New To This...

I'll probably be setting up two separate aquariums. Somebody I know told me that he can just give me a 20 gallon tank to use, as well as a bunch of other things he said he has, such as a filter, a heater, thermometer, whatever it may be, once he gets his house cleaned out. He used to have an angel fish for 2 months apparently. So I could just use two separate filters. But since my brother buys goldfish as food for his snake often anyway. I figured I could save on the ammonia by doing this. Especially since his fish will end up dying/being eaten anyway.

I guess it is up to you then.

I would highly recommend doing a fishless cycle, but if you really don't care about the life of a gold fish, then I guess you can use a gold fish to cycle you next tank.

I am not going to judge you differently if you use a gold fish to cycle a tank, and not worry about it dying. That is your choice. I am just here to guide you along the way! :good:

So yes, goldfish, or any fish for that matter, can be used to cycle a tank.

Here to help!
-FHM

Yep, I appreciate it. Thanks. The Goldfish wouldn't die because of the water in the tank, they'd die because they're going to end up being fed to another living creature. Used as bait or food for the most part. Not really my decision, but since my brother is going to buy them anyway. I might as well use them for my advantage and reduce the number he buys and feeds at once.
 
I'll probably be setting up two separate aquariums. Somebody I know told me that he can just give me a 20 gallon tank to use, as well as a bunch of other things he said he has, such as a filter, a heater, thermometer, whatever it may be, once he gets his house cleaned out. He used to have an angel fish for 2 months apparently. So I could just use two separate filters. But since my brother buys goldfish as food for his snake often anyway. I figured I could save on the ammonia by doing this. Especially since his fish will end up dying/being eaten anyway.

I guess it is up to you then.

I would highly recommend doing a fishless cycle, but if you really don't care about the life of a gold fish, then I guess you can use a gold fish to cycle you next tank.

I am not going to judge you differently if you use a gold fish to cycle a tank, and not worry about it dying. That is your choice. I am just here to guide you along the way! :good:

So yes, goldfish, or any fish for that matter, can be used to cycle a tank.

Here to help!
-FHM

Yep, I appreciate it. Thanks. The Goldfish wouldn't die because of the water in the tank, they'd die because they're going to end up being fed to another living creature. Used as bait or food for the most part. Not really my decision, but since my brother is going to buy them anyway. I might as well use them for my advantage and reduce the number he buys and feeds at once.

When you cycle a tank using fish, you put the fish through extreme conditions! So it is extremely common for a fish to die during a fish-in cycle. But then I guess you can just feed it to your brother snake then.

-FHM
 
Are you going to be getting a new filter as well? If so, you can do a fishless cycle on your 20 gallon. In a fishless cycle, you can go out and buy ammonia in a bottle at a local hardware store. The you can use that ammonia to mimic the ammonia produce by fish by pouring a certain amount of ammonia in your tank and waiting until the bacteria grow.

If you are going to use the same filter that is on your 10 gallon tank, then just simply swap the filter over to the 20 gallon tank form the 10 gallon tank.

..or just run the both filters on the new tank for 6 weeks before removing the old one one
..or just transfer all the media from the old filter to the new one

(if you want to use the new filter and be able to move your fish over right away)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top