63g - new build

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've picked up a Fluval Roma 240 (120L/40W/70H) with an fx6, some sort of uv steriliser (owner kept discus?) and a plant led 3.0
IMG_20200914_193912.jpg

The only place my partner would agree on is by the window in the living room... so, theres a chance this is going to be an algae factory :rolleyes:
IMG_20200914_193952.jpg

My plan, is to lift and shift the existing setup in my Roma200 (in my signature). I'd be moving the substrate, plants and barbs, leaving behind the cories (I'll leave some sand behind).

Anyone had experience swapping over an entire tank before?

What's the best way to go about avoiding major cycling issues between the two tanks?
The Roma200 will be losing the majority of it's substrate and plants, however the filter is cycled. This roma240 will gain 'live' substrate and plants, but the filter is currently dry. Both are understocked.
So I expect the roma200 may go into a mini cycle? And the roma240 will be pretty much going through a planted cycle, with the added benefit of gaining 'live' substrate.

The plan for the roma200 is to create a s.american biotope with cories, tetras and otos in stained water, leaf litter and keep to specific list of plants.

This roma240 will be a planted barb tank, with a few other additions.

Please wish me luck :fish:

Last edited:
Sounds awesome! Could you drape a cover over the window side of the new tank to avoid it getting too much light? Figured if you did something like that you can move it if its in the way when you want to view it.

I would move all the fish out of the 200 before you start taking substrate out - just going to make it easier and avoid burying anyone. The 240 would be cool as an asian tank, barbs, panchax, synodontis :)

I just did when my old 55 gallon had another leak and I bought a new 55 gallon to replace it. I put all the decorations in a plastic bin full of tank water, picked up more fast growing plants to absorb the ammonia, you should keep the gravel or sand wet. I figured if I did not save enough BB I would make up for it with fast growing plants to absorb the ammonia. So far ammonia is a 0

Sounds awesome! Could you drape a cover over the window side of the new tank to avoid it getting too much light? Figured if you did something like that you can move it if its in the way when you want to view it.

I'm happy to black out the side directly facing the window with paint. I did see an article earlier about sunlight not actually being a cause of algae, its more to do with excess nutrients.. his arguement being water supplier's don't complain about the sun when there are algae blooms, but about farmer's and their run-off of ferts.. guess I'll have to see!

I would move all the fish out of the 200 before you start taking substrate out - just going to make it easier and avoid burying anyone.
Right ok. I think I'm better to obtain the substrate I'll be using for the roma200 before I kick off. And then it'd be:
remove plants and hardscape, remove fish, transfer substrate to roma240 and replant, add barbs, add substrate to roma200, add cories, drink lots of beer.
The 240 would be cool as an asian tank, barbs, panchax, synodontis :)
That'll be new territory for me so I may have some questions for you! To begin with, my GH is 5.7 and PH is 7.7... does that bode well for an Asian tank?

Oh and I've just had a little read up on that steriliser I've obtained... do I really need it? I'm not looking forward to having to replace a bulb every 12 months:blink:

That's huge :wub: :thumbs: your signature tank is amazing (had to rotate the phone). Really looking forward to seeing this. I think I'm gonna leave everything in my small tank & set new one up fresh though probably use we cuttings.

That's huge :wub: :thumbs: your signature tank is amazing (had to rotate the phone). Really looking forward to seeing this. I think I'm gonna leave everything in my small tank & set new one up fresh though probably use we cuttings.
Yeh the reason I'm thinking of shifting the lot is because I'd like to get a better substrate for the cories, a finer grain sand than the one they have. So the barbs can have that. Also, as this tank is slightly longer, it makes sense to let the barbs have it.

It's a great length. I've been looking up so many different species & the longer tank has some nice options. Set up is gorgeous so no doubt this new one will be great. You've a great eye for plants & their layout.

It's a great length. I've been looking up so many different species & the longer tank has some nice options. Set up is gorgeous so no doubt this new one will be great. You've a great eye for plants & their layout.
Yeh it does seem to be the longer the better when it comes to fish tanks... :shifty:
I saw this the other day and thought what a complete waste of time and effort :huh:
Screenshot_20200913_191535.jpg

his arguement being water supplier's don't complain about the sun when there are algae blooms,
Its about the balance between the 2. Plants and algae need both. When there is an excess or deficiency of one or the other algae will thrive.
That'll be new territory for me so I may have some questions for you! To begin with, my GH is 5.7
Many Asian fish do better in softish water. 5.7 (assuming you mean dGH) is softish, so you are in luck.
Oh and I've just had a little read up on that steriliser I've obtained... do I really need it?
Bin it. It serves no purpose in a tropical tank.

Yeah you will have tons of choices for fish if you went for an asian biotope - the synos might need harder water than you have but you could look at a couple of nice loach species. There are some cool gobies around now like Stiphodons too :).

Just remember when you do it set aside double the time you think it will take haha!

Wills

Considering the fx6 is second hand, would it be sensible to somehow sterilise the filter media? Or can I be rest assured that due it being inactive and dry for a long duration, that any potential nasties will have deteriorated?

Off with the old (white paint)
IMG_20200916_193235.jpg

On with the new (grey)
IMG_20200916_193412.jpg

Lights on
IMG_20200916_193335.jpg

Need to look at the filter next. I'm thinking it'll be a good idea to put some of the media in my other cycled cannister. How long would it need to be in for BB to colonize it?

did the switch today. catching those barbs was stressful, for us both! didn't quite finish planting it, I got the vallis and swords planted, thought that'd be a good start as the barbs can have a place to chill.
The flow is a bit intense and blowing the vallis around - could do with a spray bar but I've not managed to find one - so that could be a DIY job coming up.

It does catch a fair bit of light from the windows so I'll need to dim the LEDs considerably.

I need to pick up an ammonia test kit in the morning as there's a good chance I'll get some mini cycles in both tanks

Will post a pic when I'm done planting, but I'm copying the old scape tbh, it'll just have a bit more room.

Next stop is finding some tank mates - I've been looking at rainbow sharks and loaches... some bottom dweller that has a bit of fight in it (not a corydora).
I think i'll also up the number of barbs - maybe do a mix with some rosy or black rubys. And I'm thinking danios to fill out the top level

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back