The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Cuileann

Reaction score
Hello, Iā€™m very new to the hobby and it was an emergency rehoming situation to which I obtained the fish.

Long story short, I have the fish in a 54 litre but I am currently cycling a 105 litre for them. The 54 litre with the fish is currently cycling too

The problem is my pH levels are not stable. In the tank they are in, it reads 6.0 pH (I use the API Freshwater Testing Kit)

Which I know means it can be lower. I did add a Seachem Alkaline buffer to rise it and got it to 6.6 but the next day it was 6.0.

I obviously had to do an emergency fish in cycle which is progressing well, Iā€™m just waiting on the appearance of nitrates.

My tap water pH reads at 7.4, GH/KH are about 6-8

The tank Iā€™m cycling confuses me more, the pH is reading 8.4-8.6 which I know means it could be higher.

I feel really overwhelmed, feel like Iā€™m failing and Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong. I canā€™t obviously put the fish into the larger tank when itā€™s done cycling due to that high pH.

In both tanks I have a sponge filter and a Nicrew sponge filter in the 54l which includes carbon filtration.

In the bigger tank I used the tetra filter which came with it.

I use an airstone in the 54litre too.

Both tanks I think get plenty of aeration because of all this.

I do daily testing on both tanks.

Yellowish algae seems to be growing on both of the tankā€™s airline tubing too.

I guess Iā€™m just really pessimistic because I want a good environment for all these fish. All them can do well in lower phs except one Molly I have.

I have neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras (5 total) panda corydoras (2), otocinclus (4) and a Molly. I didnā€™t want to overwhelm the smaller tank when it is a fish in cycle and I wanted to definitely add more cories and a tetra so the group numbers are okay in the larger tank. These were the fish given to me so I didnā€™t choose the original group numbers.

Are pH fluctuations normal during a cycle?

Any advice would be very appreciated. I feel so upset about all this.

Last edited:
What decor do you have in the two tanks?

Hello, Iā€™m very new to the hobby and it was an emergency rehoming situation to which I obtained the fish.

Long story short, I have the fish in a 54 litre but I am currently cycling a 105 litre for them.

The problem is my pH levels are not stable. In the tank they are in, it reads 6.0 pH (I use the API Freshwater Testing Kit)

Which I know means it can be lower. I did add a Seachem Alkaline buffer to rise it and got it to 6.6 but the next day it was 6.0.

I obviously had to do an emergency fish in cycle which is progressing well, Iā€™m just waiting on the appearance of nitrates.

My tap water pH reads at 7.4, GH/KH are about 6-8

The tank Iā€™m cycling confuses me more, the pH is reading 8.4-8.6 which I know means it could be higher.

I feel really overwhelmed, feel like Iā€™m failing and Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong. I canā€™t obviously put the fish into the larger tank when itā€™s done cycling due to that high pH.

In both tanks I have a sponge filter and a Nicrew sponge filter in the 54l which includes carbon filtration.

In the bigger tank I used the tetra filter which came with it.

I use an airstone in the 54litre too.

Both tanks I think get plenty of aeration because of all this.

I do daily testing on both tanks.

Yellowish algae seems to be growing on both of the tankā€™s airline tubing too.

I guess Iā€™m just really pessimistic because I want a good environment for all these fish. All them can do well in lower phs except one Molly I have.

I have neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras (5 total) panda corydoras (2), otocinclus (4) and a Molly. I didnā€™t want to overwhelm the smaller tank when it is a fish in cycle and I wanted to definitely add more cories and a tetra so the group numbers are okay in the larger tank. These were the fish given to me so I didnā€™t choose the original group numbers.

Are pH fluctuations normal during a cycle?

Any advice would be very appreciated. I feel so upset about all this.
Im cycling my tank rn and it has a high ph... havent tested for ph in a while though
Yes, ph fluctuations are normal during a cycle.
But the tank with the fish has a low PH...

I just have two resin pieces. (A bridge and statue)
Thats it? No rocks? No plants? Substrate? Wood? I only ask because some decor may raise or lower PH

Thats it? No rocks? No plants? Substrate? Wood? I only ask because some decor may raise or lower PH
I use a sand substrate, no rocks as I wasnā€™t sure which ones would increase/decrease ph and I didnā€™t want to try that until I was fully informed. No wood either and I know some release tannins or might increase/decrease ph so I didnā€™t want to mess with that especially when cycling. Especially as I would need to research those more:

I have some Amazon frogbit ordered though as I thought floating plants would be an easiest to start with.

These fish came to me in a lunchbox with no accessories, just a broken tank that I had to replace, the filter etc was binned before they took them to me.

I use a sand substrate, no rocks as I wasnā€™t sure which ones would increase/decrease ph and I didnā€™t want to try that until I was fully informed. No wood either and I know some release tannins or might increase/decrease ph so I didnā€™t want to mess with that especially when cycling. Especially as I would need to research those more:

I have some Amazon frogbit ordered though as I thought floating plants would be an easiest to start with.

These fish came to me in a lunchbox with no accessories, just a broken tank that I had to replace, the filter etc was binned before they took them to me.
Hmmm... In your cycling tank you should add some wood! It'll help lower the ph (just a little but still help)

Hmmm... In your cycling tank you should add some wood! It'll help lower the ph (just a little but still help)
What wood would you recommend? Iā€™m in Scotland. Would I need to get it online/local fish store.

What wood would you recommend? Iā€™m in Scotland. Would I need to get it online/local fish store.
You could also use indian almond leaves... Dont use spiderwood as that has VERY little tannins... Mopani wood is really good for this and with some almond leaves at the bottom it would look really nice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back