New guppy in distress

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Familyfishny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We added a few more guppies to our tank a few days ago, after a week plus in quarantine. They have seemed okay, but I took out a breeder box with some baby corys in it and took out 30% of the water for a water change. Before I even put fresh water in, one of the new guppies was at the bottom of the tank, shaking. She has come up several times into the water column, but seems to have lost her neutral buoyancy. Is it possible that this is a stress response? I checked the ammonia (0) and nitrates (20-40), and everyone else (9 guppies, 5 cories, and a male BN pleco) seem fine.

37 gal, Penguin HOB + bubble wall, plants

Hereā€™s the guppy, FWIW.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 23
In the image the guppy looks OK but I have to admit that it has been over 50 years since I kept a guppy.

While I can't say for sure it is quite possibly stress related. Even within the same breed some fish react differently to water changes. So you got the fish and put in quarantine which is a good thing to do. But you then put the fish in the actual tank and then did a 30% water change. From store to final tank the fish has gone through 4 different changes in water. This can cause severe stress depending on the time span. How long of a time was it from store to final tank? Also, if remembered, how long between each water difference?

Pedrsonally I think the beastie looks healthy but is likely quite stressed.

Others with current guppy experience will probably give better advice but the above is about the best that I can do.

Thanks for the quick reply. It was probably 8 or 9 days store to final tank, and 2 more since then. Itā€™s been a hectic few days, with Cory eggs hatching in a breeder box. The removal of said box included a huge bowl going into the tank, and she was on the bottom before I put any fresh water back in. I am hoping she pulls through.

For water changes: I did three in the quarantine tank, but this was the first since she joined the main tank. So day 1 store to quarantine, several water changes there, then day 8ish to the main tank, 2 days to water change.

Thanks for the quick reply. It was probably 8 or 9 days store to final tank, and 2 more since then. Itā€™s been a hectic few days, with Cory eggs hatching in a breeder box. The removal of said box included a huge bowl going into the tank, and she was on the bottom before I put any fresh water back in. I am hoping she pulls through.

For water changes: I did three in the quarantine tank, but this was the first since she joined the main tank. So day 1 store to quarantine, several water changes there, then day 8ish to the main tank, 2 days to water change.
What you say leads me to even more believe the problem is stress related. Say that you were homeless and went through as many changes as this fish as to even a place to sleep in the same time. Where would your head be? Leave the poor critter alone and cut your water changes in half and no more than twice a week. Let the beastie have a chance to settle in the new home. To me the fish looks pretty healthy but I think it just needs some peace and quite without major changes to acclimate to the new home as would you.

I also believe it is stress.
usually my guppies go to the top of the tank when they are stressed, but some will try to hide like this one.
was there a large water temperature difference in the water change? One of the rasboras had balancing issues after a large water change, and then died shortly :(

Ahhh, water temperature changes... When you do a water change do you match the new water to the tank as to the temperature? If not, you should. I just have a 20 gallon cube so water changes are pretty easy as to ~50% changes. I have a removable tank thermometer and will use it to match the water temperature as to what I'm adding to the tank water temperature.

It is almost impossible to be exact but you need to make the new water after a change as close as to temperature as what was removed. Also, of course, the new water needs to be treated to removed chlorine and chloramines. Sad to say that even this simple step can be complicated. One of the most popular products to remove chlorine and such is Stress Coat. The problem with Stress Coat is that it contains free aloe. This can build up in the fish's gills and kill the fish just as well as chlorine, it just takes a lot longer to kill.

Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it. I do water match; I use a Thermapen and a mix of tap (56F at present) and boiling water to get within about a degree F of tank (73F). My dechlorinator is Seachem Prime. Does that system sound okay?

All that happens in a five gallon bucket, which I then lug into another room and hold it at shoulder height so it will siphon, three times for a 50% water change. There has to be a better wayā€¦ šŸ¤£

I also had some filter drama tonight, so the tank was a very stressful place to be for about an hour. Itā€™s all settled and lights off for the night; hopefully she will recover. Everyone else seems okay.

Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it. I do water match; I use a Thermapen and a mix of tap (56F at present) and boiling water to get within about a degree F of tank (73F). My dechlorinator is Seachem Prime. Does that system sound okay?

All that happens in a five gallon bucket, which I then lug into another room and hold it at shoulder height so it will siphon, three times for a 50% water change. There has to be a better wayā€¦ šŸ¤£

I also had some filter drama tonight, so the tank was a very stressful place to be for about an hour. Itā€™s all settled and lights off for the night; hopefully she will recover. Everyone else seems okay.
The only thing that I notice is that your water temperature looks to be too cool. Others may or may not agree but I'd go for a water temperature of 78-81 F.

Hmm. I used to keep it at 78, but when I asked what an ideal yelp for this species mix might be, and Byron suggested 75. I actually have no idea how I wound up at 72 from that. Iā€™ll turn it up a few degrees; thanks!

The white guppy has definitely lost floatation, and when she swims her spine is curved downwards. She still comes up to feed, but is losing weight. I tried blanched edamame on the canā€™t-hurt-might-help principle; any other ideas of what I should do to support her?

Hmm. I used to keep it at 78, but when I asked what an ideal yelp for this species mix might be, and Byron suggested 75. I actually have no idea how I wound up at 72 from that. Iā€™ll turn it up a few degrees; thanks!

The white guppy has definitely lost floatation, and when she swims her spine is curved downwards. She still comes up to feed, but is losing weight. I tried blanched edamame on the canā€™t-hurt-might-help principle; any other ideas of what I should do to support her?
do you have a new photo? if she is losing weight that much it might be parasites

Here she is. The other guppy she came with looks full to bursting; Iā€™m not sure is itā€™s just pregnancy or parasites. Iā€™ll try to get a couple decent shots of that one and post them in a new post; their color is confusingly similar.

Attachments

• AA267727-4CE8-4F7D-AB0A-87A69C90A36F.jpeg
    AA267727-4CE8-4F7D-AB0A-87A69C90A36F.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 19
  • F5DE5FB5-C11A-430A-B4AB-2560C2BAAA4C.jpeg
    F5DE5FB5-C11A-430A-B4AB-2560C2BAAA4C.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 7BDC1B04-F5DA-4175-83C3-3C8E44BF1136.jpeg
    7BDC1B04-F5DA-4175-83C3-3C8E44BF1136.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 20
And this white and orange guppy is the tankmate who came in with the sick one. The BN came from the same store at the same time, but from a different tank.

Attachments

• 19A45EE2-4085-4276-9557-7A64FF512BAE.jpeg
    19A45EE2-4085-4276-9557-7A64FF512BAE.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 42B93EFD-7951-42CC-A52D-BA7CEEAFA397.jpeg
    42B93EFD-7951-42CC-A52D-BA7CEEAFA397.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 4A69EBA3-2ED2-4D74-ABF0-F99D11FA4BC8.jpeg
    4A69EBA3-2ED2-4D74-ABF0-F99D11FA4BC8.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 20
Here she is. The other guppy she came with looks full to bursting; Iā€™m not sure is itā€™s just pregnancy or parasites. Iā€™ll try to get a couple decent shots of that one and post them in a new post; their color is confusingly similar.
that is really strange
i hope with clean water she can recover
And this white and orange guppy is the tankmate who came in with the sick one. The BN came from the same store at the same time, but from a different tank.
this one is totally ok, that is what a very healthy female guppy looks like

Oh, good! Iā€™m happy to hear the active one looks good. Fingers crossed for the sinking one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back