On A Lfs Mission

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

5teady_2012

Here to help
Reaction score
im going to spend the day and next couple of days going to all the local fish stores, or telephone them in my area code.
Im going to tell them im new to the hobby and i have a new tank and see what info they give me and see how many actual mention cycling etc..

I will keep this thread updated as i visit the stores..

obviously i will have to rule out my 2 main ones i go ot..

Time to name and shame all the stupid ass fish stores that mislead and give out bad info once and for all.

Everyone that that gives me bad advice, i will be taken action on as well.

Good one 5teady, about time they were told, i always tell mine but he don't believe a wor di say cause of my age :angry: they tried to sell me female bettas cause they would make my male happier :crazy:

what're you going to do? judge the worth of an entire lfs based on an isolated experience with one of their many employees? i think that if you're going to go through with this gargantuan task, you'll have to at least talk to a few employees at each lfs to get a good idea about how experienced and trained its workers really are.

4 Pets, Outlet Garden Centre, 324 Hull Road Woodmansy HU17 ORU

PHONED..

Told i was new to the hobby...

asked: Could you please help me as ive just setup a new tank and was wondering when can i add fish.

Told: How long as it been setup

answer: 2 days.

told: well, you would be best to wait until the weekend, pop in and get some danios, about 5, leave them in the tank for about 1 week, then you can start adding more other fish that you would like.

asked: why is that, what will they do?

told: they will help your filter to mature, your tank will have to be cycled and the danios will help this happen as iff thier waste, the cycle can start.

asked: i see, so i guess that is what people refer to as a fishless cycle?

told: yes

asked: i read that doing that can harm the fish as it burns thier gills etc.

told: its the best way to do it though, well thats how i would do it.

asked: is there another way of doing it without fish?

told: yes but its not recomended.

asked: why?

told: because a fishless cycle is not the way forward.

asked: why do they selll products then? is it something to do with most of them dont work?

told: most of them are all the same, they all work, but it can take too long and not always effective as using danios.

asked: i read a article on the internet that says you can cycle using ammonia, a lot says that you can get it from homebase.

told: thats not true, that will harm your fish and make the water very bad, chemicals is not a way to go.

asked: but im not adding fish so it wont harm them will it? cant i use it just to cycle without no fish in.

told: Not really, ammonia is dangerous and should not be out in to a tank, your best bet is to come in and speak to someone in the fish department but i can assure you they will tell you the same.

Me: ok, thanks for our help, i will come in and see them...

Whats your thoughts on that one? - i will go in and visit them, and see how they can help me on the fish department

ha ha your gonna get banned from every shop you know!!
why not print off some letters and post them.or chuck them through the doors?
you have balls tho,all credit to you for doing it, wish someone would get a grip of my lfs owner and shake him vigourosly till he started to foam!!!! for the exact same reason that you are complaining about

good luck Wayne ;)

shelagh xxxx

good idea will be intresting to follow this thread's progression.

I am gonna sit here with some Baileys while you do all the hard work 5teady :D

Dont suppose you can ring around those shops in Kent too can you? :lol:

shame those stores. they take you for all you are worth and rely on you not knowing anything!

what're you going to do? judge the worth of an entire lfs based on an isolated experience with one of their many employees? i think that if you're going to go through with this gargantuan task, you'll have to at least talk to a few employees at each lfs to get a good idea about how experienced and trained its workers really are.
Honestly I agree. It's not exactly fair to judge a shop off a single interaction with a single employee. Point data doesn't prove the shop is bad so much that this one employee has it wrong. If you consistently get bad advice from all the employees its a lot more certain the shop is a bad one rather than a lone bad employee.

Honestly I agree. It's not exactly fair to judge a shop off a single interaction with a single employee. Point data doesn't prove the shop is bad so much that this one employee has it wrong. If you consistently get bad advice from all the employees its a lot more certain the shop is a bad one rather than a lone bad employee.

This is exactly what im doing, im going to them as well, although when i ring, i do ask to speak to the most experienced one

Forgot to update, went in to pets paradise, holderness road hull.

One guy runs the shop,

Asked, i have just setup my fish tank, how long before i can add fish, its tropical.

reply: when you add the water to the tank, you need to leave it standing for 2 weeks for the filter to mature, after that you can add fish.

asked: ok, is there anything else i need to do? like add anything to help the tank cycle?

reply: no, just let the water stand for 2 weeks with the filter running, after that, it should be fine.

asked: ok thanks, what fish do you recomend i get.

reply: well i would go for danios at first.

asked: why?

reply: they are very hardy fish and they will help the tank to mature faster.

asked: wont my tank be matured enough after the two weeks?

reply: yes but the danios will help it to mature more

asked: ok thanks, when can i get some guppies and platys?

reply: about 1 week after the danios.

me: ok thanks for your help.

Think i will send him a print off of the cycle thread on here.

I think what your doing is commendable but also a little futile..

The lfs makes its money from ignorance and will also use the same ignorance or anger to cover for their money making ways..

What would possibly be a good idea is to ask your questions then once done hand them an information leaflet that you make up b4 hand with the real facts a novice should be given out and advise them to photo copy it and give it to customers and explain they will keep custom longer that way.. Perhaps??

I wish you luck and will follow your thread with interest, I wish you could go to my LFS

Regards as ever
tag

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back