Online fish stores

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hey. Seeing as another national lock-down looms for us in the UK, that means our LFS will be closed. I've never bought fish online before and have been recommended a few such as Tropco.
I've been close to buying from Tropco .. they're based down South whereas I'm about 300 miles Northwest from them.. thought it'd be good to find a closer source?
What are people's experiences/thoughts and recommendations?
Thanks

They are a long way away, and have to ship overnight air. They are pretty good about using heat packs and so on, but it gets really cold here in the winter, so I usually only order during spring and summer.

I would check with the shop you would normally use. I have just looked at the website of my favourite shop and they will still be operating, with restrictions. For example, they will be operating a 'ring and collect' service.

Id double check with your LFS if you havent already. Mines in a dobbies garden centre and is staying open.

I think all the maidenheads in England are staying open to :)

Id double check with your LFS if you havent already. Mines in a dobbies garden centre and is staying open.

I think all the maidenheads in England are staying open to :)
You're quite right! I probably should've checked, i just didn't have them down as an essential retailer :dunno:
Cheers for that

They are a long way away, and have to ship overnight air. They are pretty good about using heat packs and so on, but it gets really cold here in the winter, so I usually only order during spring and summer.
Given you have fish flown to you.. I shouldn't be too concerned about the online store being a few miles away. The online shops are much cheaper too so I think I'll give them a go

It's the postage that puts me off.
After Huscarl86's experience with Royal Mail in the last couple of days, I wouldn't trust any seller who doesn't use a licenced courier.

I suppose if you're after a fish your LFS doesn't/can't stock then you're pushed to go elsewhere, be it online, and if you really want that fish then you'll pay the postage too.
Any UK people know of any good ebay sellers?

I would be surpised if your LFS is shut. The one I use classed themselves as "essential" during the March lockdown, which was a lot more extreme, because pet shops were allowed to be essential, and they do sell live reptile food as well as fish and all the associated hardware. If your filter had died during lockdown, an open LFS would have been pretty essential! For a while, she wasn't letting people into the shop, but you could pick up what you needed, including live critters, and she was also doing deliveries to the Central Belt.

I've got shrimp off of ebay, perfectly packaged and reasonable prices for livestock and postage.

I browse tropco a lot, but if there's something in particular i am looking for id use eBay just to search multiple suppliers at a time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back