Planted 52

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Would odessas and Microdevario Kubotai work? Similar temp range.

Almost missed this post. No, this is not a good combination. M. kubotai are nano fish, and none of these should ever be in with larger more "aggressive" feeders/swimmers such as the barbs.

You wont stop the muscling in from the barbs, they will go for anything you put in the tank unfortuntely. (night time feeding like Byron has mentioned is a good option if your worried about the cories not getting enough food)

If i feed shrimp/algae pellets i tend to put some towards the front of the tank where the barbs are waiting (soon as the door clicks from the cabinet door they are at the top ready) then i pop some to the rear of the tank while they are occupied with the first drop.

Tonight ive broke a couple of veggie rounds up into smaller pieces and dropped them in several areas of the tank. I tend to find the barbs group up and chase/eat the same pieces in a certain spot while the cories cover more ground and are still shifting through the sand well after the barbs have stopped.

My Tetra and danios are pretty similar really and go for the pellets etc
Cool thanks for your input Russ, I get precious about the cories with them being first in the tank.

Could I ask what tetra and danio you have?

Not having much luck with the cories and Odessa together. Finding nipped fins on the cories now. So I'm currently eyeing up a 63 gallon as a second tank to rehome the Odessa. Plus they'd appreciate the extra room (20 centimetres)
@Byron which type of loach did you keep with your Odessa?

Not having much luck with the cories and Odessa together. Finding nipped fins on the cories now. So I'm currently eyeing up a 63 gallon as a second tank to rehome the Odessa. Plus they'd appreciate the extra room (20 centimetres)
@Byron which type of loach did you keep with your Odessa?
Sorry to hear your having problems. Really strange that your Odessa's are fin nipping. Ive never known this and have never had this with any of my barbs.

Normally very peaceful and with you having a decent group size it is even more suprising. Maybe the ratio of more males is bringing more aggression.

Hope you can sort something. Not sure loaches will fair any better if the fin nipping is coming down to when its feeding time. I have no experience with loaches tho tbh

Sorry to hear your having problems. Really strange that your Odessa's are fin nipping. Ive never known this and have never had this with any of my barbs.

Normally very peaceful and with you having a decent group size it is even more suprising. Maybe the ratio of more males is bringing more aggression.

Hope you can sort something. Not sure loaches will fair any better if the fin nipping is coming down to when its feeding time. I have no experience with loaches tho tbh
I think I'll have to put it down to having majority males - seeing as general advice is to have more females.. I want to keep them though, they are stunning fish. I'm 90% of the way towards picking up a Roma 270 next week, so they can go in there, and I'll do my best to pick up some more females before looking into tank mates.

I think I'll have to put it down to having majority males - seeing as general advice is to have more females.. I want to keep them though, they are stunning fish. I'm 90% of the way towards picking up a Roma 270 next week, so they can go in there, and I'll do my best to pick up some more females before looking into tank mates.
Didnt realise the roma come bigger than the 240. Only downfall to the barbs is they are greedy little so on so's. I wish you luck with the new set up

Keep us updated :good:

Didnt realise the roma come bigger than the 240. Only downfall to the barbs is they are greedy little so on so's. I wish you luck with the new set up

Keep us updated :good:
Ah, typo! Its a 240 lol
Cheers bud

When I was researching for my article elsewhere on this species (Pethia padamya) I did not spot anything about fin nipping aspects. Having said that, for most any very active (swimming) shoaling fish species which includes this one and most all of the barbs and danios this behaviour should be kept in mind, and this is one reason why these species are not advisable with sedate fish (gourami, cichlids, etc). Corydoras are not sedate unless something is wrong. But unfortunately fish don't read the scientific literature and there is always the possibility of individual fish behaviour being somewhat contrary to the norm.

Barbs and loaches might be expected to fare better together, since they are in the same Order (Cypriniformes) and occur from some of the same waters (geographically), though that of course does not mean they will "get along" any better. But loaches (thinking the Botine species here, those in the genus Botia and closely related genera) are more secretive than Corydoras and that may be beneficial.

The main thing is to provide plenty of space for any cyprinid, and for the loaches a lot of hiding places such as chunks of wood with tunnels and such.

When I was researching for my article elsewhere on this species (Pethia padamya) I did not spot anything about fin nipping aspects. Having said that, for most any very active (swimming) shoaling fish species which includes this one and most all of the barbs and danios this behaviour should be kept in mind, and this is one reason why these species are not advisable with sedate fish (gourami, cichlids, etc). Corydoras are not sedate unless something is wrong. But unfortunately fish don't read the scientific literature and there is always the possibility of individual fish behaviour being somewhat contrary to the norm.

Barbs and loaches might be expected to fare better together, since they are in the same Order (Cypriniformes) and occur from some of the same waters (geographically), though that of course does not mean they will "get along" any better. But loaches (thinking the Botine species here, those in the genus Botia and closely related genera) are more secretive than Corydoras and that may be beneficial.

The main thing is to provide plenty of space for any cyprinid, and for the loaches a lot of hiding places such as chunks of wood with tunnels and such.
Did you find during your research whether the m/f ratio within the group was of great significance, as it appears to be with other barbs?
I have resorted to remaining near the tank when feeding the cories as the Odessa hide in the vallis when I'm close. However after the Odessa's feed of flake/brine shrimp/blood worm/daphnia, they will continue to forage around the substrate and on occasion, i have witnessed them nip a cory should it be in the way. The sheer speed of their actions doesn't allow for the cories to move out of the way in time. I haven't been able to pin it down to perhaps one rogue barb.. maybe that could be the case? I don't believe I'm underfeeding the barbs. I doubt they'd stop eating even if I continued pouring food in all day long!

Did you find during your research whether the m/f ratio within the group was of great significance, as it appears to be with other barbs?
I have resorted to remaining near the tank when feeding the cories as the Odessa hide in the vallis when I'm close. However after the Odessa's feed of flake/brine shrimp/blood worm/daphnia, they will continue to forage around the substrate and on occasion, i have witnessed them nip a cory should it be in the way. The sheer speed of their actions doesn't allow for the cories to move out of the way in time. I haven't been able to pin it down to perhaps one rogue barb.. maybe that could be the case? I don't believe I'm underfeeding the barbs. I doubt they'd stop eating even if I continued pouring food in all day long!

SF has this:
Try to buy a mixed-sex group of at least 8-10 specimens, include other schooling fishes to provide security, and you’ll be rewarded with a more natural-looking spectacle.​
The interaction between rival males is interesting to watch and they will display their best colours when competing for female attention or hierarchical position.​

On the feeding, barbs will eat to excess and have problems because of it, so feed moderately/minimally.

Managed to snap a pic of one corydoras who was happy to keep still long enough.. however the example of the nipped dorsal fin is similar on some of the others
IMG_20200907_131751.jpg

Would anyone agree that this is from being nipped or is there anything else for me to rule out?
Thanks

Managed to snap a pic of one corydoras who was happy to keep still long enough.. however the example of the nipped dorsal fin is similar on some of the others
View attachment 115499

Would anyone agree that this is from being nipped or is there anything else for me to rule out?
Thanks
It does look like the fins been nipped to me :(

There is nothing in the photo of the cory in post #58 that would cause me to worry or take any action. Regular substantial water changes (meaning, 50-70% of the tank volume, at one time each week), and other good husbandry is all that is needed. Then, monitor things. The fin may grow back, or it may not, depending upon the initial issue. Only if something develops should any remedial action be considered.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back