Please help! (molly appetite/lethargy)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

misshedge

Reaction score
Hello. I've posted about Dipstick before, when she was pregnant (unfortunately, all fry were eaten.... but that's not the topic here).
Dipstick is a dalmatian molly, and I've had her for about.. 6-7 months? She's been doing fine until about a week ago. She's not eating and hasn't been.. she tries to take some food but then spits it out. I've surfed around a bit to find some info, and I just now did water tests, but I haven't found anything.

Tank size: 13 gallon
pH: 8.0 - 8.2 (couldn't tell from color)
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 0 - 5 ppm
kH: ? (I don't have tests for it)
gH: ? (same)
tank temp: stays 77-79 F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Lethargic, major decrease in appetite, wiggling sometimes (I've read about wiggling..), stays in any corner of the tank or behind the filter, normal coloration

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 30-40% every week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: None - I use jugged spring water (I've had people tell me that's bad, but she and the other fish have been fine with it)

Tank inhabitants: 1 dalmatian molly (Topic fish), 4 neon tetras, 1 lyretail guppy, 1 bristlenose plecostomus

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None (I had a small algae clump on some driftwood, but it looked like BBA, and I removed it)

Exposure to chemicals: None (?)

Digital photo (include if possible): I don't think it needs a photo - I've not seen any discoloration, worms, or fungi. Please tell me if you need one though.

could we perhaps get a photo. it could possibly give us some more information. or even just something you have overlooked.

Sure, I'll try to get it very soon. (Another thing I forgot to add on the post is that most of the time, her back fin clamps as she wiggles.)

These are the best I got, very sorry. (Slash is being a camera hog... oops.)

Attachments

• 1002172009.jpg
    1002172009.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 1002172009b.jpg
    1002172009b.jpg
    697.7 KB · Views: 189
4 neon tetras,
Neon tetras and mollies need different water parameters, Mollies like hard water while tetras prefer soft.

I use jugged spring water (I've had people tell me that's bad, but she and the other fish have been fine with it)
In most cases jug water is NOT fine, jug water can vary from batch to batch and have or not have god knows what in it, Just because it is safe to drink dont mean its safe for fish.

Neon tetras and mollies need different water parameters, Mollies like hard water while tetras prefer soft.

In most cases jug water is NOT fine, jug water can vary from batch to batch and have or not have god knows what in it, Just because it is safe to drink dont mean its safe for fish.

Okay, well, I'm just looking for help with my molly. Do you have any information about her condition? I'm just worried about her.

What brand of jug water are you using? This could have something to do with the problem.

What brand of jug water are you using? This could have something to do with the problem.
This is going to sound bad (I promise I care about my fish), but I use the great value spring water. I have no source of income, and [I know, I know, don't trust everything you read online] I read that it was alright to use. I could convert to conditioned tap, but not sure if this will stress them out too much?

I've watched her for a little bit tonight while the light was off. She's swimming around a lot, still on one side of the tank, but she's swimming up, down, and around a lot. She sometimes gravitates toward the top but then swims back down; she seems to do better when the light is off. Could this have something to do with it? Grasping at straws here, I know,, but I don't know what else to do.

Alright, so I did my feeding, and she ate (minimally, but she ate) and is swimming around well. Not a definite fix, but slow improvement. Should I try pellet food for her or stay with the flakes? (asking a lot of questions. sorry.)

no just stay with the flakes for now. you dont want to go to quickly. also never be sorry for asking questions. it is why we are hear and it is mostly what a forum is for. all your questions are always welcome as there is always going to be somebody who will benefit from it.

Thank you. I regret to inform that Dipstick died overnight.

thanks :sad: I am wondering if I should get some sort of tank mate for my lyretail guppy. Do they need a companion or are they alright by themselves? The tetras school together, and Slash just kinda chills toward a corner of the tank. He doesn't seem to be unhealthy at all, just lonely. He used to follow the mollies around (I had another, but he died over a vacation week when someone else was taking care of them), but now the tetras won't let him in with them. Any suggestions for tank mates or should I leave them alone?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back