Organic Material Clouding Up My Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LicianDragon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tropical community planted tank. It's planted with eco-complete substrate. I also add co2 booster from API daily. Ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0, nitrate is about 5ppm. The tank has been set up for about 5 months now but has always had an issue of organic material floating around the tank and settling on my plants. It's killing my hornwort and anacharis and I have to brush it off my cryptocoryne daily. The filter doesn't seem to remove it very well. When I switched from fine gravel to eco-complete I am still having this issue. 
Any ideas on what's causing it? How do I solve it?

This Old Spouse said:
What kind of food are you using?
I have a large variety of foods they get. Tropical flakes, algea wafers, frozen/freeze dried bloodwords, seaweed, and carnivorous sinking pellet. I've had an automatic feeder set to give them a mixture of the flakes, algea wafers, and dried bloodworms twice a day. No more than they ever eat in 2 minutes. Seaweed is given ever two weeks, one inch by inch square. Carnivorous wafers are given once a week, 4 pellets. A cube of bloodworms is also given once a week.

That sounds like a whole lot of food. Are there shrimp pellets in that mix? The reason I ask is because when I fed mine shrimp pellets it left an awful residue on everything. 

This Old Spouse said:
That sounds like a whole lot of food. Are there shrimp pellets in that mix? The reason I ask is because when I fed mine shrimp pellets it left an awful residue on everything. 
No shrimp pellets. The carnivorous mix is fish meal, silkworm pupae and seaweed. Do you think I am feeding them to much?

Frankly, I'd cut that in half and just feed once a day. It won't hurt the fish in the least, and you can see what the results of the matter is in a week or two. Save you some money, too.

Most reactions

trending

Back