My Sorority Begins.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They look nice (you'll have to post pics when you actually get them :)).

I went back to the shop for those two yellow girls like yours but I didn't get either in the end; one seemed quite an aggressive little thing and the other wasn't so aggressive but kept chasing one around the tank. There were some nice blue ones which would have been ideal but 4 of my girls are blue and I wanted somthing different.

awweww there'sa shame. keep an eye out you never know what you'll find. xx

You are so lucky to be able to find such a wide range of colors of female betta's in LFS. The LFS i work in only carries the most common colors always. Blue, Red, Albino mixed , and a mixture of a few colors. I have been looking for an orange female betta forever and have had no luck. Sad that i have yet to find a quality LFS in NYC that carries exceptional colored female betta's. Perhaps i will start ordering from the IBC some female betta's as i am tired of breeding the same colored females.

Also im curious as your addition to more females going in with the ones you already have. I have read reports of the new arrivals being picked on as the ones already established in the tank have become territorial over their space. I never have had a sorority before but always wondered if some people have had luck even in these situations.

from what i understand, i take the "oldones" out of the tank...move the decor around a bit to make it look different to the fish, then acclimatize and reinteoduce all of them to the tank together, so that neither female feels they are the alpha

thats how i understand it

moving stuff around and replacing the decor, will only cause agitation to the bettas. It will mean a reshuffle of dominance and is more likely to cause aggression than calmness for all involved.

Put any new bettas straight in, after acclimatizing them, they won't be able to avoid any aggressiveness , unless they are not a dominant female :good:

My girls take a couple of days to realign, after any new betta is added. A few nipped fins but nothing that good old clean water can't fix.

Personally, I always have a shuffle around of decor and remove the established females to a bag for 30 mins or so. This seems to work really well for me and have no aggression whereas I used to have terrible nipping issues when I first had a sorority and didn't do this.

Everyone has different ways of doing things though :)

OK sliverrabbit, my tank is due a thorough clean tomorrow, so shall rearrange and reintroduce together, even if it is just one or two things that get moved. cheers

Hello there my nnew girls arrived this morning, they are in their tank, and finding their fins.....arguing already.
no bad fighting, just flaring and seeing whats what.

This is Violet

IMG_0333-1.jpg

This is Violet ( front) and Jade ( behind bridge)

IMG_0323.jpg

This is Sparkle

IMG_0324-1.jpg

This is Crystal

IMG_0349-1.jpg

Another pic of Strawberi, and Peaches

IMG_0336.jpg

so theres all my girls.
They are trying to establish a pecking order, flying around the tank with each other. and being enquisative, ( sorry bad spelling) but nothing like nipping yet.

I'm glad you eventually got your girls :good: They're absolutely beautiful! Violet is especially stunning :D

yes she is stunning, and crystal and sparkle I think, are pastel cambodians....btw, labelled them wrong way around. crystal has a mid caudal fin break, not sparkle. sparkle is a lot smaller than crystal although you cant see that on the photos. I am starting to wander if Violet ansd Sparkle are boys. Does anyone else think so ?

I love Jade and Sparkle. Sparkle has the same colouring as my halfmoon male. And tbh the colours on your new ones look much nicer than the LFS females you bought, though they're pretty too.

I'm no expert as I've never kept females, but Violet and Sparkle look like girls to me. Have you seen any sign of beards when they flare?

not a full beard like onmature males, but Violet is definately trying to dominate all of them, all my original 4 have nipped finnage...not sure who is the culprit, but vi has done a lot of chasing...fast little begger

not a full beard like onmature males, but Violet is definately trying to dominate all of them, all my original 4 have nipped finnage...not sure who is the culprit, but vi has done a lot of chasing...fast little begger

See if you can see their ovipostor (spelling) white dot under their belly to see if they are boys.

They all look very nice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back