One long thread of betta questions so I don't clutter the forum

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Water changes- this is the spot where I've got the second to most amount of conflicting information. I've been told to do everything from 40% weekly to 10% bi-weekly. And a gravel wash?? Do you need to do that with sand? Some things say that it's bad if your plants drop leaves and you should take them out, but I've seen lots of planted tanks with leaves on the bottom?

Leaves - a lot of people use things like oak leaves or indian almond leaves in their tanks for the tannins they release so these might be what you are seeing. If a plant grown in the tank sheds leaves, I would remove those.

I do 50% water changes every week. They remove all the things excreted by the fish which we can't test for; they remove disease organisms and so on.
With sand, the tube is hovered over the sand and moved in little circular patterns. This lift the debris off the sand so it can be sucked up. You will suck up sand, especially at first (or if you take your eyes off the tube and stick it into the sand - done that lots of times :blush: ). If you use a bucket to collect the old water, just empty the water, wash the sand then put it back in the tank.
With gravel, the wide end of the siphon tube is pushed into the gravel. If there are plants rooted in the substrate, the area round the plants shouldn't be deep cleaned, only the areas with no plants.

MAJOR UPDATE- I was talking to a friend about my fish plans, and she offered me this empty tank that she has. She says that I can have all of the stuff in it, but the filter needs replacing.
I didn't measure, but I took a picture of the other tank that she has at the corner (Same size) to give a bit more size reference. Pictures attached because they don't want to load in.

Attachments

• IMG-0371.jpg
    IMG-0371.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-0372.jpg
    IMG-0372.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 47
MAJOR UPDATE- I was talking to a friend about my fish plans, and she offered me this empty tank that she has. She says that I can have all of the stuff in it, but the filter needs replacing.
I didn't measure, but I took a picture of the other tank that she has at the corner (Same size) to give a bit more size reference. Pictures attached because they don't want to load in.
It would come with: a heater, a lighting hood, the substrate, the background, the net thingies, the fake plant, and the rocky decoration. It is on it's side, but upright has three holes for fish to swim through. I'm not sure if I would still want to put a betta in it- it seems like a shame to use such a big tank for only one fish.

It would come with: a heater, a lighting hood, the substrate, the background, the net thingies, the fake plant, and the rocky decoration. It is on it's side, but upright has three holes for fish to swim through. I'm not sure if I would still want to put a betta in it- it seems like a shame to use such a big tank for only one fish.
You know that's the reason I have never had a betta until recently. Because I didn't want to waste an entire tank for just one fish. But now that I took the plunge and have a betta with only one snail in a 29-gallon tank, I have found it to be pleasing and enjoyable. Give a try for your betta, he will enjoy the room and show more of his personality.

You know that's the reason I have never had a betta until recently. Because I didn't want to waste an entire tank for just one fish. But now that I took the plunge and have a betta with only one snail in a 29-gallon tank, I have found it to be pleasing and enjoyable. Give a try for your betta, he will enjoy the room and show more of his personality.
I'd love to, but the main issue with that is that I wouldn't really be able to have the tank anywhere in my room, unless I put it on the ground. I'm not sure how much weight my poor old bedside table can hold, and that's by far the sturdiest spot to put it. I don't really want to put it on the floor because of my cat.

I'd love to, but the main issue with that is that I wouldn't really be able to have the tank anywhere in my room, unless I put it on the ground. I'm not sure how much weight my poor old bedside table can hold, and that's by far the sturdiest spot to put it. I don't really want to put it on the floor because of my cat.
Why can't you build a simple strong place to set your tank using cinder blocks and boards. I have done this and it works great. The flexibility of doing this is that if the day comes and you no longer need it, the cinder blocks and boards can be used for something else. Or maybe you can find something cheap and sturdy enough that is already built.

Why can't you build a simple strong place to set your tank using cinder blocks and boards. I have done this and it works great. The flexibility of doing this is that if the day comes and you no longer need it, the cinder blocks and boards can be used for something else. Or maybe you can find something cheap and sturdy enough that is already built.
Do you have any pictures of structures that you have made like that? It's a great idea!!

New tank possibility aside, here was the list I came up with for what I'd both need and like for the original 10 gallon plan. Green is need and blue is want. Both lists total somewhere around $280.
1612906162867.png

Am I missing anything? Is anything on the wrong list?
Links to what I chose:
Heater
Filter
Hide ("hidey log")
Centerpiece For this, I'd cover the base bits with my substrate to make it blend in.
Water Test Kit

Dang, 29G?
What a lucky betta, lol....he has a kingdom...

PS It's awesome to see some fellow Texans here...

Use the cinder blocks with the big holes, not the solid kind, because these are extremely heavy. The ones with the holes work just as good.
Definitely. I may still start with my small 10 gallon tank, and then keep the big one in storage until I'm ready to use it.

Definitely. I may still start with my small 10 gallon tank, and then keep the big one in storage until I'm ready to use it.
I started with a ten-gallon and quickly upped to a 29 gallon because I had bought fish that I learned was too big and too many for a ten.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back