One long thread of betta questions so I don't clutter the forum

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

black_cat

Reaction score
Hello! I'm planning to get a betta, and am trying to learn how to do it properly! I was recommended this site by a friend for question asking. My current pets are four chickens, one cat, and three hermit crabs.

Hi! I'm hoping/planning to get a betta fish sometime in the future, and have loads of questions. I'm going to be making this one long thread, instead of a bunch of little ones, because I feel bad clogging up the forums.
Question 1: Is a 10 gallon tank a good size for a betta? Is it too big? Would a 5 gallon be better?

A 10 gallon is great. Unless the fish is very old with a giant tail, get the 10. Bigger is usually better.

A 10 gallon is great. Unless the fish is very old with a giant tail, get the 10. Bigger is usually better.
I'd probably be getting a fish from the pet store. Would those be ok in a 10 gallon? I know that they sell 'betta aquariums' that are like 1 cup of water that aren't actually good, so I've been trying to steer clear of anything marketed for bettas. Unfortunately, this makes it a bit difficult to determine tank size.

Yes a 10 gallon is great, I think I’m right in saying that 5gallons is the very minimum recommended by hobbyists if you go for a bigger tank you can add more hiding places and potentially even some tank mates depending on the temperament of your Betta.

You have 2 threads going on the same subject, perhaps a Mod can combine them to keep your info all in one place.
@Fishmanic @Essjay

Question 2: I've been looking at this kit: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks...wheel-led-aquarium-kit-17298.html?cgid=300129
Here's what it includes:
1612816501982.png
Sub questions:
  • Is this kit worth the price?
  • Is the filter too strong for a betta?

You have 2 threads going on the same subject, perhaps a Mod can combine them to keep your info all in one place.
@Fishmanic @Essjay
I do? I had made my other thread under the impression that that was the forum for introducing yourself, like the other forums I'm in. whoops ?

Well, figure $15 for tank, $15 for heater, $30 for filter, $20 for lid, $15 for light. It could be worth it, easy to get it all together. You will still want to get a substrate and plants and hides. The bio wheel filters are okay.

I do? I had made my other thread under the impression that that was the forum for introducing yourself, like the other forums I'm in. whoops ?
Yeah, usually the Intro threads are just that, to introduce yourself, then you can start a a thread in the Journals section for specific questions....no harm done ;)

The "kits" usually come with cheapo equipment, I found out, long ago...and stuff you don't need

I prefer to buy my own stuff so I can look at reviews I’ve never had hang on back filters but I’ve heard a lot about the benefits of adjustable flow on hob filters when it comes to Bettas from youtubers such as prime time aquatics and kgtropicals On some of the reviews on that kit some have said the silicone on the tank is poorly done and the light gave out on someone within a couple months so I would maybe have a look at some tanks with better reviews

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back