Neon Tetras Are Killing My Fish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Still doesn't explain why my guppy and barbs died.

No deaths yesterday, but my barbs are to be found near the bottom 'quivering'.

The nice man at Pets At Home offered to do a water test for me, but I honestly don't think it's a water problem. The fish were fine for weeks before I added the neons, the the very next day they all started dying. The test kit I'm using is the same £27 one recommended here (API).

I think I'm just going to have to let it play out and if more die, then they die.

Shame though.

Stop press:

Just had a call from home (I'm at work) one of my three tiger barbs (purchased Saturday as a replacement for the neons at the suggestion of the aquatics shop) is dead this morning.

That means since last Tuesday, I have lost:

8 x neon tetras
1 x white platy
2 x green barbs
1 x blue guppy
1 x tiger barb

:sad:

i have no idea how your barbs are dying. but something similiar to this happened to me as well.

anyways just a thought, dont tiger barbs attack guppies ? they attack long finned fish dont they ?

I specifically told the shop what fish I had (when I chose the barbs) and they said they'd be OK together.. :(

It's a mystery. The shop has said that if I bring my dead bodies in, they will refund my money, but that's not the point really.

uh i would suggest to stop buying from that fish store.

and yes im quite sure that tiger barbs do attack guppies.

hopefully there are different fish stores around your area.

if not thats just badluck :\

theres some threads about checking the fish before you buy them so u know which one to buy depending on their colour etc.

good luck!

Thanks. I really appreciate everybody's help with this.

A brief follow-up to this.

I took my dead fish and some water to be tested/refunded and the manager said that my water had a nitrate reading of 50, which while within acceptable limits, might not be so good for new fish (didn't explain why my existing fish are dying though). Anyway, he suggested not feeding my fish for seven days and doing a 20-25% water change every other day, so that's what I'm now trying.

He also said that I should prepare my new water the day before and have it in the same room as the tank for 24 hours (the cat just loves this!). Is this really necessary? How long does it take Aquasafe to make tap water safe? I had been taking it straight from the bottle to the bucket to the tank.

You dont have to prepare water in advance, I was doing this for a while untill people on here explained that the stuff works pretty quick and the levels would not harmt eh fish, as long as its added its good.

Id stop buying fish for replacments, get a credit note and sort the problem before adding more fish.

If its a problem with not enough good, or to much bad bacteria then keeping the fish as is is the best course.

Leave it it a week, giving the advice above and the medical treatment time to work.

Thanks Keith,
I've had no deaths since Friday, but my one remaining tiger barb was swimming off kilter last night. I'm glad I don't have to have two full buckets of water around the house, with two cats, it's a flood waiting to happen!

I still think (and I know that I'm not an expert) that my neons were diseased when I bought them.

I have a £9 credit note to spend when I'm sorted out. I have a penchant for guppies. I think I'll leave the neons alone for a little while.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back