Neon Tetras .VS. Cardinal Tetras.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
๐Ÿ† Click to vote! ๐Ÿ†

So should I remove the ZD? The neons are hiding a lot now also. Is this just because they are new, or is it because they are scared?
Whats happing in the tank. Is your ZD chasing the Neons or leaving them be?

Whats happing in the tank. Is your ZD chasing the Neons or leaving them be?
Chasing them. But Iโ€™m not sure if he is nipping, Or just chasing.

Chasing them. But Iโ€™m not sure if he is nipping, Or just chasing.
I personally would take him out so the Neons can settle without stress. Your ZD is probably excited to have company and is only playing but the chasing will stress them out. If you had some more danios they would just chase each other and leave the Neons alone

Long run you might be best leaving the ZD out of your 29g and add similar tank mates as your Neons such as a group of Ember tetra or Glowlights instead :) more chilled out species

I have Anacharis, 2 types of Anubias and a java fern.
Interesting that you find they grow better in warm water. They usually prefer cooler waters than you have. The danio (if its still in there) and neons would also like cooler waters, as others pointed out.

I had a lone leopard danio (same species as zebra) that an employee added to my bag of neons. As he was alone he was quite aggressive and ended up killing some neons. If he is chasing your neons I would take him out after experiencing what I have.

Long run you might be best leaving the ZD out of your 29g and add similar tank mates as your Neons such as a group of Ember tetra or Glowlights instead :) more chilled out species
Ok, how do I catch it? I donโ€™t want to drain the whole tank. My tank has so many plants, he always hides in the very back behind the plants. I donโ€™t want to ruin the aquascape.

I know you are trying very hard to remove it, but the danio also needs cooler water.

Ok, how do I catch it? I donโ€™t want to drain the whole tank. My tank has so many plants, he always hides in the very back behind the plants. I donโ€™t want to ruin the aquascape.
Try put your net against the back corner of tank (on opposite side to the danio) and gently use your other hand to steer him/her across the tank behind the plants into the waiting net.

I know you are trying very hard to remove it, but the danio also needs cooler water.
Iโ€™m starting to feel like I need to get rid of my ZD. I dint want to do that because Iโ€™ve had it for over 2 years. Itโ€™s been through a lot. I have an empty 5g, would that work for now? (Well, not empty it is fully cycled with no heater)

@Russjw, this is what my tank currently looks like:
A6022E58-F355-4CB3-98FA-152B655E72D5.jpeg

The neons are currently hiding the corner under the filter (back left corner) behind the Anubias. The ZD is staying right behind the Anacharis in the back. I just tried your method @Russjw, no success.

I even tried the โ€œminnowโ€ bottle trap. (Took a water bottle, cut the top off and then flipped it over back in the bottle.) I just caught 3 neons. :/

Iโ€™m starting to feel like I need to get rid of my ZD. I dint want to do that because Iโ€™ve had it for over 2 years. Itโ€™s been through a lot. I have an empty 5g, would that work for now? (Well, not empty it is fully cycled with no heater)

@Russjw, this is what my tank currently looks like:
View attachment 98844
The neons are currently hiding the corner under the filter (back left corner) behind the Anubias. The ZD is staying right behind the Anacharis in the back. I just tried your method @Russjw, no success.

I even tried the โ€œminnowโ€ bottle trap. (Took a water bottle, cut the top off and then flipped it over back in the bottle.) I just caught 3 neons. :/
How about standing the net in the corner with a algae waffer in it. Take a step back and see if he goes for it.

Ive never tried this, the other method normally works for me but worth a shot if your struggling

How about standing the net in the corner with a algae waffer in it. Take a step back and see if he goes for it.

Ive never tried this, the other method normally works for me but worth a shot if your struggling
Maybe my problem is my super small net. I believe itโ€™s only a 3in x 3in net. (I use it mostly only for getting my shrimp to sell)

I will try the method you suggested when I get home. Thanks. :)

Maybe my problem is my super small net. I believe itโ€™s only a 3in x 3in net. (I use it mostly only for getting my shrimp to sell)

I will try the method you suggested when I get home. Thanks. :)
Good luck :)

Id remove the danio, danios have very different swimming patterns than neons, danios are more fast and erratic where as neons bit slower. The frentic motion of the danios are unnatural to a neon and is most likely stressing them out.

Iโ€™m still going to try to, once I get home. I just hope I can catch him! :/

Most reactions

trending

Back