PheonixKingZ’s Freshwater Journal.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have heard to let tap water sit in the tank for about 3 days, to see if it leaks, is that true?

When setting up a new tank, or anyt tank after it has been dry for any time, it is always advisable to get it running without fish for a day or two. You could just fill it with water for a day or two, but I'vee never wasted time doing that, I just put in the substrate, aquascape, plant, fill with water, get the filter and heater running...and leave it for a day or two to detect leaks, ensure the heater is properly set, etc.

How do I test the filter that came with it? EVENTUALLY I will get a sponge filter, but for now, I’m keeping the filter that came with it, just so it can start it’s cycle.

There is no value in using a filter other than the one intended for the tank, which I think is what Deanasue was saying too. Set up the sponge filter.

Can I cycle the tank “bare bottom”?

Yes and no, depending what one means by "cycle." You want a substrate from day 1; no fish tank should eve be bare bottom, it is not healthy. The host of bacteria that colonize the substrate are essential to a healthy biological system. The filter is not a substitute. You can have a perfectly healthy aquarium with no filter, but you cannot do this with no substrate unless you do daily large water changes. And even that is no substitute or even comes close to the substrate activity.

Also, how do I safely test the heater that came with it?

Do I just clean it, and then put it in a tank with a thermometer?

I think instructions come with the filter (if it is new) EDIT: I meant heater, not filter. But in a nutshell, when the tank is full of water that is the temperature you intend going forward [so if you intend 25C add water that is this temperature from the tap], place the heater where you want it and leave it for about 20 minutes, then plug it in. Adjust the knob higher or lower very slowly until the pilot light comes on (if off) or goes off (if on initially). You may have to do this a few times to get the setting correct. But wait 10-15 minutes between each adjustment so the heater can "adjust" itself. Having a thermometer in the tank will make sure your temp is staying where you want it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your expert advice!! :)

I am just wondering if it is safe to use a old filter. (Not necessarily in ages, but just old in it’s been used a lot) will it explode if it is broken? :)

Thank you for your expert advice!! :)

I am just wondering if it is safe to use a old filter. (Not necessarily in ages, but just old in it’s been used a lot) will it explode if it is broken? :)

Not sure I follow this...but if you have some sort of filter other than a normal sponge filter connected to an air pump, and the housing is cracked or broken, I would not use it as it is certain to leak.

If you intend a sponge filter in this tank, put it in now and forget the old filter.

Ok, thank you!!

Also, how do I safely test the heater that came with it?

Do I just clean it, and then put it in a tank with a thermometer?

And do I do the same with the filter? :)
Sorry, I had to run and pick my daughter up from airport. You can test the heater in either the tank or a smaller bucket of water. Let it sit in the water for about 30 minutes first before turning it on so it can get the same temp. Otherwise it may burst. It should test within a couple degrees if a thermometer. None of them are exactly the same. Does it have a thermostat On it or is it preset to 76F? You can just run the filter in the bucket too to check it out. Hope this helps.

Ohhh.....I’m so sorry @Byron! That was confusing. Here is a picture of the filter and heater that came with the tank.....
image.jpg

I am mainly concerned (on the heater) about the “rust” under the glass.

Yes. @Deanasue, the heater does have a built in monitor, to keep the water at a steady 78+1 degrees Farinhite. :)
image.jpg

I personally would not use either of those but toss them straight into recycling. A sponge filter is excellent filtration and very inexpensive. A heater is the single most important piece of equipment--a failure during the night can cook the fish or the opposite, I've had it happen. Buy a good heater, well worth it. I still have some heaters I purchased in the 1990's and they are still working without a glitch. I've had two or three "cheap" heaters give out, fortunately only once with fish losses.

Ok, guys, so......I plugged in the filter, and it worked perfectly!! I carefully plugged in the heater, (after letting it sit in the water for about 20 mi.) and it worked!! I can’t belive it! It has been running all night, (both the heater and the filter) and both are working spotlessly!

The heater is the same brand and model as the one in the 2.5 gal. (Tetra brand) and the filter is also Tetra brand. (2-10 gal.).

The tank is currently in my bathroom, and is filled with 10 gal. Of untreated water. The temperature in the tank is 75+1 degrees Farinhite.

I have seen no leaks so far, so that Is good.

I should get the play sand today. How do you recommend I clean it?

Also, the calcium build up I told you guys about? I can right off with a bit of vinegar! :)

A lot to read, and I thank you guys for your time! :thanks: :)

Here isn’t a picture of the 10 gal. With tap water sitting in it! I plan to wait till tomorrow, and see if there are any leaks. My LFS owner, said that he testes it to see if it would leak, and it didn’t. I trust him, but I’m just making sure, you guys know what I mean? Anyway, here it is! As you can see, the water temp. Is at 78+1 degrees Fahrenheit! :)

image.jpg

Also, would it be possible to put dirt down first? And then cap it with the play sand? Just to give the plants some sort of nutritious substrate? Thank you!

Also, would it be possible to put dirt down first? And then cap it with the play sand? Just to give the plants some sort of nutritious substrate? Thank you!

This is not advisable. Using dirt creates real problems, especially ammonia. If you follow the "dirt substrate" authorities, most advise a "dry" start with dirt, and then no fish in the tank for six months to avoid poisoning them.

Second, dirt really does not help aquatic plants. It is easy enough to provide nutrients to plants without the risks of dirt, and any nutrients in the dirt will be used up and need replacing anyway. The only advantage to using dirt is the abundance of CO2 from the decomposition of the organics in the substrate, which will begin immediately (or should)--along with the rise in ammonia of course. Once any inert substrate (sand, fine gravel) has been operating for six months or so, it is just as beneficial from that point on as dirt because the accumulation of organics will produce a fair amount of CO2.

Soo....you suggest I just use the play sand, (how do I clean it?) and then buy root tabs?

Also, I am on a pretty tight budget for this tank, so is this a good light?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQ9K3R9/?tag=ff0d01-20

Also, is any kind of driftwood say down by a stream, ok to use in a fish tank, and long ad you clean it really good, and then soak it to remove the tanas?

Aalllssooo...(Lol, I must be boring you to death!)......I had a great idea....what if I put the filter cartridge from my betta tank, into the huge filter in the 10 gal.? (Obviously once the 10 gal. Is setup) That way I will be able to cycle the tank immediately!

(Note: my betta fish’s water In is perfect condition.)

Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon! :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Soo....you suggest I just use the play sand, (how do I clean it?) and then buy root tabs?

Clean the sand like any substrate gravel...rinse small amounts in a bucket of water several times. It is tedious, and I don't go too far with this as it is just dirt anyway. As for root tabs, that depends upon the intended plants. In a small tank like a 10g you will not have huge hungry plants like Amazon swords that do benefit from tabs. A comprehensive liquid may be needed, depending upon the plants selected. Plant nutrients come from water changes and fish food, which can be sufficient or may need supplementing.

Also, is any kind of driftwood say down by a stream, ok to use in a fish tank, and long ad you clean it really good, and then soak it to remove the tanas?

This is a serious risk I avoid. First, you cannot "clean" any piece of real wood sufficiently to know you are getting everything that might be harmful. Wood absorbs anything in water as it becomes saturated, and toxins can leech out months even years later. I had a chunk of wood purchased in an aquarium shop that did this after a couple years and it was not easy tracking down the problem killing fish. Wood collected locally may carry pathogens that tropical fish have no defense against; fish in an ecosystem develop ways to deal with pathogens, but these are the local pathogens and they vary all over the earth. Tannins are your least worry, and not even a worry actually as they are beneficial to fish.

Also, I am on a pretty tight budget for this tank, so is this a good light?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQ9K3R9/?tag=ff0d01-20

I would have to see this "live" as I know next to nothing about LED. I've had five different LED fixtures and all went back as inadequate for planted tanks. Others may know more about this and be able to help. I would suspect it is not what you want as it mentions white and blue, and you need red for photosynthesis and this (red) may or may not be sufficient in the "white."

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
image.jpg
6A4278F5-BE65-4D5E-918D-078538B5AC70.png
6A4278F5-BE65-4D5E-918D-078538B5AC70.png
Get a lid with LED lights. I know you are on a budget but heat will remain better in covered tank. Otherwise heater will constantly be on and burn out. I believe you’re in the states. I have this hood on my 10G. Walmart! You can always buy an extra light bar later if needed but here’s mine on the tank. It fits all of my 10G tanks. I have (2) 10G and (2) 5G lids like this. Oldest has been working fine for 2 years.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much!!

Sorry @Deanasue, I am on a budget, and my tank isn’t even a well known brand. I don’t even know what brand it is, but it won’t fit.

Thank you @Byron

So where do you suggest I get the root tabs!?

(Btw, I like your tank @Deanasue! You should enter the July TOTM contest!) :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back