New to the hobby new tank already purchased fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Monica22

Reaction score
I set up my tank a couple of days ago and was not supposed to get a fish until my tank had finished cycling. However, one trip to the pet store to get some supplies I kind of fell in love with one specific betta. With some peer pressure I ended up purchasing him. I still want to do a fishless cycle so Iā€™m keeping him in another not set cycled tank that I change the water for everyday. A few websites have said this is okay for a week or two.

I set up a 5gallon or I think 18 litre tank with a filter and heater and have added water conditioner and bacterial starter as the bottle instructed. I have also been adding food because Iā€™ve read from many different sources that this helps start up the cycling process. Two days after setting the tank up I have a bacterial bloom which I am aware is normal for new tanks.

My question is do I stop adding food if there is a bacterial bloom or should I continue to continue to help the cycle? I know bacterial blooms are caused by food or waste. I also know that continuing to put the food in feeds the bacteria but Iā€™ve read it feeds both the good and the bad. But Iā€™m thinking the bacterial bloom is a good thing in a new tank? Does it show that bacteria is present and when it disappears helps show that the good bacteria is building ? I donā€™t feel the need to rush and clear the bloom because I know most people say to let it go and it will pass.

Iā€™ve done a lot of research and understand the nitrogen cycle and I know there is no way to really speed it up or cycle instantly. Iā€™ve done a couple of tests and my nitrites were at 0 and my nitrates seemed to be at 20. I have ordered ammonia tests but havenā€™t received them yet.

Iā€™ve also read a lot about people putting ammonia straight into the tank and I think thatā€™s the same idea of putting in food to create ammonia. Does this help cycle the tank a little quicker? Does putting ammonia in create a bacterial bloom?

I donā€™t really want to leave this little guy in this other tank too long. I donā€™t mind doing the water changes but I feel bad for him. I also donā€™t want to put him in while trying to cycle because I donā€™t want to put him through that stress or wake up one morning to him dead.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to how to get him in there quicker or thoughts and other suggestions that would be so helpful and very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFF.

Can you be a bit more specific...what is the tank size (volume and also dimensions)? What fish do you intend, just the male Betta?

Bacterial blooms are common in new tanks. They have nothing to do with "cycling" but are caused because the level of organics in the water is high and these types of bacteria multiply rapidly according to their food supply (organics). Tap water can often be high in dissolved organics. Once the biological system begins to establish, this should end (the bacterial bloom).

Test your tap water on its own for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It is worth knowing if any of these are present, as this might explain the nitrate.

Welcome to TFF.

Can you be a bit more specific...what is the tank size (volume and also dimensions)? What fish do you intend, just the male Betta?

Bacterial blooms are common in new tanks. They have nothing to do with "cycling" but are caused because the level of organics in the water is high and these types of bacteria multiply rapidly according to their food supply (organics). Tap water can often be high in dissolved organics. Once the biological system begins to establish, this should end (the bacterial bloom).

Test your tap water on its own for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It is worth knowing if any of these are present, as this might explain the nitrate.

My tank is a 5 gallon 16 inches x 8 inches x 10 inches. Itā€™s the tetra 5 gallon kit. I only plan on keeping my male betta in this tank.

I have tested my water for nitrite and nitrate and both came out 0. I have used a bacteria started so maybe that could explain the nitrate?

Should I stop putting food in my tank to assist with cycling then since it turns into dissolved organics? Or should I countinue to put food in my tank to help the cycle and eventually the good bacteria will clear it?

Also, I know I should be doing water changes but Iā€™ve read that doing water changes while there is a bacterial bloom can make it worse and to just let it be and not change the water. Would this affect cycling if I donā€™t do a water change each week?

My tank is a 5 gallon 16 inches x 8 inches x 10 inches. Itā€™s the tetra 5 gallon kit. I only plan on keeping my male betta in this tank.

I have tested my water for nitrite and nitrate and both came out 0. I have used a bacteria started so maybe that could explain the nitrate?

Should I stop putting food in my tank to assist with cycling then since it turns into dissolved organics? Or should I countinue to put food in my tank to help the cycle and eventually the good bacteria will clear it?

Also, I know I should be doing water changes but Iā€™ve read that doing water changes while there is a bacterial bloom can make it worse and to just let it be and not change the water. Would this affect cycling if I donā€™t do a water change each week?

I would not add any food other than what you feed the Betta. A solitary Betta in a 5 gallon tank is not going to have any issues with "cycling." Organics can cause all sorts of issues beyond just the cycle, so keeping them minimal is best. Do regular (once a week) partial water changes of about half the tank volume. Use a conditioner. If you have bacterial supplement like you mention, might as well use it up according to the directions as once opened it won't keep.

The cycle will form here, but you will not see it with ammonias/nitrite tests so that is good. Nitrate at 20 ppm is higher than I would expect it with zero nitrate in the tap water, so work to reduce this. You should see it at 0 to 5 ppm with just the one Betta. Additional or larger volume water changes initially to get this down would be good.

If you continue the fishless cycle process, ( hats off to you for choosing this method) then get some pure ammonia instead of food. It does work faster. If you shake the ammonia and it bubbles then it has detergent in it and you donā€™t want that. Find one that doesnā€™t make bubbles. Only do water changes if absolutely necessary (if nitrites or nitrates get really high, over 80ppm.) Use Tetra Safe Start + as your bacterial additive and donā€™t use Seachem Prime when Safe Start for first seven days. Use another dechlorinator that doesnā€™t Bind ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. Prime will destroy the bottled bacteria when it is just beginning to grow. Hope this helps. Keep us posted and good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back