Newbie - c.80-90cm wide/c.125 L tank suggestions, setup and general advice (upgrading from 19L)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I promised an update, so here's the new tank.

I'm afraid I lost a couple of glowlights in the transfer (I think I should've done a big water change just before adding them as - despite readings being fine - there was probably some adverse stuff in the water from plants having died - see other thread on that).

But otherwise everything fine so far, with plants, fish and biogravel in. I've also tidied up the 19L a bit - though it probably needs a bit more work.

90819826_10157177309820197_1484684621298794496_n.jpg

90961079_10157177309920197_8824031037144170496_n.jpg

put a picture on the back and add some floating plants

Thanks Colin. Will have a think about a picture, though I quite like the minimalist look - plus there's a lot of vallis to grow up along most of the back, and I may add a red plant in the gap. So I'll see how it goes but will experiment a bit.

Floating plants I already have frog bit (starting to multiply nicely but a long way to go) and a little Indian fern. I may leave it at that, or possible add some Red Root Floater (Phyllanthus fluitans).

Thanks Colin. Will have a think about a picture, though I quite like the minimalist look - plus there's a lot of vallis to grow up along most of the back, and I may add a red plant in the gap. So I'll see how it goes but will experiment a bit.

Floating plants I already have frog bit (starting to multiply nicely but a long way to go) and a little Indian fern. I may leave it at that, or possible add some Red Root Floater (Phyllanthus fluitans).

What Colin was referring to was not so much an actual picture, as some form of backing. I use plain black construction paper which can easily be cut to fit the back glass and taped to the outside. This does calm fish a lot, plus it makes the visual space seem larger and deeper (depth front to back). And black will allow plant and fish colours to be much more than without, as no back does cause stress to fish. The photo attached is my 29g as an example, and you cannot really even see the "back." This does make a real difference to the fish.

Attachments

• 29g June 30-2019.JPG
    29g June 30-2019.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 91
Aha - thanks! Hadn't realised the fish would appreciate it! I'll give the black backing a go when I get the chance. Will also help the filter section blend in better (though the vallis, indian fern and water wisteria should pretty much cover it in time).

Most reactions

trending

Back