Planted 52

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wow, they really are beautiful! The planted tank really shows them off. I also love the contrast of the bright red compared to the speckled silver of the cories.

Think you made a good choice, they look ace :)

Need to figure out a third species.. some top dwellers. I think the odessa could benefit from some dithers

@Russjw @Byron am I right in thinking you keep corydoras and barbs together? If so, do you have any tips on feeding? I really don't like to see the barbs muscling in on the cory's meal!

@Russjw @Byron am I right in thinking you keep corydoras and barbs together? If so, do you have any tips on feeding? I really don't like to see the barbs muscling in on the cory's meal!

I do not have cories and barbs together, but that doesn'tmatter. I did have loaches (also substrate feeders) in with my barbs.

Corydoras must be fed sinking pellet/disk/tablet foods to ensure they get proper nutrition. Upper fish may pick at these as they fall, but they should reach the bottom for the cories. I always feed the sinking foods and the upper fish foods (flake) at the same time, starting with the flake so the upper fish are engaged early on. I also announce the feeding by tapping very lightly on the tank frame when I begin; the fish soon learn this is a meal gong of sorts, and will be more inclined to be on the ready, esp the cories. If all this fails, feed the sinking foods during the darkness of night, an hour or so after the room is in total darkness; cories are nocturnal, most upper fish are not.

I do not have cories and barbs together, but that doesn'tmatter. I did have loaches (also substrate feeders) in with my barbs.

Corydoras must be fed sinking pellet/disk/tablet foods to ensure they get proper nutrition. Upper fish may pick at these as they fall, but they should reach the bottom for the cories. I always feed the sinking foods and the upper fish foods (flake) at the same time, starting with the flake so the upper fish are engaged early on. I also announce the feeding by tapping very lightly on the tank frame when I begin; the fish soon learn this is a meal gong of sorts, and will be more inclined to be on the ready, esp the cories. If all this fails, feed the sinking foods during the darkness of night, an hour or so after the room is in total darkness; cories are nocturnal, most upper fish are not.
Thank you. Feeding the cories at night feels like the approach I'll take. I'd better hang around initially to ensure the barbs are not getting involved when in the dark. If they are still, then I'll give the 'gong' approach a try!

You wont stop the muscling in from the barbs, they will go for anything you put in the tank unfortuntely. (night time feeding like Byron has mentioned is a good option if your worried about the cories not getting enough food)

If i feed shrimp/algae pellets i tend to put some towards the front of the tank where the barbs are waiting (soon as the door clicks from the cabinet door they are at the top ready) then i pop some to the rear of the tank while they are occupied with the first drop.

Tonight ive broke a couple of veggie rounds up into smaller pieces and dropped them in several areas of the tank. I tend to find the barbs group up and chase/eat the same pieces in a certain spot while the cories cover more ground and are still shifting through the sand well after the barbs have stopped.

My Tetra and danios are pretty similar really and go for the pellets etc

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay
Back