Pleco Appreciation Thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pocoyo the sailfin was upside down for almost an hour last night trying to get at this piece of cucumber I put in for him. It's a special treat so he was quite pleased with it.

Attachments

• poco_cucumber.jpg
    poco_cucumber.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 57
He found a hiding spot, it'll be fine...
I've spotted him... hes wedged himself inside a couple of big plastic leaves......even though there is huge bog wood and a cave in there for him...typical ?
I'm going to put a mussel in for him tonight. Should I leave it in overnight for him as I know they like to come out when the lights off?

Last edited:
I've spotted him... hes wedged himself inside a couple of big plastic leaves......even though there is huge bog wood and a cave in there for him...typical ?
I'm going to put a mussle in for him tonight. Should I leave it in overnight for him as I know they like to come out when the lights off?
Leave it overnight, but not more than a day....I never have tried feeding molluscs, just veggies, so not sure if it will foul the water if it's left in there longer...

Leave it overnight, but not more than a day....I never have tried feeding molluscs, just veggies, so not sure if it will foul the water if it's left in there longer...
I'll get some water ready tonight in case i need to do a water change tomorrow, it was just going to be an extra treat to say welcome home. Maybe a fortnightly treat if he likes it.

I'll have to attach it to something so i can find whats left if the morning.

I'll get some water ready tonight in case i need to do a water change tomorrow, it was just going to be an extra treat to say welcome home. Maybe a fortnightly treat if he likes it.

I'll have to attach it to something so i can find whats left if the morning.
Yes, BE SURE you are able to find the leftovers (if any) after a day, so that you can remove, if necessary...

Yes, BE SURE you are able to find the leftovers (if any) after a day, so that you can remove, if necessary...
I've put it in now on a kebab skewer, but I have a feeling when/if he has a little nibble it will come off anyway. However it will be easier to find up this end of the tank than the other end under the bogwood.
I've also turned the main light off and just put the red one on...im not sure if its a myth about red lights up thought jagger might like it dimmed down.

That's him hiding in the green and ive put mussle down behind it.

Attachments

• 20210311_170856.jpg
    20210311_170856.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210311_122600.jpg
    20210311_122600.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 54
Ps....red light seems to have worked....he came out for a swim around about 10 mins after turning the light from normal to red.
Or a very big coincidence

I would not worry about never seeing a Hypancistrus sp. pleco, like L066. They are carnivores, more so than omnivores or herbivores, so I would throw a shrimp pellet into your tank overnight and give it a courgette once per week or so. They like shellfish, but if you only have one pleco, I would chop a small sliver off your mussel or prawn and throw it into the tank at night.

When I had L260s, I only saw them if I snuck into the living room in the middle of the night with my headtorch's red light on, and they would still scuttle away. My L199s, also a Hypans species, are a bit less skittish. But it has taken more than a year for my Panaque maccus to pop into sight during the day.

I have many plecos, but some (most) are camera shy.

Here are three of them;
Albino BN is Ghost, he's a big boy and easy to get a photo of as long as he has something delicious to eat!
20150518_190649.jpg

20161008_154319.jpg

The calico BN female is Mrs. Muir (as a very young Mrs., lol)
088.jpg

The watermelon royal pleco (L330) female is Belle
IMG_20210311_222521.jpg

My other plecos are:
  1. Royal pleco male L027 name is Thor; still a baby
  2. Peckoltia sabaji L124; Cookie Dough
  3. Five clown panaque L104/162 in order of purchase; Mars Bar, Mr(s). Goodbar, Twix, Butterfinger and Watchamacalit :lol:
  4. BN male, velvet black (offspring of Ghost & Mrs Muir) named Greyere
  5. BN female, albino (offspring of Ghost & Mrs Muir) named Eggnog
  6. Two pecoltia not 100% on the species (closely resemble L080/L049 and L140) and one is slightly different than the other, but they are both striped black and white and both named Reese's.
  7. Two small super red BN yet to be sexed
  8. Scarlet cactus pleco, L025, juvenile
  9. Three Hypancistrus L004
  10. Two BN males, black-small, unlike Ghost, lol
Not plecos but neat pleco-like catfish
  1. Three Caracas whiptail cats
  2. Three red lizard cats, L010A
I have had:
Sultan plecos L264
Ghost plecos L141
Rubbernose plecos L402
Green phantom plecos L200 the Hemiancistrus subviridis not Baryancistrus demantoides
Chubby plecos

I would like to aquire some more L141 and Chubby plecos in the future. The Sultans were beautiful and social but I don't have room for them any longer.

What can I say, I love plecos...?

Attachments

• 20150518_190649.jpg
    20150518_190649.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210311_222521.jpg
    IMG_20210311_222521.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I have many plecos, but some (most) are camera shy.

Here are three of them;
Albino BN is Ghost, he's a big boy and easy to get a photo of as long as he has something delicious to eat!
View attachment 131448
View attachment 131451

The calico BN female is Mrs. Muir (as a very young Mrs., lol)
View attachment 131449
The watermelon royal pleco (L330) female is Belle
View attachment 131450

My other plecos are:
  1. Royal pleco male L027 name is Thor; still a baby
  2. Peckoltia sabaji L124; Cookie Dough
  3. Five clown panaque L104/162 in order of purchase; Mars Bar, Mr(s). Goodbar, Twix, Butterfinger and Watchamacalit :lol:
  4. BN male, velvet black (offspring of Ghost & Mrs Muir) named Greyere
  5. BN female, albino (offspring of Ghost & Mrs Muir) named Eggnog
  6. Two pecoltia not 100% on the species (closely resemble L080/L049 and L140) and one is slightly different than the other, but they are both striped black and white and both named Reese's.
  7. Two small super red BN yet to be sexed
  8. Scarlet cactus pleco, L025, juvenile
  9. Three Hypancistrus L004
  10. Two BN males, black-small, unlike Ghost, lol
Not plecos but neat pleco-like catfish
  1. Three Caracas whiptail cats
  2. Three red lizard cats, L010A
I have had:
Sultan plecos L264
Ghost plecos L141
Rubbernose plecos L402
Green phantom plecos L200 the Hemiancistrus subviridis not Baryancistrus demantoides
Chubby plecos

I would like to aquire some more L141 and Chubby plecos in the future. The Sultans were beautiful and social but I don't have room for them any longer.

What can I say, I love plecos...?
You certainly do love them ?
I take it they are all kept in different tanks. Id like to get an albino BN to, they are stunning, do you think it could co exist with my L066? but I only have a 123L tank

Well something has had a good chomp on it over night. This is all that's left.

Attachments

• 20210312_071237.jpg
    20210312_071237.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210312_071246.jpg
    20210312_071246.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back