Neon Tetras Are Killing My Fish!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Tsu

Reaction score
Hi there, sorry my first ever post is an emergency, but I've enjoyed reading your knowledgable fact sheets over the past three months and I really hope you might have some ideas about a solution to my problem.

I have a 60 litre Tetra Art tank that was purchased in November. We cycled it and put the first fish in just before Christmas. 4 x sunset platys, and two ancistrus. One of the ancistrus died about six days in, but the others were healthy. The sunset platys had two babies and they are still alive and thriving. Just before New Year's Eve, we added 2 x white platys and three beautiful blue tailed guppies. Since then we have had no problems at all, no deaths or health related trouble. The white platys have recently started having babies too.

Last Tuesday, I decided to take the plunge and buy 5 x neon tetras. We actually bought the tank because we wanted neon tetras, but I read that they were for more experienced aquarium keepers, so we waitied until we thought we had the hang of it.

Tuesday evening, the first neon disappeared (body never found) on Wednesday, another two died (we found the bodies). I took the fish back to the shop with a water sample. I was told that my water was fine and so I bought three replacement neons.

Thursday, two more of them died and on Friday, another neon and one of my white platy's died.

I started to smell a rat and thought that maybe the neons were diseased and were infecting my other fish, so I went back on Saturday with the bodies and another water sample. The lady in the shop said that although my water sample was fine, the Ph was 8 and that neons like a lower Ph. and that was my problem. I asked about the white platy death, but she said she thought it was a co-incidence that it had died. Anyway, keeping neons seemed a bit too complicated, so on her advice, I bought three tiger barbs and three green barbs. I also did a 50% water change.

Yesterday, we lost one blue guppy and two of the green barbs.

The fish seems to lose their balance and the poor green barb that I watched die, would swim on his back, then float to the bottom, then twitch and come back to the top.

There are no pinpricks or fungus or wounds.

Are my fish being infected by the neons (that are now all dead)? Any ideas what I can do to save the rest of the fish?

can you let us know what your latest stats for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are?

you're probably right about the infection from the neon's, loosing their balance in the water is usually swimblader but that's often a secondary infection caused by something else being wrong.

Hi Miss Wiggle,

The shop that tested my water didn't give me the results, other than to say the results were fine and within limits. My testing kit doesn't give me a number as a result, just a colour card. The Nitrite doesn't change colour at all and the ammonia changes colour slightly.

Not very scientific, I'm sorry..

what test kit are you using, they normally have colour charts but the colours should corresponde to a particular numberical reading.

the problem with fish shops saying that is they sometimes have some slightly funny ideas about what is 'fine' added to which you can't just apply generic levels across the board, some fish will tolerate or like different levels so it's really best if you can get us the actual numberical readings.

would you be able to pop back to the shop and get another sample tested and this time make them give you the numbers, write them down and post them up here?

The vast majority of aquarium diseases are caused by poor water quality so we always need to rule it out before we look into anything else really.

Adding too many fish too quickly can sometimes throw the water quality out of whack so this may be what's happened here, but without reading's it's impossible to say really.

OK, I'm at work all day and the shop shuts at 6pm, so it may not be until Saturday.

OK, fair enough, do go and get some readings on Saturday but you need to do something in the meantime.

I take it you wouldn't be able to get to the shop to buy any meds until Saturday either then?

I asked about meds and was told that most of the 'cure-alls' would be poisonous to my ancistrus. I bought a bottle of Metafin (sp?) and have been using that as directed on the label.

There is a Pets At Home a few miles from me that may have a late night. I'm going to be going there, aren't I?

hmmmm not heard of metafin and google's not yielding anything fish related.

could it be melafix? thats about the closest thing I can think of.

There are some things that your plec would be sensitive too but you would just use a half strength dose usually.

It's a tea tree oil based thing that smells lovely. melafix sounds about right. I'm at work and the bottle is at home.
:blush:

yes that's melafix, it's an anti bacterial medication but it's a fairly gentle one.

good start as I was thinking about suggest an anti-bac med although I would have probably gone for one of the stronger ones like myaxin.

how long have you been using it for?

I've been using the Melafix since Saturday.

Yes, I use Aquasafe (came with the tank) whenever I put new water into the tank. 5ml for every 10 litres. I have also changed the filter once (some time in mid January).

What do you mean by changed the filter? as in giving it a good clean in your old tank water or actually changing the full thing?

You may have caused your tank to go into a mini cycle

Best to get your test results asap

There is two parts to the filter, one that's like a sponge and I rinse that in the tank water and put it back. The other is green and is says on the pack to change every four weeks or so. The green bit was changed about 4 weeks ago, ages before the fish started dying without a problem.

Like this:

pixel.gif

http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetra/go/7B505...&lang_id=20

Can you recommend me a water testing kit please?

Most reactions

Back