What's new

New tank and major loss of fish.

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

ctmcquoid2016

Reaction score
Before we begin:
All water parameters are within a good range. We’ve been testing the water daily, and the temp is 75-78.

Ok! So we have two 20gallons and with our recent decision to move, we decided to consolidate to a 40. We set up the 40, treated the water, put the filter in, let it cycle... all was well. Then, we did a water change and added one tank of fish... over night we lost all 6 of our glass catfish. We assumed that with how sensitive they are, it was stress. Huge bummer but safe to assume stress.
Now we are losing our long finned tetras.. one by one. We have a bristlenose Pleco and a rope fish. Along with nerites, one apple snail and Assassin snails.

again. The water is great! So any thoughts? I’m thinking a bacterial issue. Which means a water change is happening again today..

However. We have another tank to add! I believe my husband may have added some gravel from that tank, the other one. (he had good intentions..) but I think that’s what caused the issues.

how can we avoid losing any other fish!!?? They are going into quarantine this week, and then will be added.

Before you add any fish--and certainly do not acquire new fish--you need to sort out the issue. For us to help you do that, we need more data.

1. Please give numbers for tests, always; what some consider OK may not be, and without the number we have no way of telling. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test results (any of these you have). And what is the GH (hardness) and pH?

2. Can you explain how you cycled the new 40g? The filter, was it cleaned at all? And what did you add to "treat the water"?

Do you have reading for your water parameters?

Is this a new filter or did you put the old one back in the new tank?

I'm sure that your tank isn't actually cycled and that's why fish are dying so fast.

How long did you cycle the tank and how did you do it?

Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate readings will help for starters.

Before you add any fish--and certainly do not acquire new fish--you need to sort out the issue. For us to help you do that, we need more data.

1. Please give numbers for tests, always; what some consider OK may not be, and without the number we have no way of telling. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test results (any of these you have). And what is the GH (hardness) and pH?

2. Can you explain how you cycled the new 40g? The filter, was it cleaned at all? And what did you add to "treat the water"?

Reply:
First. Forgive me. I’m doing this at work and posting minimal info because I don’t have all of that readily available. The filter is a canister filter (meaning it’s set up below our tank..) fluval is the name I believe. That filter, was added to the 40gallon 3 days prior to adding the fish from the tank it came from, with a few gallons of water from the previous tank. They were only using an air stone at that point, no issues. When the fish were added, they were added with a few gallons of water from the previous tank again. We used stress coat, double dose, a little aquarium salt, and tap water conditioner for the remainder of the water.
I don’t have the numbers available at the moment. All I can tell you is that the test kit says no ammonia problems and no nitrite issues... along with the ph level is, well where it should be. Ha again. I don’t have the numbers on hand.

no other fish are getting added until we figure this out.

I'm sure that your tank isn't actually cycled and that's why fish are dying so fast.

I don’t have the numbers on hand right now but from what I remember during the test... they were all great. Same as always and my husband is meticulous with water testing. It’s the same filter, but it was set up for 3 days prior.

If we made a terrible mistake, it was an awful lesson to learn. But we did everything we thought we could, in the way we were both informed and read.

Do you have reading for your water parameters?

Is this a new filter or did you put the old one back in the new tank?
I don’t have them on hand. I’m at work. But I know the numbers were the same as always with that tank, and they parameters were great after 3 days with the old filter, running the new tank. It was a mix of new water and the old tank water.

For the record. This old tank I’m referencing... is almost 9 months old.

I don’t have the numbers on hand right now but from what I remember during the test... they were all great. Same as always and my husband is meticulous with water testing. It’s the same filter, but it was set up for 3 days prior.

If we made a terrible mistake, it was an awful lesson to learn. But we did everything we thought we could, in the way we were both informed and read.
If you brought over the old filter and kept media alive by not rinsing it with tap water or allowing the media to dry out, the tank should not have needed to cycle. As long as there was an ammonia source, the tank would stay cycled.

This is also considering that the filter was powerful enough to handle the tank it was on.

I can say with confidence that when there is massive fish loss at the same time, ammonia is the culprit. There's always exceptions of course.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I can't explain the tetra's but some catfish and cory's are extremely sensitive to salt and will die if it's in the tank. I don't use salt for that reason. That said my last two orders were glass catfish and albino cory's and both sets of fishes either died immediately upon being transferred to my tank or within a few hours. In fact I usually buy cory's and catfish in sets of three and I don't have a single set of three left after making several purchases in the last six months - I considered them tough fish but they've turned out to be my most fragile and troublesome.

Numbers as of today. 40% water change last night, no salt added, stress coat & tap water conditioner used on water.

Nitrite - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Ph - 7.6
High range Ph - 7.4.

I can't explain the tetra's but some catfish and cory's are extremely sensitive to salt and will die if it's in the tank. I don't use salt for that reason. That said my last two orders were glass catfish and albino cory's and both sets of fishes either died immediately upon being transferred to my tank or within a few hours. In fact I usually buy cory's and catfish in sets of three and I don't have a single set of three left after making several purchases in the last six months - I considered them tough fish but they've turned out to be my most fragile and troublesome.
Awww I’m sorry you had to go through that. All of our cities are the next tank to move and I’m terrified.

If you brought over the old filter and kept media alive by not rinsing it with tap water or allowing the media to dry out, the tank should not have needed to cycle. As long as there was an ammonia source, the tank would stay cycled.

This is also considering that the filter was powerful enough to handle the tank it was on.

I can say with confidence that when there is massive fish loss at the same time, ammonia is the culprit. There's always exceptions of course.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I posted the numbers above. All is good. but as of today- we lost all of the fish except for the bristle nose pleco, although she’s not looking too good, and the rope fish. Even the snails have died. Trumpet, nerite and Assassin.

Most reactions

trending

Back