What substrate is best for a planted tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Aus here as well - have to say, I bought river sand from bunnings and after a good wash it leaves behind the most beautiful grains of sand, that look very natural. Just thought Iā€™d mention it as itā€™s cheap like play sand, but much more interesting and decorative. And has been similarly polished by currents like ocean sand.
I saw there was some river sand available, but it said it wasn't suitable for fish tanks. What brand did you buy?

The last two tanks I set up before I left England used swimming pool filter sand. Slightly coarser than builders sand or beach sand, and more rounded edges to the grains, so good for diggers. The plants seemed to like it.

I used sand when making a cave with silicone and I actually simmered it for 30 minutes in a pot and then spread it out on a baking sheet and baked it for 45 minutes. That way youā€™re sure itā€™s clean for the tank. OK may be a little overkill but better safe than sorry.šŸ”

I saw there was some river sand available, but it said it wasn't suitable for fish tanks. What brand did you buy?
The brand I bought also said it wasnt suitable for aquariums. Itā€™s just the company covering their ass in case someone doesnā€™t process it correctly and adds it straight to the tank and it kills everything, theyā€™re not going to be at fault or deal with get negative feedback about that product if they say donā€™t do it on the website/packaging.

I washed the hell out of it, boiled it, let it cool, treated it with conditioner and voila - aquarium safe river sand.
Itā€™s so the company doesnā€™t have to argue with new fish-keepers who have more money than sense.
šŸ¤·šŸ¼

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back