New 60L (16 gal) BiOrb Life

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fischman90

Reaction score
Hi all,

Used to keep a 25 gallon freshwater fish tank when I was a kid, and now getting back into the hobby after being gifted a 60L BiOrb tank (http://www.biorb.com/en-us/shop/aquariums/life/biorb-life-60/)- about 16 gallons.

I've read a lot about cycling the tank, how long it can take, fish-in and fishless cycling, etc. and wanted to run my plan by this community. BiOrb comes with a water conditioner and a bacteria packet to jumpstart the cycle. The instructions say to get everything running in the tank, put in the water conditioner for 24 hrs, put in the bacteria packet for at least 24 hours, and then get a few (2 or 3) hardy fish to let the tank start cycling. Based on research, for the hardy fish, I was thinking about danios, livebearers, corys, or raspboras. After I introduce the fish, I would consistently check the ammonia levels and do a 20% water change every other day until the ammonia levels even off. My ultimate goal is to stock the tank with 1 or 2 angelfish and 1 or 2 gouramis, along with some hatchetfish. With a 16 gallon tank, I know I shouldn't have more than 16 inches of fish in the tank.

Any thoughts on my plan to get the tank started? Open to any advice. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back