Advice for growing plants emersed?

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Any general tips? Due to the great expense of this hoppy, I'm hoping to try to get some money back by growing my plants emersed and to sell them. I've already started a monte carlo container, and I'm about to order some buce online to start a plant bin with others from my tanks.

My plan is to fill a plastic container with 1 inch of fluval stratum. I've already drilled holes in the lid for some ventilation, I'll add more if I need it. I've read about people using lava rocks, but is that really necessary? If I need to I can get some but if I don't I'd rather not.

You can grow marsh plants (most aquarium plants are marsh plants) in the same way you grow normal garden plants. I used 20 cm diameter plastic pots filled with normal potting mix. I sat the pots in trays that were bigger (25 or 30cm tray). I used a soluble plant fertiliser every 2 weeks and watered the plants from above. I let the trays fill with water or water & fertiliser solution and had them sitting out in the sun.

If you want to grow aquatic plants, put some storage containers out in the sun. Have the plants in small pots with aquarium gravel. Use a soluble plant fertiliser and let them grow. When customers want plants, you lift the pot of plants up and send it to them (plant in pot). Most grows have 3 or 4 cuttings per pot. The pots are about 1.5-2 inches in diameter x 3 inches high.

If you don't want to grow plants in pots, put 3-4 inches of aquarium gravel on the bottom of the storage containers and plant the plants straight into the gravel. Fertilise them every week and let them grow. You can either pull the plants out of the gravel or take cuttings to sell to people. Cuttings should be about 8-12 inches long.

------------------

The only reason you might need a lid on a container is if you are trying to make fully submersed plants into emersed plants that are out of water. To do that, just have the container with enough water to cover the plants and let the water evaporate over a few weeks. The plants will start growing emersed leaves when their current leaves are exposed to air.

You can grow marsh plants (most aquarium plants are marsh plants) in the same way you grow normal garden plants. I used 20 cm diameter plastic pots filled with normal potting mix. I sat the pots in trays that were bigger (25 or 30cm tray). I used a soluble plant fertiliser every 2 weeks and watered the plants from above. I let the trays fill with water or water & fertiliser solution and had them sitting out in the sun.

If you want to grow aquatic plants, put some storage containers out in the sun. Have the plants in small pots with aquarium gravel. Use a soluble plant fertiliser and let them grow. When customers want plants, you lift the pot of plants up and send it to them (plant in pot). Most grows have 3 or 4 cuttings per pot. The pots are about 1.5-2 inches in diameter x 3 inches high.

If you don't want to grow plants in pots, put 3-4 inches of aquarium gravel on the bottom of the storage containers and plant the plants straight into the gravel. Fertilise them every week and let them grow. You can either pull the plants out of the gravel or take cuttings to sell to people. Cuttings should be about 8-12 inches long.

------------------

The only reason you might need a lid on a container is if you are trying to make fully submersed plants into emersed plants that are out of water. To do that, just have the container with enough water to cover the plants and let the water evaporate over a few weeks. The plants will start growing emersed leaves when their current leaves are exposed to air.
What if I'm growing bucephalandra? I could always forgo the other plants but the buce is my favourite. The videos I was watching advised to use a lid for maximum humidity, while giving some vents for air flow

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back