? If it does you have a combi boiler. If the boiler stays off even if you run the hot tap for 5 minutes, it's coming from a cylinder. There are systems where the water in the cylinder comes from the mains, but it's more common for the water in the cylinder to come from a header tank in the attic.

If you do have a combi boiler, you can use hot and cold from a mixer tap to refill the tank. With a header tank, it depends if you are confident it's not got anything nasty in it. I don't trust ours (we've had too many wasps nests in the attic treated with insecticide, and dead wasps in the header tank) so I boil a kettle and refill with buckets.

I couldn't live life without them. I hook mine up to the hose in my front yard and the "waste water" irrigates my grass. For my display tank and a couple others I refill with tap but my water (according to my API test kit) comes out of the tap at 20ppm nitrates. I have an RODI unit that I mix with tap water for my breeding tanks to lower PH/Nitrates.

That being said I would say I save 60-70% of my time using a python. I've also used it hooked to the sink and usually throw a rag over the connection to keep the water spray from going all over the counter and it's just as effective. The nice thing about using the sink is you can dial in temperature pretty close when filling your tanks back up. They're worth the money imo

I have a cheap water pump and a long length of clear plastic hose.
The pump has suction cups so I position the pump inside the tank just above where I want the water level to be, before I start adding water back in. So at 30% for example. I use a little plastic clamp to keep the end of the hose aimed at the drain in the bathroom, and then I turn the pump on. I forget about it normally until I hear the pump starting to sound a little different. It means that the water level is almost level with the pump, so I unplug the pump and move it out of the tank so that the suction doesn't siphon anymore water out.

I have a big 50 litre bucket for water changes, I place it in the shower and fill it with water. I have a thermometer so I can match the temperature to the tank's (aquarium tank) water. I add water conditioner, and give the bucket a really good stir. Then I use the pump to pump the conditioned water in the bucket directly back into the tank. I either use a piece of aquarium sponge and a cable tie over the hose, or a piece of clean bubble wrap on the surface of the water so that the clean water flowing in doesn't mix up the sand and disturb fish/plants.

It's miles easier than buckets and bottles which I used to use. I had to find a better affordable system to make water changes less of a chore. I normally look at Pintrest or read an article while occasionally glancing at the tank so that I don't over fill it. The only hands-on part is filling the bucket with water and conditioning it.

I do water changes on my 280L, 105L and 54L this way, and it's really easy and quick.

Water Pump (€26)10 Meters of Hose (€17)Clamp (€8 for two)
1709097297753.png
1709097441266.png
1709097536048.png

Those are the links and prices, about €50 for the whole set up if you bought them today. I payed closer to €40 when I got them though. I chose that pump because it's strong enough to pump the water vertically up and into my 280L. This one can pump water 3 meters vertically.

Compared to the python systems available to me, it's half the price and can actually pump the water.

I have a cheap water pump and a long length of clear plastic hose.
The pump has suction cups so I position the pump inside the tank just above where I want the water level to be, before I start adding water back in. So at 30% for example. I use a little plastic clamp to keep the end of the hose aimed at the drain in the bathroom, and then I turn the pump on. I forget about it normally until I hear the pump starting to sound a little different. It means that the water level is almost level with the pump, so I unplug the pump and move it out of the tank so that the suction doesn't siphon anymore water out.

I have a big 50 litre bucket for water changes, I place it in the shower and fill it with water. I have a thermometer so I can match the temperature to the tank's (aquarium tank) water. I add water conditioner, and give the bucket a really good stir. Then I use the pump to pump the conditioned water in the bucket directly back into the tank. I either use a piece of aquarium sponge and a cable tie over the hose, or a piece of clean bubble wrap on the surface of the water so that the clean water flowing in doesn't mix up the sand and disturb fish/plants.

It's miles easier than buckets and bottles which I used to use. I had to find a better affordable system to make water changes less of a chore. I normally look at Pintrest or read an article while occasionally glancing at the tank so that I don't over fill it. The only hands-on part is filling the bucket with water and conditioning it.

I do water changes on my 280L, 105L and 54L this way, and it's really easy and quick.

Those are the links and prices, about €50 for the whole set up if you bought them today. I payed closer to €40 when I got them though. I chose that pump because it's strong enough to pump the water vertically up and into my 280L. This one can pump water 3 meters vertically.

Compared to the python systems available to me, it's half the price and can actually pump the water.
Thank you, I've just ordered those items and they should be arriving today or tomorrow. How long does it take roughly?

Thank you, I've just ordered those items and they should be arriving today or tomorrow. How long does it take roughly?
Cool! The system works great for me, I hope you'll have the same success 🤗

I've never timed it properly, but I can say that it's far far quicker than buckets and bottles I used to use. It probably takes me somewhere around 40 minutes to do a 70% water change on my 280L. Only five to ten minutes of that is actual hands on work though. I only need to keep an eye on things.

Probably takes 10-20 minutes for the 105L.

For me, the flow of water being drained or pumped back into the tank is the same as a tap turned fully on. It's fast but it's still slowish if you're changing 200L of water 😁

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back