On A Lfs Mission

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

One of the main lfs i use sells filter already matured *cough* except there is just one problem, the tank the filters are running in there is no fish, i told them about this and they just said: there is enough bacteria in the filters to last months

theres the cost of running all different filters aswell

would they make much of a profit?

TBH I don't think it's about profit. If one of the big arguments is that an LFS will not advocate fishless cycling as it basically means turning away a potential customer and losing out on their cash, then if you provide an 'instant cycle', the relatively small cost of running the extra filters would probably be covered by the boost in return custom, improved reputation etc.

Perhaps i'm too much of an idealist :rolleyes:

Sorry, probs a bit O/T 5teady, didn't mean to hijack the thread

lol this is the funniest thread ever, u guys all sound drunk, swearing at each other and wut not. there r kids on this forum lol, im 12. seriously tho, high five 5teady 4 tryin 2 set ur LFS's straight. i would probly B a copy cat, except 4 the fact that im 12, they wouldn't listen 2 me, theyd tell me i had no idea wut i wuz talkin about! good job :good: . -heart :wub: , ally86ozzy

lol this is the funniest thread ever, u guys all sound drunk, swearing at each other and wut not. there r kids on this forum lol, im 12. seriously tho, high five 5teady 4 tryin 2 set ur LFS's straight. i would probly B a copy cat, except 4 the fact that im 12, they wouldn't listen 2 me, theyd tell me i had no idea wut i wuz talkin about! good job . -heart , ally86ozzy

Well they're not listening to him either, because the way he's going about it makes him sound like a 12 year old too.

What you guys need to understand is that the people that use this forum and the internet are people who are very serious about there hobby and take it more indepth. We are less than 1% of the fish keeping population the majority of people who keep fish simply do that keep fish. They do not want to get into fishless cycles, ammonia, test kit (science), nitrogen cycle they just want to keep fish. Now you try explaining to someone who just wants a few small pet fish to increase the ammonia to 7ppm let it drop blah blah blah and there gonna say yeah cheers for that. For this reason fish shops will always reccomend cycling with hardy fish yes people dont agree with it but its been happening alot longer than fishless cycling and people will always do it. So them saying add some small hardy fish and then add more slowly is the best bet.

lol this is the funniest thread ever, u guys all sound drunk, swearing at each other and wut not. there r kids on this forum lol, im 12. seriously tho, high five 5teady 4 tryin 2 set ur LFS's straight. i would probly B a copy cat, except 4 the fact that im 12, they wouldn't listen 2 me, theyd tell me i had no idea wut i wuz talkin about! good job . -heart , ally86ozzy

Well they're not listening to him either, because the way he's going about it makes him sound like a 12 year old too.

And how do you work that out pauly? i dont go in with a attitude, i give options and plaeny of info about what im doing for them to tell me correct info..

Whats wrong with that?

What you guys need to understand is that the people that use this forum and the internet are people who are very serious about there hobby and take it more indepth. We are less than 1% of the fish keeping population the majority of people who keep fish simply do that keep fish. They do not want to get into fishless cycles, ammonia, test kit (science), nitrogen cycle they just want to keep fish. Now you try explaining to someone who just wants a few small pet fish to increase the ammonia to 7ppm let it drop blah blah blah and there gonna say yeah cheers for that. For this reason fish shops will always reccomend cycling with hardy fish yes people dont agree with it but its been happening alot longer than fishless cycling and people will always do it. So them saying add some small hardy fish and then add more slowly is the best bet.

Totally agree with this. You're fighting a lost cause.

And how do you work that out pauly? i dont go in with a attitude, i give options and plaeny of info about what im doing for them to tell me correct info..

Whats wrong with that?

You're setting them up to tell you what you want to hear, which is your so-called wrong advice. What you need to understand is that they have different needs to you (i.e. business needs, they're doing their job how they've been taught etc). Then you get on your high horse and tell them they're wrong, how do you think that makes them feel?

I understand the principles behind what you're doing, and agree with them to some degree, I just think you could go about it better.

Your approach seems a little Cook/MacIntyre/Beadle-ish. I think if you went about differently you may get better results. Unless you're just out to prove people wrong?

I dont think its a total lost cause.

if you've been paying attention this sint just about getting people onto fishless cycles.
This is testing an LFS's Knowledge of fish keeping and the level of quality of advice given to a customer.
It may not be the intended design for this thred, but its educating people who have to handle with aquatic livestock and sales further.

In response to pauly.
"people are doing thing the ole fashion way"
You wouldnt let the wright brothers mend you're commerical airliner?

Things evolve people much change with the times.

I dont think its a total lost cause.

if you've been paying attention this sint just about getting people onto fishless cycles.
This is testing an LFS's Knowledge of fish keeping and the level of quality of advice given to a customer.
It may not be the intended design for this thred, but its educating people who have to handle with aquatic livestock and sales further.

In response to pauly.
"people are doing thing the ole fashion way"
You wouldnt let the wright brothers mend you're commerical airliner?

Things evolve people much change with the times.

exactly ;)

Just because it's been normal practice for quite some time to cycle with fish, that doesn't mean we just have to shrug our shoulders and accept it.

It's a practice that no longer has to happen, yet out of ignorance still does happen

All im trying to do is, find out the majority of lfs in my area that give out false info or ban info and try to let them know there is otherways and offer them leaflets etc on it, if they wish to use them or read them, thats up to them, but this also give user on this forum to find out the best lfs in our area to use.

come tomorrow i will be visiting more lfs and trying a diffrent approach, like asking them about both fishless and fish cycling and getting thier views on it and try to exhcnage my info with them i have learnt.

I undeerstand that most are going on about danios in lfs to cycle with, but the lack of info given is bad..

they should explain why to the customer they are having to get danios and tell them its to cycle etc..

When they say, leave the tank setup for 2 weeks then add hardy fish like danios is a bit stupid, cos the only reason they are telling them to do this is for the filter to mature, they might as well just say, add danios now to cycle straight away, waiting makes no diffrence.

Im not saying they should not tell them to do a fishless cycle, but at least offer them info as to why, this way the customer has the option to go for a fishless cycke or not.

well good luck, i think people who advise to cycle with fish are ignorant, thats my opinion and i stand by it. It's subjecting fish to toxins and stress that can be avoided.

some of these people plead the "we are old school" card, i still don't buy it.

All im trying to do is, find out the majority of lfs in my area that give out false info or ban info and try to let them know there is otherways and offer them leaflets etc on it, if they wish to use them or read them, thats up to them, but this also give user on this forum to find out the best lfs in our area to use.

come tomorrow i will be visiting more lfs and trying a diffrent approach, like asking them about both fishless and fish cycling and getting thier views on it and try to exhcnage my info with them i have learnt.

I undeerstand that most are going on about danios in lfs to cycle with, but the lack of info given is bad..

they should explain why to the customer they are having to get danios and tell them its to cycle etc..

When they say, leave the tank setup for 2 weeks then add hardy fish like danios is a bit stupid, cos the only reason they are telling them to do this is for the filter to mature, they might as well just say, add danios now to cycle straight away, waiting makes no diffrence.

Im not saying they should not tell them to do a fishless cycle, but at least offer them info as to why, this way the customer has the option to go for a fishless cycke or not.

Bravo,

Good luck on that tomorrow.
because even if they dont follow the advice,
At least we can rest easy knowing that someones tried to make a difference in the world.

Spot on the two weeks thing, 24 hours of waiting time is the most i'd recommend,
and thats just to spot technical faults with the equipment.
If they;re being asked to wait two weeks, i'd want a better answer than "for the fitler to mature"
Because if that filters gona mature without me adding anything.. or adding these god damn fish im buying to "make" it mature
Then i'd be rather interested to know...
As that whole concept seems to be more fiction than the harry potter,
I'd demand (and frequently do) a more indepth analysis.
In which the response i always get is "its what ive been taught to do".
In all due fairness they've been taught wrong.
If i taught an oscar to pull a string to get food, then 2 months later taught it to pull different string
It'd learn. How come we people who are the 'pinnicle' of creation refuse to do the same!

Sometimes the most "pointless" things are the most important.

5teady.jpg

I will be visiting 3 more stores tomorrow so look out for the update ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back