My Two New Girls!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-FighterFishh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I bought two new platies for my 64L tank yesterday! They're still a little shy but to me they're very pretty :wub:

20pzrxy.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo! They're still pretty wary of me, but they seem to be enjoying the tank!
On the blue one, she seems to have a speck of fungus on her tail. It's a newly set up tank, so should I treat it or leave her to her own devices? It seems to have gotten smaller even since I put them in the tank, though, so I'm not too worried!
Also, since they're so wary of me they don't really eat except for nibbling on the plants. I tried dropping in a flake above their heads but the swam away. Any ideas of how to get them to eat?
Also, any suggestions on names!? :D
Thanks!

I adore Platys, well done. Yours are stunning - what a shame about the fungus & I'm sorry I can't help as I'm new to all of this too. I can't wait to read the advice you're going to get about it tho. Will be so helpful for any future probs they might get.

Thankfully the fungus seems to have disappeared - maybe the water quality cleared it up! My only concern now is trying to get them to feed. Any ideas on that?

they will eat when there hungry if you want them to eat straight away feed them some live food they can't resist it.
i bought some halfbeaks yesterday i let fish out of bag fed them some daphnia'water fleas ) and cyclops they started to eat straight away a photo of male halfbeak full of food.
View attachment 62502

got these 2 days ago all feeding well on live food

View attachment 62503

They're pretty - What are they?
My two girls were around the top so I took my chance and dropped in one flake. They let it circle the tank then both went for it at once and made each other jump, but one got a chomp out of it. The other I'm not so concerned about as I always see her nibbling on bits algae around the tank, but I'll drop in two flakes tomorrow just in case :lol:

View attachment 62503

My two girls were around the top so I took my chance and dropped in one flake. They let it circle the tank then both went for it at once and made each other jump, but one got a chomp out of it. The other I'm not so concerned about as I always see her nibbling on bits algae around the tank, but I'll drop in two flakes tomorrow just in case :lol:
they are Girardinus metallicus a very peaceful and easy fish to breed

View attachment 62503

they are Girardinus metallicus a very peaceful and easy fish to breed

They're very pretty :) I've never seen them before. They look quite small, do they shoal?

The metallicus are commonly called black chins. You will seldom see them in a pet shop but they are fairly common in the hobby. The easiest way to find less common things like the black chins is to join a club or attend club auctions. You will see things at club auctions that you might never see anywhere else. These are my own black chins feeding at a brine shrimp hatchery in their tank.
black_chin800.jpg

The metallicus are commonly called black chins. You will seldom see them in a pet shop but they are fairly common in the hobby. The easiest way to find less common things like the black chins is to join a club or attend club auctions. You will see things at club auctions that you might never see anywhere else. These are my own black chins feeding at a brine shrimp hatchery in their tank.
black_chin800.jpg

They're very nice :)
Look a little bit like endlers except less colourful! :lol:

Size of endlers but hardly similar in appearance. These are my wild type endlers at feeding time.
CenterShot.jpg

Yes, I have a hair algae problem in that picture.

Lovely platies you got, i have a sword with the same black pattern :good:

Thank you!
They're eating really well now. They've definitely worked out that the light coming on means food! :lol:
Here's a better picture of them both
161g55z.jpg

The blue girl has a gravid spot, so if any of her fry survive I'd love some more like her :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back