Mystery Snail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

oneponygirl

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I asked for a snail at the LFS store the other day that would not eat my live plants and they sold me a mystery snail. Not that I don't trust them, but how can I tell if it really is a mystery snail? There is nothing about them in the pinned topic about snails.

BTW, I named him Hitchcock so I hope he really is a mystery snail. :)

Most of the mystery snails are apple snails of some species, yes. Every so often a mystery snail turns out to be a true mystery but like 90% of them are apples.

Thanks for the link to apple snails. It's hard looking through the pics there, especially since they don't really use common names. My snail has that type of shell but his body looks different. his antenna are much shorter and a bit thicker and his face, what I see of it when he eats, kind of reminds me of a manatee. :) I'll see if I can get a pic, he hasn't come out of his shell yet today.

The fleshy part of the snail won't help you much. They can adjust the thickness and length of their antennae quite easily. The shell is the best part to examine.

Here is the best pic I could get so far. The other side of his shell come out a bit to a point as it whirls around to the middle.

SnailCrop.jpg

His body is dark and kind of has some spots now that I can see him enlarged in the photo.

The other side is the important half to get a photo of if possible. It resembles a Canaliculata snail to me which is one of the more common mystery snail species but I could be totally wrong. S/he looks good though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back