FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Assuming it was aquador which raised my Ph so violently are there any alternatives you would recommend or a buffer you would recommend using it in combination with?

I found this: http://www.seachem.com/discus-buffer.php Would it do the trick if used in combination with aquadur?

Also I added my soil and gravel. Soil yesterday at noon and gravel this morning. The filter has been off up till now when I removed some of the mechanical filter media and replaced it with foamy stuff recommended by my LFS to trap dirt. I have now switched the filter on. Attached is a picture of the cloudy water, is this normal? How long do you think it will take to settle down?

Also I have attached a picture of the bottom of my aquarium depicting air bubbles all over the bottom, is this of any significance?

Thanks again for all your help.

Cameron

Attachments

• IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 124
The cloudiness is normal when adding a substrate. The bubbles are likely just air that was trapped in the dirt when it was added. They won't stick around for long. A filter floss material should capture a good amount of the particulate causing the cloudiness in a few hours to a day or two. Cloudy water like that is not harmful to the fish. They will be fine with that.

Regarding the Aquador, I've never used straight RO and had to remineralize, so I don't have an alternative to offer you unfortunately.

Using RO as a means to bring down the minerals in hard water is fairly common, however. You could use peat in your filter to lower the pH more in line with your target, but that just means more cost. Adding some wood would also help to lower the pH. But, this will discolor the water. Activated carbon in the filter would remove the tannins eventually giving you back a clearer appearance.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

My tank is now crystal clear with all the necessary substrate added. And the Discus will be with me the day after tomorrow. Perfect!

If you're interested on how I am going to plant my tank I have a couple of questions over on another thread I just created: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/442483-plants-for-discus-tank/

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Cameron

Where is your pH now with the substrate?

It was at about 7, it has now risen back up to 8. To remedy the problem I have bought some eheim torf pellets, (peat moss).
Will this work?

I then have one more question, what is my Daily and Weekly maintenance. I so far have it at this:

Daily - Feed Fish - Add Liquid CO2

Weekly - Add JBL Ferropol - 25% Water Change - Add Kh Raiser after water change

Liquid CO2:http://www.swelluk.com/easy-life-easycarbo/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3ZS-BRD1xu3qw8uS2s4BEiQA2bcfM_CEbCdODcj9LH7X7H8alyMrpSnsxjXUVPJBLlbeJpIaAno88P8HAQ

JBL Ferropol: http://www.swelluk.com/jbl-ferropol/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3ZS-BRD1xu3qw8uS2s4BEiQA2bcfMz9L5DgJNqUBU1Opmb0d10I50iv_WbBBA-tXbyp7YCoaAvSM8P8HAQ

I know you are not a fan of liquid CO2 but the real thing is out of my price range for the time being.

Is this all I have to do weekly and daily? Is there any more maintenance you would advise me doing? Am I using the correct products, (links above).

Also is there any maintenance I have to do monthly?

Thanks again for all of your help I couldn't be doing this without you!

Cameron

Correction I no longer plan on adding liquid CO2 because I have been told it kills Valesneria. Will JBL Ferropol do the trick or do I need something else?

"Liquid CO2" does kill valisneria and some other plants.  It is also a 'poison' and could be a problem for fish if overdosed.  Some are adamant against it.  

Not familiar with that fertilizer product.  I have used the Seachem Flourish, etc. supplements in the past.  

Your maintenance schedule sounds pretty good.  The pH being that high still might be a problem.  

To remedy my Ph problem I am using peat moss in the filter in the form of Eheim Torf Pellets, (link below). 

Torf Pellets: http://www.arkpetsonline.co.uk/eheim-torf-pellets-1-litre-chemical-filtration-with-net-bag-p-4877.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3ZS-BRD1xu3qw8uS2s4BEiQA2bcfM61C0eSWRk8Zpd9lxFaZ9tlsX7C0N6DYyz_HPpnmQGMaAthF8P8HAQ

Also just to confirm is there no daily maintenance, except feeding the fish?

Also for the plants I know some people also use tablets planted in the substrate, would you recommend me doing this in combination with or instead of my liquid fertilizer or not at all?

Also for my liquid fertiliser I only have 100ml so if there is one or a combination of products which have worked well for you in the past what would they be? 

Finally regarding lighting I have 2 Juwel Nature and 2 Juwel Day fluorescent tubes, (link below). Each tube is 1200mm long and is 54W. I have been told on another thread that using both halves of the lighting unit would be bad for the discus, would you agree? I also have timers for the lights, what do you recommend I set them to?

Juwel Nature: http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/More/Lighting/Lighting-Tubes/High-Lite-T5-Lighting-Tubes/HiLite-Nature-1200-mm-54-W-Tube-T5-54W-T5-1200-mm.html

Juwel Day: http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/More/Lighting/Lighting-Tubes/High-Lite-T5-Lighting-Tubes/HiLite-Day-438-mm-24-W-Tube-T5-24-W-T5-438-mm.html

Thanks again,

Cameron

I'm far from an expert on discus and their preferences regarding lighting.  

I must have missed the peat tablets part.  Yes, that should help.  The good news regarding the lighting is this:

The peat tablets and the peat in the substrate you added should release tannins into the water (tannic acid) and that will darken the water (yellowish-brown tint) meaning that the light intensity won't be nearly as bright for the fishies.  :D

I had typed out a long addition to the post above.  In my opinion, adding the nutrients to the substrate would be the preferred method.  Definitely best in terms of keeping less TDS in the water column.  And when the nutrients are in the substrate, the plants have access to them, but not the algae.  :nod:

One easy to use (and economical) option is gelatin capsules that you fill with Osmocote+ fertilizer.  I've been using this for about a year and have been very happy with the results.  The Oscomote+ 'balls' last about 6 months or so.

The beauty of these, as I see them, is that they remain in the substrate (as mentioned above) and even if you 'overdose' these capsules, it just makes for a richer substrate, not a 'nutrient soup' that will lead to algae.  The empty capsules should be fairly easy to source from a pharmacy or pharmacy type website.  And the Osmocote+ should be available in your local gardening center.  A single bottle of this stuff should last you YEARS, even in a heavily planted tank.   I just push a few around my 'heavy root feeders' like amazon swords and crypts.  And I push a few around the stem plants I have as well.  

I also add a little bit of 'fertilizer' salts as well.  I bought some of these off a guy from another forum in powder form.  It was fairly cheap, but I don't use much of this.  Just a bit for plants that prefer to get their nutrients from the water and for my anubias, java fern and java moss (which are actually very unfussy).  Probably not necessary, but I already had them from an older tank I had. 

In the future, any type of sand is great. Can be added in the water and doesn't cloud it up. Doesn't change water params at all. I have about 300 pounds of a custom mix I make. It's 2 bags pre washed white sand, 2 bags golden yellow sand and 2 bags of generic pool filter sand. The consistency is perfect, plus I spend a weekend washing it all at once so I can easily grab n go whenever I need some for a tank.

Also it's great to wash it early and keep it in water because it grows up beneficial bacteria.

I'm sure you already have your substrate but in the future, sand is key.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back