Planted 52

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Added a dozen phantom tetras today, already have some stunning blue colour. One in particular seems to be flaring its fins a lot.. is that just the dominant male showing off?
They look so good! :wub: I see what you mean about that male (I assume? Looks like a peacocking male!) with his fins all proud!

Looking good :) them phantoms are beauties :wub:

Hows the new tank coming along?
Yeh the Tetras are certainly more like what I'm after in that tank. Think I'll look at adding Lemon Tetra next, and some Ottos..

The 240l still only has the Odessa, and haven't done much with it since moving them there. As its positioned next to a window, whilst the direct sunlight isnt an issue, I think that heat could be further down the line in summer next year.. if that means its going to be hitting 30c for a few months, then I would expect that's going to be far too warm for the Odessa. At the moment, I'm thinking I need to rehome the Odessa.. as beautiful as they are, they're just limiting my options.
I'm also selling the fx6 on the 240l, will get something much smaller.

Last edited:
Yeh the Tetras are certainly more like what I'm after in that tank. Think I'll look at adding Lemon Tetra next, and some Ottos..

The 240l still only has the Odessa, and haven't done much with it since moving them there. As its positioned next to a window, whilst the direct sunlight isnt an issue, I think that heat could be further down the line in summer next year.. if that means its going to be hitting 30c for a few months, then I would expect that's going to be far too warm for the Odessa. At the moment, I'm thinking I need to rehome the Odessa.. as beautiful as they are, they're just limiting my options.
I'm also selling the fx6 on the 240l, will get something much smaller.
Lemons are lovely. Ive so nearly had them on a couple of occasions.

Difficult decision for you on the Odessa's..there are plenty of options for tank mates for them. Most of the other barbs for example would be fine. I have Rosy's, Black ruby's with mine and even apistos but i think the problem for you is having a big group of all males. If you could swap half the group for females it would make a massive difference.

Any thoughts on what you would like to go for if you do re-home the Odessa's?

I was admitting black & purple harlequin Rasbora in the shop :wub: very beautiful fish
Yes i agree, they are nice. I went to my LFS last weekend intending to get a group of Rasbora's and they looked really good along with the Espei's. I got some Rummy nose Tetra and 5 banded barbs in the end lol but i will have some one day. Rasbora's are lovely peaceful fish

Yes i agree, they are nice. I went to my LFS last weekend intending to get a group of Rasbora's and they looked really good along with the Espei's. I got some Rummy nose Tetra and 5 banded barbs in the end lol but i will have some one day. Rasbora's are lovely peaceful fish

I know we're gonna get an RO unit here & softener. So at some point I could find myself with a whole load of options!

Lemons are lovely. Ive so nearly had them on a couple of occasions.

Difficult decision for you on the Odessa's..there are plenty of options for tank mates for them. Most of the other barbs for example would be fine. I have Rosy's, Black ruby's with mine and even apistos but i think the problem for you is having a big group of all males. If you could swap half the group for females it would make a massive difference.

Any thoughts on what you would like to go for if you do re-home the Odessa's?
Yeh the lack of females is probably the issue with them, especially when I kept them with the corydoras. The roma 200, now with the cories and tetra, is in the back room and i can keep it cool through summer. This roma 240 i think im going to have to look at keeping warmer fish, and my missus would prefer big fish over shoals of smaller ones. So.. perhaps gourami, angels or cichlids? But the barbs would have to go.. i think most barbs are <24c

Yeh the lack of females is probably the issue with them, especially when I kept them with the corydoras. The roma 200, now with the cories and tetra, is in the back room and i can keep it cool through summer. This roma 240 i think im going to have to look at keeping warmer fish, and my missus would prefer big fish over shoals of smaller ones. So.. perhaps gourami, angels or cichlids? But the barbs would have to go.. i think most barbs are <24c
Thats fair enough :) im being drawn to bigger fish for when i get my bigger tank.

If gourami is the path you go id definitely recommend looking at the Pearl's....beautiful they are:wub:

Added a dozen phantom tetras today, already have some stunning blue colour. One in particular seems to be flaring its fins a lot.. is that just the dominant male showing off?
Male black phantom tetras have black pelvic fins and females have red pelvic fins. Males also have a bigger dorsal fin.

Most of the fish in the video look like males.

When you video something using a mobile phone, hold the phone so it is horizontal instead of vertical and the image will fill up the entire screen instead of just the middle.

So now the cory fry have been released and I can do away with the breeder box, I need to have a think about the scape on this. I'm starting to think I want to get rid of the vallis, but i know how much the shrimp rely on it and so it would require a good replacement - cryptocoryne crispulata maybe? The thing is, I'd need to grow the crypt to a good size before swapping it out for the vallis, and crypts don't like being moved.. :rolleyes: hmmm
I'm lacking hardscape.. the right piece could make all the difference.. always like the look of Manzanita branches so I'll have a look around for those.
This is how it's looking now, the sword on the left is slowly coming back after melting

Really gorgeous. How are you finding maintenance with the tank set in the chimney? My Vallis Nano has done terribly, I got some giant because floating plants won't tank... And it's not doing great yet. Love all the plants growth you have.

I've Crispatula and really like the different texture

How are you finding maintenance with the tank set in the chimney?l
Yeh its not easy :look: the most annoying part is that I had to cut the cabinet down for it to fit, and I still didn't give myself quite enough room! lol
Its ok for maintenance to be honest, but when it comes to hardscape, I need to make sure it's going to fit through the gap! My son raised a very good point the other day about Santa Claus...!

Yeh its not easy :look: the most annoying part is that I had to cut the cabinet down for it to fit, and I still didn't give myself quite enough room! lol
Its ok for maintenance to be honest, but when it comes to hardscape, I need to make sure it's going to fit through the gap! My son raised a very good point the other day about Santa Claus...!
Did you tell him Santa isn't coming because it breaks lockdown rules?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back