PheonixKingZ’s Freshwater Journal.

I also got a “Lacy Java Fern”. @Colin_T and @Byron, how to I properly grow this plant? I have a piece of lava rock that has been in my tank for about 1 month, so Could I tie it to that?

Yes. You can "attach" the rhizome to a chunk of rock or wood. Sometimes a crevice suffices, or you can use black thread or fishing line. The rhizome must not be buried in the substrate or it usually will rot. The true hairs growing from the thick rhizome will work their way into the substrate depending where the plant is positioned in the water column, that's OK.

Ok, so I attached the “Lacy Java Fern” to the lava rock with a piece of 2 lb. fishing line. I didn’t get a picture, and I’m in Ohio now, until tomorrow.

What does a MTS mean, @Deanasue? :)

yes many of us have multiple tank syndrome...I have 3. One past member had 20...he had a bad case of the disease.

20 tanks is nothing. One of the guys in fish club had 200 tanks and ran out of space for his fish. So he built 10 large ponds and a lake (yes a lake, he even had a row boat in it to get out to the middle). He ran out of space again so built another fish room and started filling that with tanks.

200 tanks....was he in the fish selling business?

I have cut down to 6 and a pond. Once babies are gone to ranch I’ll be down to 5 and the pond. Much more manageable. Once hubbie retires in a few years we want to travel which is hard to do with a bunch of fish.

200 tanks....was he in the fish selling business?
Initially no, but eventually he started selling excess stock that he produced.

--------------------------
Once hubbie retires in a few years we want to travel which is hard to do with a bunch of fish.
You can travel for a month at a time and leave the fish to look after themselves. Feed them up well before you go, add heaps of plants and away you go. If possible get someone in once a week to make sure everything is working.

Lol, we have kind of gotten away from the initial motive of my post, way we please get back to that? :lol:

So, a couple of questions.....

1. I have heard to let tap water sit in the tank for about 3 days, to see if it leaks, is that true?
  2. How do I test the filter that came with it? EVENTUALLY I will get a sponge filter, but for now, I’m keeping the filter that came with it, just so it can start it’s cycle.
  3. Can I cycle the tank “bare bottom”?
I know I will have more questions! (Later) :)

1. Never heard this but it may be a good idea to see if seals hold.
2. I would go ahead and use the filter I plan to keep in the tank so it can grow its beneficial bacteria during the cycling process. Any bacteria that was on old filter is dead now.
3. Bare bottom takes longer to cycle as there is not as much for beneficial bacteria to cling too.

Ok, thank you!!

Also, how do I safely test the heater that came with it?

Do I just clean it, and then put it in a tank with a thermometer?

And do I do the same with the filter? :)

I have cut down to 6 and a pond. Once babies are gone to ranch I’ll be down to 5 and the pond. Much more manageable. Once hubbie retires in a few years we want to travel which is hard to do with a bunch of fish.

Very true! I sold my house and moved into a Townhouse last month, intending to do some travel while I still have time rather than putting every cent into the aging house. I downsized the fish tanks because I had no intention of keeping such a large fish room. I now have a fish room of five tanks running (the intended five) from a 10g up to a 40g. But going away for three-four weeks...how? So much for the travel. I know there are options, but just making the same point you did. This is not a hobby for travellers!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back