P@h Depresses Me.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

silverrabbit

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Went to a P@H shop today for a browse, and I was totally shocked and really quite disgusted.

For one, their tanks were infected with anchor worms reallllllllly badly - so many emaciated fish with the worms hanging out of their scales and gills, and then I saw this poor baby oscar covered in open wounds with fungus starting, AND he had an eye missing :-( the other oscar in with him was beating him to a pulp :(

I told someone so they could have treatment and left, else I would've brought them all home. Why does this happen?!

I think you should report to the RSPCA. That sounds really horrific and should be invsitgated at once.

you must take action! report them to the rspca and the local council ( they isue the licsence to enable them to sell fish) take pics.. feel gutted knowing that it was an oscar. theres a few calls id like to make myself , but i didnt see it :( do what u can tho plz , where behind u 110%

I'm reporting them tomo morning, it's just made me so so sad. And they blatantly don't know what they're talking about in the aquatic bit - I don't think I was very popular with the staff :rolleyes: trying to sell a woman some albino cories as the first fish to go in a tank thats been running 2 weeks because "they're very hardy fish" :huh: mine have always been sensitive to water quality. I said my piece but it wasn't taken well.

Lots of dead fish too - and not like just dead, i'm talking a few days. I doubt i'm going to be in that area again for a few days (it's about 20 miles from me unfortunately) so won't have any pics, but I hope they get investigated asap.

hey.. its not your fault, its hard not to buy all the fish that are badly treated i know... youve done the right thing youve voiced it
call them in the morning and try to forget it, dont let it drag you down,maybe in a week or 2 pop in again and see whats been done. but you cany possibly rehomeor do more than u intend to do, i know its a shame but its fact ..... chin up mate, we all feel for u x x x x x

Poor things.
Most of the time the rspca don't want to know. There was a thread last week on the same thing. I think you have to contact the council, or try the animal welfare.

Corys are not hardy fish.

my local P@h is pretty good in the fish department, atleast thier fish are, I dont know about the knowledge though

Poor things.
Most of the time the rspca don't want to know. There was a thread last week on the same thing. I think you have to contact the council, or try the animal welfare.

Corys are not hardy fish.

Go back in and take some pictures, ask for the manager and ask him for the contact details ie telephone number, name and email address of his area manager and the complaints department/MD at head office.

If he refuses tell him you will be emailing the local press about the conditions and that you will be including the photo's

Once you get the info off him tell him that he has a week to get the poor conditions sorted and that you will be coming back in to check on the progress.

He will probably do something, the last thing he will want is the bad publicity.

I don't think the RSPCA will do much, you have to contact the council as they issue the appropriate license. Also (not sure if this would work), contact your local paper and see if they would do a story about it, may have an effect if the paper decided to do a story on the mater.

My local pets at home isn't brilliant advice wise, dread to think what fish go home with who, but they tanks are pretty good, really clean in fact, and hardly ever see any dead fish, and whenever I go in there to get some equipment, it always seems like the same people on the aquatics part which is a good thing I guess.

Well i'm glad other P@H's seem better than this one, because I was extremely disappointed. I understand you saying go back and get pics, Degsod, but I can't get back there until maybe 26/27th of this month. I don't drive and it's far, and then i'm away. So I have to work with what i've got and just ring up the people and go back when i'm home.

I'll ring the RSPCA and council tomorrow morning and see what they can do for the poor fishies :(

Well i'm glad other P@H's seem better than this one, because I was extremely disappointed. I understand you saying go back and get pics, Degsod, but I can't get back there until maybe 26/27th of this month. I don't drive and it's far, and then i'm away. So I have to work with what i've got and just ring up the people and go back when i'm home.

I'll ring the RSPCA and council tomorrow morning and see what they can do for the poor fishies :(

Ring them, ask for the manager, then tell them about it and ask for Stanely Greens address, that where head office is based. This will have two affects: firstly, it enables you to act if you wish (head office will tear 3 shades out of stores where animal welfare is at steak) and secondly the manager will know your serious and will proberbly act fast.

If anything like this happened at the store i work in and the manager was told things would get turned arround instantly although it would get to this point first.

Do remember pets at home isn't an LFS, however animal welfare standards should be spot on. I have never had a proble with pets at home and i even rank the advice given but thats because i know what im talking about and know who else does, service not seen at most LFS around me :(

andrew

I finally got round to going into the P@H in Stockport the other day. I must say, I was far more impressed than I was when it was Pet Smart. There was one marine tank that seemed to have a particular problem with algae on the front glass, but other than that everything seemed spot on. Their aquarium setup leaflet is a little hit and miss but it was nice to see all the fish labled up with the final size of the fish.

my local Pets at home is rubbish, but there is another one not too far away that is brilliant, its amazing the difference between the two stores. The local one has al it's fish off sale because of white spot, the tanks are filled with dead fish, over 20 when I popped in for some silicon the other day...and they didn't have that either

Most reactions

trending

Back