Nano Old ball fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ember04

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have always been attracted to the more unusual fish in the hobby, I can only have nano tank due to the size of my house but would still love an old ball fish tank. I have a spare 16-gallon aquarium and through it would be the perfect old ball tank. i like lots of old ball fish but the more unusual looking brown ones are my favourite

my pH is 6.2-7.0 depending on tank set up
my GH is 120 very hard
my KH is 220

does anyone have any suggestions for what fish could work, any advice would be helpful

Hard to do oddballs properly in a 16 gallon tank, what are the dimensions? Your water is not too hard by my standards I'm dealing with 16/17 280ppm territory.

Some more unusual nano fish are things like dwarf moth catfish Hara Jedrioni or the Oil Catfish and Ninja Catfish. Some of the small half beaks are quite interesting and pretty under rated and there are some interesting rarer betta species that are a nice change from the common Splendens (though most of these do need soft water).

The other option (depending on the footprint of the tank) would be shell dweller cichlids. Some good info in this video -
the star of this group has to be the Similis for me but there are a few others. Always wanted to do a shell dweller tank - I have a long shallow 8 gallon tank that Im quite tempted to set up for these but not 100% Once saw a tank where they had a giant nautilus shell in with a load of the regular ones on white sand, black background and they put in a really delicate piece of twiggy wood and it looked awesome.

Wills

Hi there thank you some of though fish look really cool (especially the dwarf moth catfish)
my tanks dimensions are 60 by 32 by 32 cm so it is long and narrow

does anyone know of any other dwarf old ball fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back