April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Looking forward to it,
i'm just waiting to hear another "2 weeks"
Or maybe something a bit more obscene,
selling oscars to live with guppies.
That'd be stupid.

I will be visiting 3 more stores tomorrow so look out for the update ;)

okay i'll tune into BBC News... "fish shop owner floored by boxing fish lover" lol :good:

5teady.jpg

ha ha, thats a LOL :good:

Great Sig! Im nervous now to whether you'll be coming into me :S lol
Cant wait to hear about the LFS's tomorow

come tomorrow i will be visiting more lfs and trying a diffrent approach, like asking them about both fishless and fish cycling and getting thier views on it and try to exhcnage my info with them i have learnt.

Hope you have better success with this approach :good:

what're you going to do? judge the worth of an entire lfs based on an isolated experience with one of their many employees? i think that if you're going to go through with this gargantuan task, you'll have to at least talk to a few employees at each lfs to get a good idea about how experienced and trained its workers really are.
Honestly I agree. It's not exactly fair to judge a shop off a single interaction with a single employee. Point data doesn't prove the shop is bad so much that this one employee has it wrong. If you consistently get bad advice from all the employees its a lot more certain the shop is a bad one rather than a lone bad employee.

I know I should read through the remaining 4 pages of this thread to see if someone has pulled up this comment, but I'm lazy so I'm just going to speak my mind:

It IS fair to judge an LFS based upon bad advice given by one employee, because the question being asked is just about the most basic (and for new fishkeepers, the most important) question. ANYONE who works in an LFS should be able to answer that question properly. If they can't they shouldn't be giving out advice, simple as that.

Rock on 5teady, good work mate.

For the record, I have managed to convert an LFS by going there all the time and sharing what I've learned online. I was a clueless noob when I first went there. I had a brand new 5 gallon tank and on their advice I put a bristlenose and nine platies in it. Fortunately I discovered the enormity of my mistake before I killed any of them - I still can't believe they all made it through the two months I had them in that tank.

It's the only LFS in my town (living in the country as I do) so I couldn't exactly wander around randomly into different shops until I found a source of good advice. I did succeed in the end, on here. But I went in and found out exactly what they know about cycling. They do use bacteria in the bottle - only one brand of it, and I know from experience that it actually works. But I told them everything I've seen on the net from the truly ridiculous (suggestions that if I put every fish I have in a 20 gal into my uncle's empty 300 gal, it would still be overstocked) to the accurate (fishless cycling is a more reliable and humane method of maturing a filter). They are seriously interested in the fishless method. While they don't recommend it to customers (because they've never seen it done and can't get ammonia to try it, and wouldnt' know what the internet was unless it sprouted fins - no offence Colin!) they want to know more. They listen to everything I tell them, probably largely because i don't blame them for the bad advice they gave me like a lot of people would have. It's kind of hard to explain, but you have to give people a chance. It's a lot easy to tell a friend that you think you might have a better idea than to reason with somebody who just don't wanna listen - been there, done that.

Being 14 doesn't help because they invariably think I'm an ignorant fool. I have had to march out of a shop with a rescued betta, walk into a department store, buy water treatment and fill the bag to a reasonable level in a public toilet because I could NOT convince them to put more water in the bag than was required to keep the betta damp! I'm not kidding, there would have been less than 100mL of water in the bag. He died a few weeks later of columnaris, I could not shift it. They've also tried to convince me that it's perfectly fine to pinch and prod bettas to make them move and that lethargic, slimy bettas with finrot are perfectly healthy. Oh, and by the way, you can keep males and females - TOGETHER - in the general community tank, with a few oscars. And they Can't Tell The Difference Between A PK Male and A Female. That is SO annoying because they won't listen when i try to explain it!

Excuse soapboxing. But yeah, I think this is a great idea. At least somebody has the balls to do it (because I wouldn't)

Tell you guys what... if I set out an attractively desgined article on why and how to fishless cycle, suitable for distribution (like as a flyer) would people spread it around on the Internet so people can print it and show LFS? If this gets out so people have at least heard of it we might get somewhere.

Great Sig! Im nervous now to whether you'll be coming into me :S lol
Cant wait to hear about the LFS's tomorow

Hes going around local lfs's :)
If you look in his name he lives in Yorkshire ^^
So to travel to essex isnt local.
I'm closer to him that you :p

For the record, I have managed to convert an LFS by going there all the time and sharing what I've learned online. I was a clueless noob when I first went there. I had a brand new 5 gallon tank and on their advice I put a bristlenose and nine platies in it. Fortunately I discovered the enormity of my mistake before I killed any of them - I still can't believe they all made it through the two months I had them in that tank.

It's the only LFS in my town (living in the country as I do) so I couldn't exactly wander around randomly into different shops until I found a source of good advice. I did succeed in the end, on here. But I went in and found out exactly what they know about cycling. They do use bacteria in the bottle - only one brand of it, and I know from experience that it actually works. But I told them everything I've seen on the net from the truly ridiculous (suggestions that if I put every fish I have in a 20 gal into my uncle's empty 300 gal, it would still be overstocked) to the accurate (fishless cycling is a more reliable and humane method of maturing a filter). They are seriously interested in the fishless method. While they don't recommend it to customers (because they've never seen it done and can't get ammonia to try it, and wouldnt' know what the internet was unless it sprouted fins - no offence Colin!) they want to know more. They listen to everything I tell them, probably largely because i don't blame them for the bad advice they gave me like a lot of people would have. It's kind of hard to explain, but you have to give people a chance. It's a lot easy to tell a friend that you think you might have a better idea than to reason with somebody who just don't wanna listen - been there, done that.

Being 14 doesn't help because they invariably think I'm an ignorant fool. I have had to march out of a shop with a rescued betta, walk into a department store, buy water treatment and fill the bag to a reasonable level in a public toilet because I could NOT convince them to put more water in the bag than was required to keep the betta damp! I'm not kidding, there would have been less than 100mL of water in the bag. He died a few weeks later of columnaris, I could not shift it. They've also tried to convince me that it's perfectly fine to pinch and prod bettas to make them move and that lethargic, slimy bettas with finrot are perfectly healthy. Oh, and by the way, you can keep males and females - TOGETHER - in the general community tank, with a few oscars. And they Can't Tell The Difference Between A PK Male and A Female. That is SO annoying because they won't listen when i try to explain it!

Excuse soapboxing. But yeah, I think this is a great idea. At least somebody has the balls to do it (because I wouldn't)

Tell you guys what... if I set out an attractively desgined article on why and how to fishless cycle, suitable for distribution (like as a flyer) would people spread it around on the Internet so people can print it and show LFS? If this gets out so people have at least heard of it we might get somewhere.

I'd be more than happy to send the artical around, Even though i primarily use fishless cycles for setting up quick tanks.
my beautiful tanks are Fishless Cycled. So i think it'd be better for society to at least learn about it, even if they decide to look the otherway.

I'm apologise for you're loss as a begginer, it happens to all of us.
I personally was about 13 and was new to keeping more than a few goldfish and a basic trop system.
When a maidenheads sold me: 2 Oscars, 1 frontosa, 3 Gold Severum, 2 blood parrots, 1 Jag and 1 syno eupterus.
For a 4ft tank. Now these fish were all babies, i continually hastled the guy asking if they'd be fine in my tank.
As even at 13 i knew these fish wernt gona stay small forever.
A few months passed before i managed to get on the internet
and learn all about said fish (when i was 13 the internet wasnt really a thing everyone had)
And at which point moved all of my fish on.
Luckily this was before they grew past 3-4 inches.

But LFS's need to learn.

It IS fair to judge an LFS based upon bad advice given by one employee, because the question being asked is just about the most basic (and for new fishkeepers, the most important) question. ANYONE who works in an LFS should be able to answer that question properly. If they can't they shouldn't be giving out advice, simple as that.

i would suggest it is fair to judge on the comments of one employee. most people, after all, only ever speak to one person when they phone of visit. any organisation is only as good as the people it employs.

i would suggest it is fair to judge on the comments of one employee. most people, after all, only ever speak to one person when they phone of visit. any organisation is only as good as the people it employs.

I agree, I've noticed a big difference in employees in stores I visit. Some will give accurate info up to a certain point. Then when you get beyond what they know, you start getting really bad advise. Like they are making up answers.

Sometimes employees tell me they don't know the answer.

Sometimes I'll ask an employee a question and be redircted to a different employee who is more knowledgeable on the topic :good: . I hold those stores in higher regard. Even if I know the answer to the question already.

Also some stores around me sell mature media from their tanks, they even have the filter hooked up to the front of the tank instead of the back. But they will recommend the fish-in cycle first, only when you ask about mature media do they switch over to fishless. So they do know....

Most reactions

Back