Neon Tetras .VS. Cardinal Tetras.

This is much too warm a temperature for neon tetra (which you subsequently said you acquired). They should not be maintained above the mid-70's F because they will weaken and succumb to this and that. Cardinals would be fine at such warmth, but not neons. What fish are in this tank that need such a high temperature?

Temperature is very important for fish because they are ectotherms and the temperature of their environment waters drives the metabolism and the acceptable range for most species is quite limited.
Mostly for the plants, I find that they grow easier. Will my plants still grow with such low temperature?

I have been trying to catch the ZD a with no success. Any pro tips on catching?

Mostly for the plants, I find that they grow easier. Will my plants still grow with such low temperature?

I don't know what plants you have, but they should. They may not like an abrupt change, but should recover. Better lose a plant that kill the fish over time.

I don't know what plants you have, but they should. They may not like an abrupt change, but should recover. Better lose a plant that kill the fish over time.
I have Anacharis, 2 types of Anubias and a java fern.

Could my ZD be trying to fit into the school? Or is it most probable that he is being aggressive?

I can’t get to close, or he’ll swim away because I was just trying to catch him. I can’t tell if he is just trying to make new friends or if he is trying to chase them.

I need to know soon though, because I leave for an activity soon.

Edit: I’m asking this because I don’t want to come back home and find 8 finless neon tetras.

Last edited:
I have Anacharis, 2 types of Anubias and a java fern.

Could my ZD be trying to fit into the school? Or is it most probable that he is being aggressive?

I can’t get to close, or he’ll swim away because I was just trying to catch him. I can’t tell if he is just trying to make new friends or if he is trying to chase them.

I need to know soon though, because I leave for an activity soon.

Well, without seeing the fish interactions I cannot advise as to what they are, but a lone danio can certainly be expected to become aggressive. I have had to euthanize a fish in similar circumstances, when I had no tank space for a last fish of a group and it became aggressive. Better that than further stressing out the neons, who are already under the severest stress from their capture/transport/intoduction to a new tank.

Well, without seeing the fish interactions I cannot advise as to what they are, but a lone danio can certainly be expected to become aggressive. I have had to euthanize a fish in similar circumstances, when I had no tank space for a last fish of a group and it became aggressive. Better that than further stressing out the neons, who are already under the severest stress from their capture/transport/intoduction to a new tank.
Any tips on how to catch a ZD in a densely planted tank? I’ve tried for about 15 minutes with no luck.

Neons were called Hyphessobrycon innesi back in 1936, but they've been called Paracheirodon innesi since 1983. Do you prefer the older name?
@essjay yes I was aware of the proper name. I wanted to see who was awake and I am glad to have provided @Byron something to expound upon seeing that characins are his particular area of expertise.
Now let us move onto Hyphessobrycon cardinalis later to be called Cheirodon axelrodi by someone who was trying to curry favor with the thief Herbert Axelrod. I call him a thief because he stole intellectual property from Dr. Innes. This was proven in court in 1955.
The Neon Tetra was named in honor of Dr. William T. Innes by George S. Myers A.M. Ph. D. of Stanford University.
The Cardinal Tetras later name came about solely in the interest of currying favor with a nefarious "business man". I will always know the Cardinal Tetra as cardinalis.
Now, about this tetra business. Tetragonopterus doesn't really apply anymore as I am sure @Byron could explain.
Long live the memory of Dr. William T. Innes, author of the greatest aquarium book ever written. Exotic Aquarium Fishes.

Any tips on how to catch a ZD in a densely planted tank? I’ve tried for about 15 minutes with no luck.
Try putting you net sideways against the front glass and slowly guide the danio too it with your other hand. Once in the net close it against the glass and slowly lift up.

Once you have caught ZD I suggest you turn you tank lights off, It will help your new neon tetras deal with the stress of the new surroundings and having to watch the great DZ chase.:eek: I always turn my tank lights off when introducing new fish to lessen their stress.:fish:

Try putting you net sideways against the front glass and slowly guide the danio too it with your other hand. Once in the net close it against the glass and slowly lift up.
Believe me, I’ve tried this a lot.

I have actually thought twice about catching the ZD. It seems he is staying with them and not actually chases them like I originally thought.

It also seems when the ZD swims away (because he is scared) the neons follow. It’s almost like the ZD is their new leader. Is this possible?

Thanks for all your guys help so far. :)

Believe me, I’ve tried this a lot.

I have actually thought twice about catching the ZD. It seems he is staying with them and not actually chases them like I originally thought.

It also seems when the ZD swims away (because he is scared) the neons follow. It’s almost like the ZD is their new leader. Is this possible?

Thanks for all your guys help so far. :)
IMO Cardinal is just a rip off of neon tetra :oops:, but both of them are beautiful, I prefer neon though.

(Im not knocking Neons here they are beautiful little fish) but for me they are a poor mans Cardinal Tetra. Cardinals are bigger, brighter and can cope with warmer temps which gives you more options for tank mates. Cardinals are like Neons with all the extra trimmings :) well worth the extra dollar for me.

So should I remove the ZD? The neons are hiding a lot now also. Is this just because they are new, or is it because they are scared?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back