Mystery Snail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh dear, Mystery v. canaliculata apple, well I guess he really is a mystery isn't he? I did a lot of looking for pics online today and I didn't find anything that could help me identify him one way or the other. I may never know I guess but that's OK. Thanks for the assistance. If there you guys have any other links I should look at with pics feel free to post them. I wouldn't mind comparing him to a "known" snail. :)

Looks like a 90 degree angle between the spirals to me, which indicates pomacea bridgisii. Check out Rains pinned post above and also http://www.applesnail.net

Jon

p.s. Love that snail in your sig snailguy

I thought it might be a bridgesii at first but then thought, no, it didn't quite look right. I hate trying to id those buggers. :p

I think bridgesli have the syphon on the left side of their head. My Apple Snail does and it does not eat the plants which means it is a bridgesli.. Just crushes them a bit as it strolls about! :)

I have not seen a syphon on this guy all though I'm sure that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have one. He doesn't eat my live plants either. Last night he did climb up the cord from my heater though which was interesting to watch. I'll go back to applesnails.net when I have more time. Today is going to be a bit busy for research. :)

Definitely a Pomacea bridgesii :)
It´s hard to tell the colour since it has lots of algae and dent's and holesm but the shell looks light and it has dark foot, maybe a blue?

All the Pomacea species have the siphon on the same side (uhm, if you look at the snails face, it is on the right side of the head), here's a picture of basic Pomacea anatomy:
pomacea.gif

Oh, and I can show the siphon from your first picture, it isn't extended, so it looks just like a tiny fold of skin, which it exactly is :)
snailsiphon.jpg

I think they call them mystery snails because it's hard to identify the species if you don't know how to do it very well. :p

Sorry to disagree but my Bridgesli most definitely has the syphon on the left side of it's head! That is how someone on another forum identified it for me. :)

morgan said:
Sorry to disagree but my Bridgesli most definitely has the syphon on the left side of it's head! That is how someone on another forum identified it for me. :)
If you read the post again - Rain- says the same as you :)
"if you look at the snails face, it is on the right side of the head"
So its on the snails left :)

pomacea bridgesii - I think we have a winner! I agree the yellow-black picture looks a lot like my guy. Or it would if mine weren't covered with algae. Speaking of, is there anyway to clean him off?

The website states this about this snail "The yellow variation is well known in the aquarium trade as the golden mystery snail". So does that mean that this variety is one that is called a Mystery snail as well. It is my understanding that all mystery snails are apple snails but not all apple snails are mystery snails. Do I make sense?

Thanks guys!!!!!

oneponygirl said:
Speaking of, is there anyway to clean him off?
i suppose you could tank him out of the tank for a few seconds and give a quick scrub with an unused toothbrush...i like algae on snails - makes them look like they think they are camoflaged :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back