Planted 52

A few chunks of bogwood would indeed finish this nicely, but be careful where you get the wood.

Wood collected in the outdoors is always a serious risk. The wood itself may be toxic (conifers for example), or it may have absorbed some substance that can leech out months from now, or it may harbour pathogens and boiling is not always successful plus this weakens the wood fibers making it rot faster.

I know it is expensive, but aquarium store wood like Malaysian Driftwood is about the best you can get. Not all wood carried in a fish store is safe either, but I have never had issues nor heard of any with this type of wood (Malaysian Driftwood).

View attachment 110433
I continue to remove anacharis by the bucket load, although its still serving its purpose of providing some cover until the vallis grows in. The lfs had three frogbit left which i grabbed.
I have some more wood currently soaking that I need to place. Will likely strap an Anubias which is already strapped to a rock.
I randomly plonked the crypts in place and it shows... not sure where they can go, the centre/front should be reserved for the corys, and so leaf litter will be placed here.
Still yet to get the barbs in however I'd like the vallis and frogbit to take hold so theres enough cover for them.
Yeah, see? The sand looked more golden in these photos than it does in the new set up, probably because of the tannins and leaf litter, and lighting. Makes a big difference in how different substrate can look!

Got some new plants!
IMG_20200922_102237.jpg

Ideally need to find some wood and rocks before I start planting ..
Plants look great!
Definitely get the hardscape before you plant, otherwise you'll only end up moving plants around later trying to accommodate the hardscape. Will be more of a pain and a faff if you plant first, especially since you don't know what you'll find hardscape wise.

Plants look great!
Definitely get the hardscape before you plant, otherwise you'll only end up moving plants around later trying to accommodate the hardscape. Will be more of a pain and a faff if you plant first, especially since you don't know what you'll find hardscape wise.
I'm surprised the plants in pots didn't trigger you :rofl:

Amazon swords can take a long time to establish, especially if the one you have isn't perfectly suited to your water conditions. Be patient.

I'm looking to add tetra to this tank. Would anyone advise against a mix of:

Phantom
Lemon
Green Line Lizard or Black Neon

@Ch4rlie
Got a bit tired of trying to maintain a pressurised co2 injection through a bubble counter and diffuser, so i've setup a very rudimentary passive co2 chamber.
Its a cut up drinks bottle upside down sucker cupped to the side. (Will grab a better, purpose designed chamber off eBay).
IMG_20201001_200702.jpg

Filled (well half filled because it won't hold if full) with co2.
Co2 obtained from bicarb+ citric acid mix
IMG_20201001_200726.jpg

The bit of kit attached to the bottles was about £15 off eBay.
The left bottle (A) holds citric acid (200g) + water mix and the right (B), bicarb (200g) + water.

The two bottles are connected and naturally seek an equal pressure.

When co2 is released from bottle B (through an airline that I temporarily point up into the chamber to fill), bottle B draws mixture from bottle A.
The reaction then takes place in the bottle B and increases the pressure once more to the point that gas is blown back into bottle A (and no more mixture is drawn through). This prevents an ongoing reaction taking place which you find in the sugar+yeast method. The key is to keep everything airtight. When it comes to refilling the chamber, I should be able to reach for the bottles and just turn the tap and have the above process take place until the mixture in bottle A is spent. Rinse + repeat!

Might pick up a drop checker to see if theres a noticeable amount in the water column. I don't anticipate the same result as from injection via a diffuser, however I'd like to think it will provide a little boost!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@Ch4rlie
Got a bit tired of trying to maintain a pressurised co2 injection through a bubble counter and diffuser, so i've setup a very rudimentary passive co2 chamber.
Its a cut up drinks bottle upside down sucker cupped to the side. (Will grab a better, purpose designed chamber off eBay).
View attachment 118416
Filled (well half filled because it won't hold if full) with co2.
Co2 obtained from bicarb+ citric acid mix
View attachment 118417
The bit of kit attached to the bottles was about £15 off eBay.
The left bottle (A) holds citric acid (200g) + water mix and the right (B), bicarb (200g) + water.

The two bottles are connected and naturally seek an equal pressure.

When co2 is released from bottle B (through an airline that I temporarily point up into the chamber to fill), bottle B draws mixture from bottle A.
The reaction then takes place in the bottle B and increases the pressure once more to the point that gas is blown back into bottle A (and no more mixture is drawn through). This prevents an ongoing reaction taking place which you find in the sugar+yeast method. The key is to keep everything airtight. When it comes to refilling the chamber, I should be able to reach for the bottles and just turn the tap and have the above process take place until the mixture in bottle A is spent. Rinse + repeat!

Might pick up a drop checker to see if theres a noticeable amount in the water column. I don't anticipate the same result as from injection via a diffuser, however I'd like to think it will provide a little boost!

Ah, I can see the rudimentary purpose and how it works.

Quite simple really, but sometimes the simple stuff works the best!

Though the upside down cup, I fail to see how this will distribute the Co2 throughout the water column, am used to atomisers / diffusers (though they tend to get blocked every now and again which gets annoying sometimes) so am wondering if putting a small power head or something near a Co2 distributer of sorts will help move the Co2 around the tank this getting to most if not all the plants.

Just a theory anyway, I like the eBay link you gave for the line and reg, at £14 you can’t go wrong really so it’s def worth a try.

Will keep having a look and see if can come up with something that’s more suited for me but that’s fantastic information, good as gold!

:good:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Back