Planted 10g Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Tank Update!

The algae problem wasnā€™t actually algae, it was fungus! That being said, the problem now seems to be gone! I removed one piece of spider wood that seemed to be the main problem.

I have added two pieces of Mopani wood, and placed some Anubias barteri nana on them. I havenā€™t glued the Anubias down or used any fishing line. I have wedged them into the wood with the hope they will anchor themselves to the wood. Iā€™m unsure if this will work or not. I did destroy one of them a bit in the process of doing this. hopefully it will start to grow back healthy again.

I have also added some Heteranthera Zosterifolia in the very centre, which you can see between the spider wood. I have added some Micranthemum Monte Carlo to the very front. The java fern is now sat to the back left handside. and finally I have added some Salvinia.

Any tips on the best way to care for the plants iā€™ve mentioned and the best method of fertilisation for each of them would be much appreciated:

I have also added two cherry shrimp, to help with the cleaning up of any uneaten food and any decaying plants.

8999F6BD-65E1-4674-BA11-E9520F72C890.jpeg
72F27487-8DC0-4728-BBAA-243E5608D40F.jpeg

The only plant fertilizer I would use here is a quality comprehensive liquid. Plants assimilate some nutrients via the roots and others via the leaves. There are no heavy substrate-rooted feeding plants (like swords) so substrate tabs won't do much. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, Brightwell Aquatics FlorinMulti, or since you are in the UK look for TCN Lite liquid which may be your best.

The only plant fertilizer I would use here is a quality comprehensive liquid. Plants assimilate some nutrients via the roots and others via the leaves. There are no heavy substrate-rooted feeding plants (like swords) so substrate tabs won't do much. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, Brightwell Aquatics FlorinMulti, or since you are in the UK look for TCN Lite liquid which may be your best.
Thanks Byron, thats what I thought would be the case! I have already been using Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium. I was just making sure I didnā€™t need anything else.

less than a week in and both my cherry shrimp have died. any suggestions to what could of been the cause ?

The water perimeters:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrie 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
pH 6.8
GH 3dH
KH 1dH
Temperature 24c

The same happened to me when I first had shrimps, and the only suggestion that was made (on another forum) was a shrimp-specific bacterium in my tanks. Whether that was true or not I have no idea. The last shrimp was a female carrying eggs; she died immediately after the eggs hatches but the shrimplets survived.

One thing I can say is that it's not the Flourish Comprehensive as I use that and my current shrimp colony is not affected by it.

You should enter that tank in our June Tank of the Month contest.

The same happened to me when I first had shrimps, and the only suggestion that was made (on another forum) was a shrimp-specific bacterium in my tanks. Whether that was true or not I have no idea. The last shrimp was a female carrying eggs; she died immediately after the eggs hatches but the shrimplets survived.

One thing I can say is that it's not the Flourish Comprehensive as I use that and my current shrimp colony is not affected by it.
Would the shrimp-specific bacterium come from something in the tank or from the shrimp itself ?

The person who said that said it was already in my tank when I got the shrimps. The tank had been running some time, and had pygmy rasboras cories and ember tetras when I got the shrimps (though it had had different fish before them).
All the shop bought shrimps died, but the ones born in the tank survived. And I have bought shrimps since then to add new genes to the colony with no problem.

So was the initial problem due to bacteria? And if it was, why did the first couple of batches die, but babies and subsequent additions not die?

Edited for saying the wrong fish :blush:

Last edited:
The person who said that said it was already in my tank when I got the shrimps. The tank had been running some time, and had pygmy rasboras and ember tetras when I got the shrimps (though it had had different fish before them).
All the shop bought shrimps died, but the ones born in the tank survived. And I have bought shrimps since then to add new genes to the colony with no problem.

So was the initial problem due to bacteria? And if it was, why did the first couple of batches die, but babies and subsequent additions not die?
hmm, that is strange. why would the first lot die and then the rest not die. Thats is strange.

as for my tank, the only thing I could think of, is the the spider wood did have some fungus growing from it. I took out the main bit of wood that had most of the fungus coming from it, and now all I have left is one bit of wood that does have a small amount of fungus come from it, but I have been able to manage it by pulling the fungus off with tweezers. But surely if the fungus was the problem, then my otto and corys would of died too.

Yes, I would have expected fish to be affected as well if it was fungus.

I'm afraid I have no idea what mine or yours died from ????

Yes, I would have expected fish to be affected as well if it was fungus.

I'm afraid I have no idea what mine or yours died from ????

Hopefully someone else might come across this and have an answer for us both then.

Most reactions

trending

Back