Please help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NerithyisaNxkki

Reaction score
Hi there, i recently got a 30 times 30 times 30
aquarium but due to too much decaying plants had to do a complete overhaul of the tank (was very bad). Now im stuck with a tank of 1 cory, 4 guppies and 5 neon tetras in a completely uncycled tank. Is there a way to temporarily hold all my fishes so i can safely do a cycle before re-introducing them back into the tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated (and no i will absolutely not euthanise any of my fishes to save the rest because i commonly hear its the best option to reduce the number of fishes to perform a fish-in cycle)

A bigger plastic box with a heater and an air stone. What exactly happened with your plant? Some new plants experience melt back for the first month or so. This is normal and will sort it self out. The plant is stressed when moved and needs time to adapt. How long did you have the plant before it started to decay? Did you add soil for plants underneath your gravel or nutrient tablets.

Side note: Guppy prefer harder water and neons and cories prefer softer water. It's not a big deal these spices are pretty hardy, just some advice.

You can get a chemical like API Quick Start.

Wait, is the tank damaged?

There is no point in moving them to something else that is uncycled. How do you know that your tank needs cycling again and how did you manage to lose the cycle? As mentioned above, you have a mix of hardwater and softwater fish so my advice would be to return/sell/give away the fish, cycle the tank and then restock it with suitable fish. You will struggle to keep them all happy, healthy and alive in your current situation unfortunately

Reduce feeding to a couple of times a week.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding, and any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm.

When the filter has cycled, you can increase feeding and do a water change and gravel clean once a week.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-------------------
You can add some liquid bacterial supplement (available from most pet shops). I recommend adding a double dose every day for a week, then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the bacteria near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

I would suggest adding Tetra Safe Start Plus to you tank. It has the correct bacteria to help jump start your tank.

A bigger plastic box with a heater and an air stone. What exactly happened with your plant? Some new plants experience melt back for the first month or so. This is normal and will sort it self out. The plant is stressed when moved and needs time to adapt. How long did you have the plant before it started to decay? Did you add soil for plants underneath your gravel or nutrient tablets.

Side note: Guppy prefer harder water and neons and cories prefer softer water. It's not a big deal these spices are pretty hardy, just some advice.
Had the plant fo quite some while? Give or take one month. Its an aqua-Terrarium set-up (a mixture of an aquarium and a terrarium) and thus, the plants are supposed to be above water but somehow, still manage to wilt and decay with watering. The decayed plant matter got into the water and in the gravel, and water turned brown really fast. Thus i got rid of the plants and planted new ones higher than before and cleaned out the gravel. Fishes are dying soon, red gills and swimming issues already spotted.

There is no point in moving them to something else that is uncycled. How do you know that your tank needs cycling again and how did you manage to lose the cycle? As mentioned above, you have a mix of hardwater and softwater fish so my advice would be to return/sell/give away the fish, cycle the tank and then restock it with suitable fish. You will struggle to keep them all happy, healthy and alive in your current situation unfortunately
I currently cannot refund the fish nor have anyone to give/sell the fishes away.

Reduce feeding to a couple of times a week.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding, and any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm.

When the filter has cycled, you can increase feeding and do a water change and gravel clean once a week.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-------------------
You can add some liquid bacterial supplement (available from most pet shops). I recommend adding a double dose every day for a week, then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the bacteria near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.
hmm, I dont have any water test kits or allowed to get one ( my mum says im over reacting thus im not allowed) nor do i have access to a way to gravel clean except emptying out the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back