The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FB333

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been performing a fishless cycle on my 25l tank now for 5 days.

Here is the thread covering it, to date, with all water levels and details etc etc. 

In a nutshell:

Added a 1/2 dose of tetra safestart then added 3ppm  of ammonia.

The following day the ammonia level was 0ppm and the water was very cloudy (see pic).

I redosed 3ppm of ammonia and noted the nitrite levels were very high too (5ppm).

Following day Ammo level at 0.5ppm. Did a 50% pwc as recommended.

Cloudiness dissipated but left behind a strange fur at the bottom of the tank. (Video)

Following day, nitrites at 0ppm so redosed 3ppm of Ammo.

Fur seems to be growing a little more, also the water seems a touch cloudier again.

Following day Ammo level still at 3ppm and nitrites at 0ppm. Has my cycle stalled?

Also the white thready fur is getting way longer now. (Video)

Light has been off for 95% of the last 5 days.

I'm concerned that this white fur is in direct competiton with the nitrifying bacteria and is apparantly winning. You can see in the second video it is worse around the filter inlet. I reckon it will be all over the filter foam too.  Really need to know if its bad or good.

I've read it could be the good bacteria colonizing and I've also read it could be some sort of mould/fungus/algae.

I'm starting to think its not bacteria now due to the ammo level not decreasing after 36 hours (where before it was 90% lower after the same amount of time).

Can anyone please advise, it was all going so well...
noexpression.gif

that's some wired S**t,

I would check you ammonia source it should be just ammonia hydroxide, don't smell it
no.gif
 check the ingredients or give it a shake if it doesn't foam its ok

Garbolino said:
that's some wired S**t,

I would check you ammonia source it should be just ammonia hydroxide, don't smell it
no.gif
 check the ingredients or give it a shake if it doesn't foam its ok

I'm using 'Kleen Off' - Ive seen lots of people in the UK use this successfully, hence why I selected this to use in my fishless cycle.

Ive actually sucked 99% of that white stuff up, gently, using the gravel vac whilst trying not to disturb the gravel too much.

I also noticed the flow of the filter seemed reduced, so I removed the foam and just very gently rinsed it in the bucket of tank water I had just sucked out.

I ended up changing just under 10l of water so nearly 50%. I'm using Prime to condition my tap water.

I'm inclined to think its algae, but im really not sure. It did come away from the gravel very easily. I got some of it on my finger, it looked like algae only white/grey.

I'm anxiously awaiting a vet to check out the videos and make comment!!
sad2.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back