One long thread of betta questions so I don't clutter the forum

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well, figure $15 for tank, $15 for heater, $30 for filter, $20 for lid, $15 for light. It could be worth it, easy to get it all together. You will still want to get a substrate and plants and hides. The bio wheel filters are okay.
Yep, of course! I was going to ask about that stuff in a second. For plants, I know live plants are better, right? On the youtube channel Fish For Thought he mentioned something about having natural substrate? Is it harmful to have the colored gravel at all?

I prefer to buy my own stuff so I can look at reviews I’ve never had hang on back filters but I’ve heard a lot about the benefits of adjustable flow on hob filters when it comes to Bettas from youtubers such as prime time aquatics and kgtropicals On some of the reviews on that kit some have said the silicone on the tank is poorly done and the light gave out on someone within a couple months so I would maybe have a look at some tanks with better reviews
Ok, thanks! I can't really see the reviews on my page. How did you get to them?

Yep, of course! I was going to ask about that stuff in a second. For plants, I know live plants are better, right? On the youtube channel Fish For Thought he mentioned something about having natural substrate? Is it harmful to have the colored gravel at all?
Not harmful, but most people get tired of it pretty quick. A natural substrate is more likely to make you fish feel comfortable though.

Fish for thought is a great YouTuber to watch there’s nothing wrong with coloured gravel aslong as it’s not sharp. He just hates the look of it and prefers natural planted scapes. Also if you click the link you sent and scroll to the bottom the reviews should be there

In my tanks without cories or loaches, I really like black gravel or pebble, otherwise I use beige sand or play sand.

Last question(s) I'll bother you guys with for now: Live plants?
What are some good ones? I"ve heard that Anubias and Java Fern are super easy, are there any that I should avoid?
How does moss work? What kinds of moss are good?
Does the substrate affect what plants you can/can't have or what you should avoid?
Do plants affect cycling a tank at all?

Question 2: I've been looking at this kit: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks...wheel-led-aquarium-kit-17298.html?cgid=300129
Here's what it includes:
View attachment 128620Sub questions:
  • Is this kit worth the price?
  • Is the filter too strong for a betta?
No, IMO it’s not worth the price.

$10 for a 10g tank at Pet Smart, $15 for a heater, $20 for a decent light, and probably around $20 for decor/plants. That brings the basic 10g setup to around $65. (More realistically $80 for a good setup)

Most filters are to strong, but HOB filters are usually OK as long as they have a sponge over the intake.

Not harmful to have colorful gravel, it just looks bad IMO. If you are on a low budget, I would look into Quikcrete play sand. It’s 100% safe and easy to clean. (Bettas love Anacharis by the way)

Definitely get the ten gallon. My betta was in a twenty gallon! I actually got the twenty at petsmart for $65, and it’s a kit! I like anubias and Amazon sword, and marimo moss balls are nice. I prefer sand for my tanks.

What are some good ones? I"ve heard that Anubias and Java Fern are super easy, are there any that I should avoid?
Does the substrate affect what plants you can/can't have or what you should avoid?
Anacharis, Anubias, Java Fern, Java moss, crypts, lavs, etc.

Aqarium moss grows just like terrestrial moss. Java Moss is the most common and is super easy to grow.

Sand is the best for plants. Some manufacturers sell sand with added nutrition, but it’s usually a lot more expensive.

You should avoid any plants labeled as “expert” or “Co2”.

Plants actually help cycling tanks. They suck up ammonia.

(I would get the 10g, not the 5g. I once had a Betta in a 5g tank, and it just didn’t seem big enough. A 10g is a much better option.)

I personally don’t scape my tanks as they’re mainly for breeding so I opt for plants with roots and a sand substrate and they all seem to thrive with no root tabs. my Betta seems to love Vallisneria spiralis and moss balls but anything that they can rest on or swim between is great, just remember to get a timer for your tank if you’re opting for live plants

I personally don’t scape my tanks as they’re mainly for breeding so I opt for plants with roots and a sand substrate and they all seem to thrive with no root tabs. my Betta seems to love Vallisneria spiralis and moss balls but anything that they can rest on or swim between is great, just remember to get a timer for your tank if you’re opting for live plants
Why would I need a timer?

Plants need a certain amount of light to grow and live, and that light schedule needs to be pretty consistent which is where a timer comes in handy. Different plants need different amounts but if you make them happy they will help suck some of the bad stuff out of the water. I would check out some of kgtropicals betta videos, they used to own a pet store and Lisa breeds and sells bettas online and has made a bunch of videos about caring for them and treating diseases if you’re ever in a pinch :)

Also: for plants, you need light. What kind of light would I need for anubias, java fern, and amazon sword? I'm assuming I'd need a tank light? This tank would be next to a lamp, but it isn't that bright.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back