Planted 52

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

There is nothing in the photo of the cory in post #58 that would cause me to worry or take any action. Regular substantial water changes (meaning, 50-70% of the tank volume, at one time each week), and other good husbandry is all that is needed. Then, monitor things. The fin may grow back, or it may not, depending upon the initial issue. Only if something develops should any remedial action be considered.
Weekly 60% (at least) water changes are the norm for this tank, with water conditioned with Prime.
The cories are all fine, no odd behaviour at all and earlier today they were showing signs of spawning again. However, if their dorsal fins have been nipped, surely that is cause for concern, even if it hasn't quite caused them too much damage? Or am I being far too soft and this is something we should accept as part of keeping community fish?

Last edited:
Weekly 60% (at least) water changes are the norm for this tank, with water conditioned with Prime.
The cories are all fine, no odd behaviour at all and earlier today they were showing signs of spawning again. However, if their dorsal fins have been nipped, surely that is cause for concern, even if it hasn't quite caused them too much damage? Or am I being far too soft and this is something we should accept as part of keeping community fish?
If it were me and the other cories are no worse i would just monitor it closely over the coming days/week

It could calm down once both parties get use to each other at feeding time. The nipping doesnt look majorly bad going off the photo and will more than likely heal.

obviously if it carries on get them moved apart.

I'd definitely try getting some more females too, and seeing if that helps!

Thought I'd track a bit of progress since 25th August
Then
image3A14929_chroma.jpg

Now
IMG_20200909_193805.jpg

Vallis canopy, plus frogbit and duckweed are almost blacking out the right hand side. H.polysperma doesnt seem affected, it just has a thicker and shorter growth compared to the bunch on the left.
Ludwiga palustris at the back has almost reached the top, could do with cutting that and thickening it out.
I'll have a new tank arriving soon and so theres a good chance that much of this will either be destroyed when attempting to catch the odessa, or some of it transplanted into the new tank!
We shall see!

Going to be transferring the contents of this tank to a roma240 ( https://www.fishforums.net/threads/63g-new-build.463623/ )
The cories will be left behind with more of a s.american biotope i mind. Just picked up some argos play sand for this one. I remember from using it before that the cories were able to dig around a lot easier in it :D

It's nerve-wracking to see your gorgeous tank being pulled apart, but also exciting to see it put back together and again and seeing what you'll do with a second tank! :wub:

It's nerve-wracking to see your gorgeous tank being pulled apart, but also exciting to see it put back together and again and seeing what you'll do with a second tank! :wub:
Yeh I quite like how those plants work in that particular scape, so I'm quite sure it'll be replicated but in the slightly bigger tank.
This one I would like to go down the biotope route. A few plants are on the banned invasive species list though but will work it out.
I think the most tricky part is getting your hands on the right pieces of hardscape/wood. But yeh, exciting stuff! Especially choosing more fish:D:fish:

IMG_20200919_192124.jpg
needs a lot of work doing to it! The cories are loving life though, so thats the main thing ^_^
Had a look in lfs today at the hardscape section and nothing looked right. I do have some bits of wood i picked up from a wander in the forest so I might give one a bake and a soak and see how that turns out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back