Neon Tetras Are Killing My Fish!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

There is two parts to the filter, one that's like a sponge and I rinse that in the tank water and put it back. The other is green and is says on the pack to change every four weeks or so. The green bit was changed about 4 weeks ago, ages before the fish started dying without a problem.

Like this:

pixel.gif

[URL="http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetra/go/7B505...&lang_id=20"]http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetra/go/7B505...&lang_id=20[/URL]

Looks like activiated carbon.

1 - Carbon REMOVES your meds - so it needs to come out.

2 - Carbon is a bad choice of media for day-to-day use. Replace it with a standard sponge if you can.

api master liquid test kit

Aye you can get them off Ebay much cheaper than in the LFS

Also I wouldn't bother changing that green sponge again as after its depleted it becomes viable for other bacteria so you tank is able to break down more ammonia and nitrite. Genrally its

Black is Carbon which takes out medicines and somehting else I cant remember
Green is supposed to sort out NitrAte
Blue is your bacteria colony that breaks down the ammonia

so effectivly your green when depleted will be like a Blue, hope this makes sense.

Well, would you believe it. When I looked at the water test kit I have, it is actually the API one recommended.

So did a full set of tests and the results are as follows:

Ph 7.8

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I did take some pictures of the results. Can I post them here? Will try.

Bah! Too big and can't resize easily on my home PC...

looks like you have a trace of ammonia, and do you have a high range test kit? because if looks like your low range PH test is at the top of the scale, so test with the high range to make sure

I'll be back.

What does a 'trace of ammonia' mean? Should I be doing something?

OK, high pH reading says it is 8.0

That's alkaline, isn't it? The shop said my pH was slightly acidic...

The colour was exactly the same as 0, but then, I am reading it under artificial light (it's dark in Essex!)

It's definitely 8.0

Just tested the water in my tap. It's also 8.0.

ShouldI stop drinking it? :eek:

I'm no expert in this by any means, but doesn't his Nitrate seem a bit low? I was under the impression that a fully cycled tank should have higher levels of nitrate in it.

I'm no expert in this by any means, but doesn't his Nitrate seem a bit low? I was under the impression that a fully cycled tank should have higher levels of nitrate in it.
no a cycled tank will priduce nitrates but after a water change low nitrates is normal and better

no a cycled tank will priduce nitrates but after a water change low nitrates is normal and better

Yep thats one reason for water changes, to keep the nitrate levels down. Your ph is rather high for neons as they prefer acidic water eg under 7.0

Most reactions

Back