Plant questions!

ella777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I have a very sad looking 200l Fluval Roma which I'd love to make a jungle of plants.
I've got a 70cm piece of "talava" (?) wood which is soaking in a tub at the moment. It should take a few weeks to let it sink I think.
As for plants, I'm not experienced with plants at all really. I don't have any Co2 in my tank, I'm working on making a new glass lid and getting a new light to go over the top (still working out the best way to do this, so any ideas would be useful). I currently have some sort of anubias which is growing well on a piece of driftwood, some elodea densa and some sort of other plant that I'm not sure of its name.
These are the plants I'm thinking of using...
XL Anubias Barteri Caladifolia Tropica
Anubias Barteri var. Barteri Tropica
Anubibas Mini Aquadip
Hygrophila Polysperma Rosanervig Tropica
Hygrophila Polysperma Tropica x2
Cryptocoryne x Willsii Tropica x2
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica x2
Ceratoperis Thalitcroides Water Sprite Tropica x2

Would these fill a 200L tank comfortably? They would be coming from Pro Shrimp UK.
As I said, I'd like easy, non Co2, low maintenance plants that look good together. If there are any easy plants, please let me know!

Looks like a great list of plants to me. I've always found epiphyte plants the easiest to keep. For me, Java ferns, Anubias, Buce, and Bolbitis have done very well in all my planted tanks. Crypts are always a good option as well. If you haven't already ordered off pro shrimp I suggest looking at the clearance section as well, I've got some Buce I bought for cheap coming today 😀

Edit- Just realized some of the plants you've listed are already on the clearance page 🤦‍♂️ My bad

Thank you! Also thinking of:

Aponogeton Ulvaceus BULB Aquadip
Dennerle Phyllanthus Fluitans Plant-It
Microsorum Pteropus Windelov Tropica Java Fern
Limnophila Sessiliflora Tropica

What do people think of these?

I've had both the limnophilia and Windelov fern before and never had any issues. Any floating plant is always a bonus and great for taking up excess nutrients. Bulb plants are something I am new to but so far nothing has gone wrong. All 4 of those plants should do well unless I've missed something.

Current bulb plants I have -

Does anyone else have any opinions on the plants I mentioned? The crypts have gone out of stock so is there anything better/easier to replace them with?

Aqua Essentials have all the crypts on your list, all the anubias, one of the Hygrophilas and the Ceratopteris from the list in post #1.
From post #3, they have Phyllanthus, the Aponogeton and Limnophila. Java fern windelov is available only growing on wood, though.

Aqua Essentials have all the crypts on your list, all the anubias, one of the Hygrophilas and the Ceratopteris from the list in post #1.
From post #3, they have Phyllanthus, the Aponogeton and Limnophila. Java fern windelov is available only growing on wood, though.
Aqua Essentials is a lot more expensive, I think Pro Shrimp is the cheapest out there?

Aqua essentials is my go-to as well, always in beautiful condition

I'd put some vallis in as it has got to be one of the easiest plants. You can try and corral it in with rocks or just let it get on with it, and if shoots pop up where you don't want them you can just remove them or replant. If you want a red plant ludwigia palustris "super red" is pretty easy to grow.

I don't use CO2 or aquasoil and get good growth with next to no algae. I just use some root tabs in the sand and some TNC lite liquid ferts.

For your lid, check out what I did with my nanos here: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/diy-lids.491330/

I made two lids, one was a hack job on an aquael leddy lid and the other I made from scratch using pvc "flatbar", some mini trunking and right angle pvc trim. The latter one especially works really well.

message me if you want more details.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back