Online plant purchases

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

R84achey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all so I started on the fish journey a month ago. I started with artificial plants however Iā€™ve quickly decided I need real plants. I currently have 2 Java ferns, some duckweed and some Marimo moss balls. I have the Hugo kamishi fine glass gravel and therefore need plants that can grow without fertiliser/substrate. I know I will need to add liquid fertiliser to give them the best chance. Iā€™ve checked out aqua gardens and aqua essentials but every plant I would like anubias, vallisneria, bucephalandra and Java moss seem to be out of stock. Are there any other reccomendations for online sellers. Push comes to shove I can grab some from
Maidenhead aquatics. Also any other plants that will grow in gravel. Thank you in advance x

Attachments

• CC952892-D378-48D9-8BD9-3A68B4B33CEF.jpeg
    CC952892-D378-48D9-8BD9-3A68B4B33CEF.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 75
Hi all so I started on the fish journey a month ago. I started with artificial plants however Iā€™ve quickly decided I need real plants. I currently have 2 Java ferns, some duckweed and some Marimo moss balls. I have the Hugo kamishi fine glass gravel and therefore need plants that can grow without fertiliser/substrate. I know I will need to add liquid fertiliser to give them the best chance. Iā€™ve checked out aqua gardens and aqua essentials but every plant I would like anubias, vallisneria, bucephalandra and Java moss seem to be out of stock. Are there any other reccomendations for online sellers. Push comes to shove I can grab some from
Maidenhead aquatics. Also any other plants that will grow in gravel. Thank you in advance x
I use eBay for most of my plants now, driving round to various shops in the hope theyve had a delivery became frustrating.

Here are the sellers I used for the plants you want

^great bunches of valls from these

^ highly recommend these guys, really quick delivery and great packaging, all plants labelled up in bags which was nice to differentiate between different species of javas

^another great seller, quick delivery, good packaging

All the above sellers had great quality plants as well.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use eBay for most of my plants now, driving round to various shops in the hope theyve had a delivery became frustrating.

^ highly recommend these guys, really quick delivery and great packaging, all plants labelled up in bags which was nice to differentiate between different species of javas

Hey thanks for the reply. How do you treat your plants upon reciept? X

Hi thanks for your reply. Iā€™ve stuck a few in my basket. Before I order, which liquid fertiliser would you reccomend and anything else I may need.

Hey thanks for the reply. How do you treat your plants upon reciept? X
Nothing too crazy, they went into a new tank setup so wasn't worried about quarantine, I just removed all the rock wool and rinsed under tap and checked for snails half heartedly.
Hi thanks for your reply. Iā€™ve stuck a few in my basket. Before I order, which liquid fertiliser would you reccomend and anything else I may need.
I personally use tropica specialized nutrition, no scientific reason just one I found online and seems to do well in my other tanks.
Tropica nutrition tabs as well, especially for the valls planted in sand.

Other than that, not too much that I can think of, hopefully if there is something missing someone will tell us!
Good luck with the new tank setup.

Nothing too crazy, they went into a new tank setup so wasn't worried about quarantine, I just removed all the rock wool and rinsed under tap and checked for snails half heartedly.

I personally use tropica specialized nutrition, no scientific reason just one I found online and seems to do well in my other tanks.
Tropica nutrition tabs as well, especially for the valls planted in sand.

Other than that, not too much that I can think of, hopefully if there is something missing someone will tell us!
Good luck with the new tank setup.
Am I ok to plant straight into gravel without an addition of a substrate fertiliser mud thingy lol? The majority of the plants Iā€™m getting can be affixed to rocks so I have a load of slate pieces that I have thoroughly cleaned which I intend to use, would this work? I do have a couple of rocks in there well maybe large pebbles as theyā€™re very smooth so I presume they would only be good for the Java moss. I also have a couple of ornaments which may be suitable for tying/gluing plants to. Just wondering if I can add plants to the gravel really as this would open up my options. Thanks in advance with the 1001 questions ?

Am I ok to plant straight into gravel without an addition of a substrate fertiliser mud thingy lol? The majority of the plants Iā€™m getting can be affixed to rocks so I have a load of slate pieces that I have thoroughly cleaned which I intend to use, would this work? I do have a couple of rocks in there well maybe large pebbles as theyā€™re very smooth so I presume they would only be good for the Java moss. I also have a couple of ornaments which may be suitable for tying/gluing plants to. Just wondering if I can add plants to the gravel really as this would open up my options. Thanks in advance with the 1001 questions ?

So planting into the gravel shouldn't be an issue but I am only 90% sure in my answer lol, I planted into sand which looks like a very similar consistency to your gravel, but the vallisneria as far as I'm aware will need root tabs to get their nutrients. You just push these in next to where they are rooted.

All the rest of your plants are epiphtye plants and will feed off the water column, which is where the liquid fertilizer comes in.

They can all be glued, tied or just wedged to hold. When using the glue, use either a tank specific one or just gorilla glue GEL, normal superglue is toxic but the gel works well.

So planting into the gravel shouldn't be an issue but I am only 90% sure in my answer lol, I planted into sand which looks like a very similar consistency to your gravel, but the vallisneria as far as I'm aware will need root tabs to get their nutrients. You just push these in next to where they are rooted.

All the rest of your plants are epiphtye plants and will feed off the water column, which is where the liquid fertilizer comes in.

They can all be glued, tied or just wedged to hold. When using the glue, use either a tank specific one or just gorilla glue GEL, normal superglue is toxic but the gel works well.
Fab I shall order some other plants then instead of all the rock ones... I have the root tabs in my cart already just need to find some liquid fertiliser and Iā€™m good to go... wish me luck ? I can barely keep normal plants alive so Iā€™m a tad worried about keeping these alive. However my tank has become an obsession so fingers crossed I succeed. Anything to keep my water babies happy and in the best environment... ps do you talk to your fish my other half has been ribbing me for talking to them ??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back