Neon Tetras .VS. Cardinal Tetras.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GUYS!! I finally caught it! I had to take out all of the plants and some of the driftwood just to get him. My tank doesn’t look as good, but it will grow back in.

I want to thank you all for all your help. :)

(P.S. The neons seem much happier than before and are more out in the open. :))

GUYS!! I finally caught it! I had to take out all of the plants and some of the driftwood just to get him. My tank doesn’t look as good, but it will grow back in.

I want to thank you all for all your help. :)

(P.S. The neons seem much happier than before and are more out in the open. :))
Nice one :good:

:yahoo: :fish::kana: Congratulations. The joys of trying to catch fish with a net. I ended up taking just about everything out of my tank too. I only had 17 red eyed tetras to catch. :mad:

If you have to catch fish in an aquarium, use 2 nets. Use a 10-12 inch net and a 5-6 inch net. Set the big net up against the glass and use the smaller net to slowly guide the fish into the big net. With a bit of practice you can get a tiny fish out of a big tank in a few seconds and with minimal stress to you and the fish.

If you have to catch fish in an aquarium, use 2 nets. Use a 10-12 inch net and a 5-6 inch net. Set the big net up against the glass and use the smaller net to slowly guide the fish into the big net. With a bit of practice you can get a tiny fish out of a big tank in a few seconds and with minimal stress to you and the fish.
Already have several after buy some new black ones to go with my green ones. :nod:

A real quick question guys. Every time I walk into the room, I see 6 neons all in a school, swimming from side to side. (Which looks really cool) But then I see 2 more always hiding in the back. Is this normal? Are they runts? (I have 8 in total)

I sometimes see these 2 bigger ones chasing the smaller ones. Is this sort of like a pecking order? Thanks in advance. :)

Every time I walk into the room, I see 6 neons all in a school, swimming from side to side. (Which looks really cool)
Do they do this if you sit and watch them quietly for an hour? That behaviour is typical of tetras that are being stressed by something.

The 2 bigger ones are probably males and have their territories set up. The others would be females and weaker males that try to avoid the territories.

Do they do this if you sit and watch them quietly for an hour? That behaviour is typical of tetras that are being stressed by something.
When I am in the room for a long time, they all come out and school.

What would they be stressed at? The temperature is at 71-73 and there are no other fish in the tank. (The tank just includes MTS and BRH snails. I also have cherry shrimp)

@Colin_T, so this is normal behavior? I shouldn’t be worried about having neons with missing fish? (By the way, do they just chase each other? Or do they actually nip each other?)

Fish kept in bedrooms often become shy and hide when people first enter the room. After you have been in the room for a while they start to act normally.

You can help reduce this by having a small television on in the room (no sound needed). Or have a fan with some streamers tied to the front. When the fan blows air, the streamers wave about and this can help the fish get use to having things moving around them. You can also have a mobile in the room and as the fan oscillates and blows wind around the room, the mobile and streamers move.

--------------------
so this is normal behavior? I shouldn’t be worried about having neons with missing fish? (By the way, do they just chase each other? Or do they actually nip each other?)
I don't understand what you are asking here?

Sometimes fish will nip each other but it doesn't normally occur amongst neons. Although dominant males might chase and try to nip other males during the breeding season.

The damaged fins will normally grow back in a month or so.

Ok, speaking of breeding, how would I breed neons? Do they have any special requirements? Is there a specific time when they will only breed?

Neon eggs need darkness to develop which is why fry are rarely seen in a typical aquarium. You can read up on breeding them on Seriously Fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back